RD-0194 rattles

13»

Comments

• CH46E
    CH46E Posts: 3,521
    F1nut wrote: »
    They will definitely work in those speakers.

So in my 11t I take out the tweeters and the black wire was hooked to the positive side as scribed into the plastic. The new 194s only have a red colored lead and a non colored lead. No positive or negative markings. I am assuming red is positive on the tweeter? And black is positive in the speaker? Never seen black for positive.
  • CH46E
    CH46E Posts: 3,521
    After some digging around I think I found my answer. Black to red dot.

Listening to them now. They do look better imo.

sratc5s0gfrm.jpg
  • VSAT88
    VSAT88 Posts: 1,226
    Yep, you got it !
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    Wanted to pop back in here. I was listening to music yesterday...including my horribly resonant Rd0-194. So I messed with the tweeter, I have nothing to lose. If I push the outside of the silk dome in lightly in a circle around the whole tweeter the issue COMPLETELY stops. Even on piano tracks I dreaded before. Now I am trying to think of what I can do to keep it that way, I would say it comes back out and is resonant again maybe an hour after pressing on the dome.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    sounds like a glue problem maybe
  • codycatalist
    That's what I was thinking as well. Not sure how willing I am to try and take it apart to glue it however I have another that does this so I can just run a bead of glue around the diameter of the dome. See if it makes a difference.

I wonder if it was sent out with issues or if that separated when tightening the screws, I know some don't drop in perfectly and bend it to an extent.

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
  • pitdogg2
    That's what I was thinking as well. Not sure how willing I am to try and take it apart to glue it however I have another that does this so I can just run a bead of glue around the diameter of the dome. See if it makes a difference.

I wonder if it was sent out with issues or if that separated when tightening the screws, I know some don't drop in perfectly and bend it to an extent.

washers on the back so you do not flex the bezel ?
  • codycatalist
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

washers on the back so you do not flex the bezel ?

I remember seeing that posted by F1 before, sadly I haven't gotten around to it. After I am done setting up my kids bday party today I might run down to Ace or Lowes. Can't hurt.

• adam2434
    adam2434 Posts: 995
    FYI, I ordered a replacement 194 in Nov., glued on the washers, and the new one had distortion similar to the one it was replacing.

Polk sent me a second one and it seems ok so far. I glued washers to this one too.

I also removed the good older one and glued washers to it. I also moved it to the other speaker while testing the first new one just to make sure the distortion followed the tweeter. It did.

5.1 and 2.0 ch Basement Media Room: Outlaw 975/Emotiva DC-1/Rotel RB-1582 MKII/Rotel RB-1552/Audiosource Amp 3/Polk LS90, CS400i, FX500i/Outlaw X-12, LFM-1/JVD DLA-HD250/Da-Lite 100" HCCV/Sony ES BDP/Sonos Connect. DC-1/RB-1582 MKII/Sonos Connect also feed Polk 7C in garage or Dayton IO655 on patio.
    2.1 ch Basement Gym: Denon AVR-2807/Klipsch Forte I or NHT SB2/JBL SUB 550P x 2/Chromecast Audio.
    2.0 ch Living Room: Rotel RX-1052/Emotiva DC-1/Klipsch RF-7 III/Sony ES BDP/LG 65" LED.
    2.0 ch Semi-portable: Klipsch Powergate/NHT SB3/Chromecast Audio.
    Kitchen: Sonos Play5.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Before this became an obvious issue I also had some noise from my brand new RDO-194s. I can't remember if they wanted the noisy ones back but Polk did in fact send me a new set of 194s. I will try to show a bill for 2 new 194s which is at least 1 year after I got the originals. Not knowing of the possible bezel problem they said it Might be a x-over problem which I doubted because they were upgraded. Seems like a very easy fix #10 stainless washers, a bit of silicone ,gasket dry then apply.

A little super glue works, do not know that I'd use silicone. As long as it is dried outside of the box maybe no problems. I think @verb used super glue to hole them in place to mount.
    Yep Superglue worked for me. Tiny drop just to keep the washers in place until you tighten everything down.
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • VSAT88
    VSAT88 Posts: 1,226
    Crazy or not. I have not put in any backing of any kind you know such as dampening material on either of my RDO-194 tweeters. I do not think (on the SDA 2b's anyway) that I ever put any washers on the back. I kept right on listening to them and now I do not hear the buzzing (resonating) sound any more. Wonder if multiple hour break in stopped it. Please don't call me stupid, just trying to get to the bottom of this...
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,635
    I was going to post this in the SL2000 HACK thread, but remembered this one pertains to the RDO-194s specifically. I have listened to these modded Dayton DC28F-8 silks to the RDO-194 frames for multiple listening sessions with nary a single hitch/resonance. I can difinitively say that it must be something going on with the RDO-194 domes or where they meet with their plastic frames.

xka11x06wnnx.jpg
    d0o9w87yktmd.jpg
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • codycatalist
    Hmm I wonder if I should attempt to reglue the dome. How hard y'all think that'll be?

• xschop
    Have you removed the 4 set screws and frame to look at the replaceable coil/dome where it is attached to plastic base?
  • codycatalist
    xschop wrote: »
    Have you removed the 4 set screws and frame to look at the replaceable coil/dome where it is attached to plastic base?

Haven't even thought of it. I know of the SL2000 hack with replacing the dome, would that be close enough to follow with the 194s?

• xschop
    The 194's are rebuildable without having to glue silk domes. You can remove square frame and adjust the silk dome/plastic inner frame and then remount square frame.
  • codycatalist
    xschop wrote: »
    The 194's are rebuildable without having to glue silk domes. You can remove square frame and adjust the silk dome/plastic inner frame and then remount square frame.

Anything I need to be aware of before jumping in? I will probably do this tonight on one of my extras with the same issue.

• xschop
    edited January 2019
    Find the Sl2000 hack thread. Some good pics of the 194 rebuild. BTW while you're in there, see if there is a thin foam gasket between coil plastic piece and the large square frame. None of the four I took apart had anything like that. These Dayton silks do and could be one of the issues with the 194s resonating there.
  • codycatalist
    No the foam gasket, I did take apart a spare sl2000 and I used the paper gasket from that. It dulled the sound on the Rd0 a bit. Heck, it didn’t hurt nothing and experimenting is fun.

After seeing that the 194 is like you said @xschop a 3 piece deal with no glue I figured I would tighten the screws that hold the tweeter together on my “better but not perfect” Rd0. Hmm preliminary tests can pull out less resonance than before. The screws didn’t tighten much but they moved a little. I’ll listen to some problematic tracks more and report back.

• xschop
    Can anyone confirm that the 194's vs. the 198's angle on the tweeter hole opening is the exact same between the two?
    It looks to be 15-20 degrees past vertical on these 194s I have.
    I'm starting the billet face-plate replacement project and assume that the magnets and diapragms are the same between the 194/198 also?
  • xschop
    Nix that. Just remembered DK's excellent tweeter thread. The frames look to be exactly the same.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    I've had both, the plastic bezels appeared to be exactly the same.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• xschop
    Would an inner radius around the tweeter hole be beneficial?
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    For whom?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• xschop
    For the tweeter dispersion. Getchamineoutdagutta.
  • lms
    lms Posts: 26
    Can one swap the plastic surrounds/bezels from the SL-2000's to the 198's thus elevating having to use washers?
  • pitdogg2
    lms wrote: »
    Can one swap the plastic surrounds/bezels from the SL-2000's to the 198's thus elevating having to use washers?

@xschop
  • xschop
    The magnet bolt pattern is different and the 198 dome will set further in the sl2000 throat.
  • lms
    lms Posts: 26
    Oh well, washers it is I guess. thx.