Bi-Amp S60's or not with Sony STRDN1080

Hi All, I am looking for some guidance on how to eek the most out of these great towers. The DN1080 is rated at 165WPC 6-ohm to 1 Driver. I current have them bi-amped to the receiver. I assumed this would be appropriate considering their is 3 woofers and powering them with one amp would not be taking full advantage of the speakers. Feel free to correct me on any of this - any guidance is greatly appreciated.

Is this a safe set up for these towers? Should I skip the bi-amp and revert it back to stock with the metal jumper plate/single wiring? Will I sacrifice output or sound quality if I do this ( I know its all up to what sounds better to me but I'm looking for general advice). Bonus question that's receiver specific - what is my actual output to these speakers considering there is 3 drivers and the receiver rating is referencing output to one driver(165WPC to 1 driver).

Feel free to correct me on any of this - any guidance is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• delkaldelkal Posts: 419
    edited January 12
    We recently (in the last month) had a post similar to this. Search for it.

The general consensus here seems to be that Biamping with an AVR doesn't work (up to AVR's should NEVER be used for music). But I say try it and listen for yourself. Sounds like you are already set up for Biamping so listen for a while and switch it back. All you need to do is swap 2 cables.

Report back if there is a difference.
  • nooshinjohnnooshinjohn Posts: 19,295
    edited January 12
    It isn’t bi-amping, as an AVR has only one power supply and generally not a very good one. There will be no sonic improvements made from doing so.

Your information here is wrong. 165WPC 6-ohm to 1 Driver makes no sense. Receivers divide their power into channels, with each channel being one speaker. It does not matter how many drivers a speaker has. Your Sony sees it as one speaker..
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, TriangleArt Reference SE with Pass Labs Xono Phono Preamp, Walker Precision Motor Drive, ClearAudio Goldfinger Diamond v2 cartridge and Origin Conquerer Mk3c tonearm, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Pass Labs X0.2 three chassis preamp, PS Audio PerfectWave DAC MkII, Pioneer Elite SC-65, Oppo UDP-205 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds.

Saying that it's "too hard" to pursue your dreams is no different than admitting to yourself that you are too lazy to achieve them.

• cfrizzcfrizz Posts: 13,196
    Welcome to Club Polk. :)

You would be better off skipping the bi-amp since all you really doing is putting more strain on the power supply, which can be stressed enough with the speakers.

How many speakers are you running, if it is just the S60's your Sony might be putting out the 100wpc that it states it has. If you are running a full 5.1 channel system, then you are lucky if you are getting 80wpc to each speaker.

I overstated. Here are the bench test results.

Test Bench
    Two channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads:
    0.1% distortion at 98.9 watts
    1% distortion at 121.4 watts

Five channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads:
    0.1% distortion at 66.2 watts
    1% distortion at 90.7 watts

Seven channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads:
    0.1% distortion at 64.4 watts 1% distortion at 75.5 watts

If you can/are willing to do so, you can get a new receiver from Marantz, Denon etc. that has more power, and more importantly has preamp outputs to get a separate amplifier to give those S60s all the power that they want to operate to their full potential. Something like this would be better

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_642SR6012/Marantz-SR6012.html

Then you will hear what these great speakers can do. I know because I have a pair myself.

Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 ch. 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony Bravia KDL-40R510C TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Boston VR-920 Center Channel, SVS NSD-12 SB12 Subwoofer, Polk DSW 400 Subwoofer, Polk FXi-3 Surround Speakers
  • rburgess714rburgess714 Posts: 340
    edited January 17
    Don’t bother bi-amping with an avr. Replace the brass jumpers with small pieces of speaker wire. Easy cheap upgrade.
    Living Room
    Yamaha Aventage RX-A 1060, Parasound P5, Parasound A23, Yamaha BD-S681, Auralic Aries Mini, Polk S60, Polk S30, Samsung 60" LED

Office
    B&K Ref 50, B&K 200.2, Chromecast, LSiM 703s

Douglas Connection ICs and Cables
  • mrlorenmrloren Posts: 1,702

like this
    7qz0j8gb9ay1.jpg
    Don’t bother bi-amping with an avr. Replace the brass jumpers with small pieces of speaker wire. Easy cheap upgrade.

When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.

Family Room:
    Samsung UN60H,
    Denon AVR-X4400H, Emotiva XPA3 GEN3
    Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM, Sony DVP-NS3100ES, WD Live HUB.
    Main: Polk Signature S60
    Center: Polk CSi-A6
    Front High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT
    Surrounds: Polk S15
    Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5

Bed Room;
    Sony KDF-E42A10,
    Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270
    Main: Polk Signature S20
    Center: Polk Signature S35
    Rear: Polk R15
    Sub: HSU STF-2