Bi-Amp S60's or not with Sony STRDN1080

Hi All, I am looking for some guidance on how to eek the most out of these great towers. The DN1080 is rated at 165WPC 6-ohm to 1 Driver. I current have them bi-amped to the receiver. I assumed this would be appropriate considering their is 3 woofers and powering them with one amp would not be taking full advantage of the speakers. Feel free to correct me on any of this - any guidance is greatly appreciated.

Is this a safe set up for these towers? Should I skip the bi-amp and revert it back to stock with the metal jumper plate/single wiring? Will I sacrifice output or sound quality if I do this ( I know its all up to what sounds better to me but I'm looking for general advice). Bonus question that's receiver specific - what is my actual output to these speakers considering there is 3 drivers and the receiver rating is referencing output to one driver(165WPC to 1 driver).

Feel free to correct me on any of this - any guidance is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• delkal
    delkal Posts: 764
    edited January 2019
    We recently (in the last month) had a post similar to this. Search for it.

The general consensus here seems to be that Biamping with an AVR doesn't work (up to AVR's should NEVER be used for music). But I say try it and listen for yourself. Sounds like you are already set up for Biamping so listen for a while and switch it back. All you need to do is swap 2 cables.

Report back if there is a difference.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,033
    edited January 2019
    It isn’t bi-amping, as an AVR has only one power supply and generally not a very good one. There will be no sonic improvements made from doing so.

Your information here is wrong. 165WPC 6-ohm to 1 Driver makes no sense. Receivers divide their power into channels, with each channel being one speaker. It does not matter how many drivers a speaker has. Your Sony sees it as one speaker..
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Welcome to Club Polk. :)

You would be better off skipping the bi-amp since all you really doing is putting more strain on the power supply, which can be stressed enough with the speakers.

How many speakers are you running, if it is just the S60's your Sony might be putting out the 100wpc that it states it has. If you are running a full 5.1 channel system, then you are lucky if you are getting 80wpc to each speaker.

I overstated. Here are the bench test results.

Test Bench
    Two channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads:
    0.1% distortion at 98.9 watts
    1% distortion at 121.4 watts

Five channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads:
    0.1% distortion at 66.2 watts
    1% distortion at 90.7 watts

Seven channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads:
    0.1% distortion at 64.4 watts 1% distortion at 75.5 watts

If you can/are willing to do so, you can get a new receiver from Marantz, Denon etc. that has more power, and more importantly has preamp outputs to get a separate amplifier to give those S60s all the power that they want to operate to their full potential. Something like this would be better

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_642SR6012/Marantz-SR6012.html

Then you will hear what these great speakers can do. I know because I have a pair myself.

Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • rburgess714
    rburgess714 Posts: 614
    edited January 2019
    Don’t bother bi-amping with an avr. Replace the brass jumpers with small pieces of speaker wire. Easy cheap upgrade.
    Living Room
    Parasound HINT 6, Yamaha Aventage RX-A 1060, Yamaha BD-S681, Cambridge Audio Azur 851N, Polk S60, Polk S30, Samsung 60" LED

Office
    Cambridge Audio 851A, Auralic Aries Mini, LSiM 703s

Douglas Connection ICs and Cables
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454

like this
    7qz0j8gb9ay1.jpg
    Don’t bother bi-amping with an avr. Replace the brass jumpers with small pieces of speaker wire. Easy cheap upgrade.

When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music