Magnifying Glass Lamp or Glasses for Close Soldering?

msg
msg Posts: 9,307
edited December 2018 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
Hey, any of you guys know a of a good place and specific product for magnifying close up soldering work?

I've seen those magnifying/lamp combos that are swing arm mounted, and also some magnifying glasses that you'd wear.

Features to look for, useful magnification level, preferred brands, products, etc.?

I checked out some glasses at Harbor Freight, but not quite the quality I'm looking for.
Also seems like 3x magnification wouldn't be the upper limit I'd like, but would be a useful option.

bllefpjxueeb.png

wev7tlfctf2c.png

xa09nrt9u4az.png
I disabled signatures.

Comments

• machone
    machone Posts: 1,471
    I have both. Glasses are better. The lamp gets in the way. I use an Optivisor.
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • msg
    Great, thanks!
    Which lenses/magnification do you use, and what kind of tasks do you use it for?

Do you wear it with eyeglasses?

middf0ubc7xp.png

I disabled signatures.
  • machone
    Not sure about the lenses power and I would recommend glasses if you normally wear them.
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Sony PS4

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    Can you buy those things like my dentist uses on the open market? That seems like it would be ideal for soldering SMDs, e.g.
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,042
    This is what I use. It has interchangeable lenses and right now I'm using a +5 for times like today when my +1.50 reading glasses just aren't enough

47lz3e0or5hl.jpg

• msg
    Which brand/source is that one, please?
    I disabled signatures.
  • motorstereo
    edited December 2018
    ^^^^^I honestly don't remember as I've had it for several years. I do know that Harbor Freight sells ones that look quite similar.

edit; I just checked and the only marking on them are Donegan Optical Co. made in USA. They must be old to have been made here in the states.
  • msg
    That's a second for Donegan. Nice, thanks!
    I disabled signatures.
  • machone
    It looks like Donegan makes Optivisor.
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Sony PS4

• motorstereo
    machone wrote: »
    It looks like Donegan makes Optivisor.

Yes they do and it looks like they run about $40
  • msg
    I decided to give that Yoctosun one a shot, and it arrived today.
    Not bad for $16. The lenses are surprisingly clear. Used them to change a watch battery earlier just for fun. Pretty comfortable to wear.

Not sure how this is going to work out for soldering though since you have to get your face kind of close up to the work to focus. I imagine I'll be running a small fan to evac the fumes/smoke.

https://www.amazon.com/YOCTOSUN-Magnifier-Professional-Jewelers-Interchangeable/dp/B01H8808H6

I'll report back if they end up totally sucking.

I disabled signatures.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Pics wearing them or it never happened B)
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • sbb2112
    sbb2112 Posts: 134
    msg wrote: »
    I decided to give that Yoctosun one a shot, and it arrived today.
    Not bad for $16. The lenses are surprisingly clear. Used them to change a watch battery earlier just for fun. Pretty comfortable to wear.

Not sure how this is going to work out for soldering though since you have to get your face kind of close up to the work to focus. I imagine I'll be running a small fan to evac the fumes/smoke.

https://www.amazon.com/YOCTOSUN-Magnifier-Professional-Jewelers-Interchangeable/dp/B01H8808H6

I'll report back if they end up totally sucking.

How did you like these? I have 3 of the optivisors and the band tightening knob on 2 is not staying tight anymore so looking for better
    Main System
    Marantz AV8802A PrePro
    Marantz MM7025 Amp rear surrounds
    McIntosh MC7205 Amp center, ceiling and mid surrounds
    McIntosh MC300 Amp front mains
    Oppo 203 Bluray
    Polk SDA-SRS with VR3 monastery crossovers
    Polk FX1000 Mid surrounds
    Klipsch RP-440C Center channel
    Klipsch RP-15M Rear surrounds
    SVS prime elevation ceiling surrounds
    Rythmik F15HP sub
    Samsung 8500 curved screen 65" LED 4K
    Mac Mini Server

Office System
    Musical Fidelity M6s dac/preamp
    Oppo 103D Bluray
    Polk SDA-SRS 2
    Parasound HCA-1500A
    Polk PSW 650 sub
    Microrendu
    Roku Ultra
    Mac Mini Server
  • msg
    These did not end up sucking, I'm happy to report. I've gotten quite a bit of use out of them already, and even for some unexpected stuff, like fixing a user-mangled DVI socket on a video card

Works great so far for little projects here and there, but I've not had a chance to solder with it. The only thing I've noticed is that I end up getting my face really close to the work while wearing these. Need to take a measurement, but I'd say around 8" - 12" away with the max mag glass in place. Not sure how well that's going to work out. Not feeling particularly enthused at the thought of flux and solder spatter, and I'll definitely need a fume fan.

Pretty comfortable, though, and the LED's a nice touch. I typically wear a headlamp while doing this sort of work, and haven't needed it.

Definitely worth the $16.

I've also picked up soooo many chicks while wearing these. Way more than @Hermitism, except when he gets new boots.
    I disabled signatures.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Where's my pic? :p
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,192
    I have old school jeweler's glasses that look like something a mad professor would wear and you have to get really close, also. It's great for getting splinters out of a finger. It has another lens that folds over in front to double the magnification. The chicks dig it. No light unless I duct tape a flashlight to my head.
  • sbb2112
    sbb2112 Posts: 134
    ytrhepaq58r5.jpg

Why has F1's avatar been hijacked? Banned?
    Main System
    Marantz AV8802A PrePro
    Marantz MM7025 Amp rear surrounds
    McIntosh MC7205 Amp center, ceiling and mid surrounds
    McIntosh MC300 Amp front mains
    Oppo 203 Bluray
    Polk SDA-SRS with VR3 monastery crossovers
    Polk FX1000 Mid surrounds
    Klipsch RP-440C Center channel
    Klipsch RP-15M Rear surrounds
    SVS prime elevation ceiling surrounds
    Rythmik F15HP sub
    Samsung 8500 curved screen 65" LED 4K
    Mac Mini Server

Office System
    Musical Fidelity M6s dac/preamp
    Oppo 103D Bluray
    Polk SDA-SRS 2
    Parasound HCA-1500A
    Polk PSW 650 sub
    Microrendu
    Roku Ultra
    Mac Mini Server
  • msg
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    Where's my pic? :p
    I'm doing my hair.

I disabled signatures.
  • reverb
    reverb Posts: 67
    +1 for the OptiVisor. Tried the lamp as well but it always seems to be where I don't need it to be.