Looking for new speakers

Hello my name is Brice and I’m new to the forum. Looking to upgrade speakers as I have been using my wife’s old box speakers from an old dvd/receiver that she owned when we got together 10 years ago. So I assume anything will be better

Av receiver is a denon avr 591 and I’m just looking for a better sound for our living room 5.1

Room dimensions are 33 ft wide 22 front to back and 14 ft tall at top peak. Ceiling is 8 ft at lowest point and slops the distance of the 33 feet. This gives idea of how open the space is. Listening area around couch would be 16 ft wide and 18 front to back. This is from tv wall to the wall behind couch.

Room is essentially one large open space with kitchen entryway living room with an open hallway at front and back of listening area.

Was thinking about buying rti a1 and csi a4 And getting the rears at a later date

Would these work or is my room too large or to open or are there better speaker choices for my area. Not looking to spend a ton on the front three but if I can find them used or something for around 500 total Thanks

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    In a space that size you need a new AVR with pre outs and multi-channel power amp to drive any speakers you may purchase. Some all around speakers (HT/music) that won't break the bank would be the Signature series.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    edited January 2019
    Hmmmm. It's like there's some good advice there, but I can't read it........ ;) That should be remedied.
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • Dabutcher
    Dabutcher Posts: 2,588
    What city do you live in? Maybe we can help you find a good deal on Craig’sList in your town? Peace. D
    MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    edited January 2019
    I recommend the Polk Signature line of speakers. Since you mention the RTiA1, are you mainly interested in bookshelf speakers? If so, the Signature S20 are better speakers. A pair of those and a matching center speaker is still within your $500 budget.

https://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-Signature-S20-Bookshelf/dp/B01LVWWXQG

Another option if you can set up floor standing speakers is to get a pair of Signature S55s at a bit more than budget and get a center speaker later. If you do get S20s first, at some point in future you could get larger front speakers and move the S20s to surround duty.

Welcome to the forum, and watch out for your wallet!
  • I had mentioned the rti a1 and csi a4 because I found a set of the three for around 210. Didn’t want to pull the trigger if they would end up being too small. And then some fxi rears later.

I live in northern Wisconsin not many people selling around here. Wife doesn’t like the idea of floorstanding unless they are directly left and right of tv which wouldn’t be wide enough for large couch.
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    Where approx in WI? I'm in Wisconsin Dells.

You will have a difficult time filling that space with small speakers, but I get that you are not the only one living there who makes those decisions :)

How far apart would the speakers be if they were where your wife wanted them? 6'...8' ? Are you ok living with just a 2-channel system for now, or are you looking for at least the front 3?
    My suggestion would be to start with the best pair of floorstanders you can get now, and then add speakers as your budget allows.
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    The Signature S20s are a good compromise if a floor standing set of speakers is not possible. People tend to be surprised at now big the S20s are for bookshelf speakers, especially for the price charged.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    I also recommend the Signature series as it can do both music and movies equally.

Could you take a picture of the room where the speakers would be going so that we can advise you better.

Oh and Welcome to Club Polk!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    I’m in Central Wisconsin and will be selling Polk LSi speakers. LSi-7’s, LSi-9’s and LSi-C almost certainly. What town are you near? I may be selling some floorstanders as well. Not familiar with that Denon receiver but thinking it’s not sufficient for that size space.
  • I live in Minocqua about an hour 15 north of Wausau if you know where that iS.

The receiver I bought six years ago or more to control all of my electronics as the TV we had at the time did not have enough inputs. I don't know much about the power it has or would need very rarely do we have it turned up into the teens. Normal watching tv volume is around -25db and during movies -18 -15 maybe.

I will get a picture of the listening area later tonight things can be moved around to fit floorstanding speakers the wife just was not keen on the idea. But seeing that our current speakers are maybe 3" x 3" by 12 she had no issue with me explaining that the new speakers would be 12 x 12 x 8 which I thought she would think was huge.

Guess I'm really open to any suggestions but from what I can find I can't really seem to find any information about like room sizes and what would be preferred as far as speakers go I just know that It can sound better.
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    I work in Wausau. I dont know how many posts you need to PM but if you to discuss LSi-7’s and LSi-C give me a shout. I have various surrounds also.
  • Dabutcher
    Dabutcher Posts: 2,588
    Do you have small children? If so bookshelf speakers on stands might not be a good choice. Good luck. D
    MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”
  • IT would either be wall mounted bookshelfs about anywhere from 5-7 feet up and pointed at listening position or the floor standing I have to sell wife on. With wall mounted I can do the recommended 22-30 degrees off center and same distance from center. Floor standing would have to be either one foot left and right of 65 tv or like 6 feet each side of tv
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    I’ll just put it out there, it not a fan of the “Signature” series.

Bloated and not very well balanced. Not good for an AVR, they want a lot of power to control an over active driver...
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited January 2019
    ^^hmmmm, my experience is pretty much the opposite. But then again mine (S60) are driven with an Anthem 225 intergrated. They really play well together.

2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    edited January 2019
    @ruppertsreef

The KEF Q150's are on sale right now for $299 a pair (KEF direct, Crutchfield, Amazon) and, if I were you, I would grab the S15's for a direct comparison in your own home on your equipment. Keep whichever speakers you like the best and add a sub to shore up the bottom end.

Here's a review of the KEF Q150 speakers: The WIrecutter

Here's a review of the Polk Signature S15's: Zero Fidelity
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • A lot of you have suggested the s20 which seem pretty close spec wise the the rti a1's that I have found cheaper than I can get a used set of s20's. Would it be dumb of me to get the rtia1 cheaper over the s20 or do you think hey would be too small for my space.

Anything could be better than the current speakers.
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    You have a pretty big room. I think the A1’s might be a little small for that space. If you want the RTI A series, I would suggest the A5’s. The smallest floor standers of the series, and easy to drive.

Really good for home theater, but most think there are better choices for music. Add a sub, and they would work well with an AVR in a room that size.
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    ^^hmmmm, my experience is pretty much the opposite. But then again mine (S60) are driven with an Anthem 225 intergrated. They really play well together.

That’s my main issue with the Signature series, at least the S20’s.

They don’t start to behave till you’re throwing decent amounts of power at them with an amp that can control the woofer.

For a speaker aimed at budget audio where people generally are not using high power (expensive) amplification, it seems like a large oversight to me.

A subwoofer can help, but still not a well balanced speaker, IMO.
  • See what I can't seem to grasp and no websites for the speakers seem to explain is how do you tell what size soeaker will work for what size room and how to tell if my receiver is powerful enough or what would be powerful enough
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    See what I can't seem to grasp and no websites for the speakers seem to explain is how do you tell what size soeaker will work for what size room and how to tell if my receiver is powerful enough or what would be powerful enough

Too many variables to make blanket statements, simple as that. We need to know the speaker before we can be certain an AVR can handle it properly. If it doesn't we can offer suggestions usually of ALL budgets to help supplement. Just get your questions out there whether you think they are dumb or you can't explain them properly, we will help. Try to include as many details as possible, there are things you may not even know that will affect your sound.

Now I've heard good things about the Signature Series and it sure is the more versatile speaker compared to the RTiA but you can still find a Frys Electronics and try both the series out. We will get you figured out man don't you fret, if there is anything we collectively agree on it's being good at spending money.

Welcome and stick around.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • rpf65
    See what I can't seem to grasp and no websites for the speakers seem to explain is how do you tell what size soeaker will work for what size room and how to tell if my receiver is powerful enough or what would be powerful enough

Maybe this will help you understand speaker size as it relates to room size a little more: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subwoofer

The size of the cabinet helps the speaker produce sound, and the lower frequencies are affected first.

As far as reciever power goes, watts isn’t the only thing to consider. Actually it’s current that’s the real concern. Current is good clean power, and that’s what you want. Some manufacturers do a much better job than others.

House sound is a consideration when pairing speakers to AVR’s also.
  • House sound as in like ambient noise in my house. Like the constant humming of motors moving water in my 300gallon saltwater system or is house sound something else
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    House sound= Tonal sound signature a brand displays
    Ex: forward, bright, neutral, etc

As for room size: variables not only include room size but also include seating distance and room setup
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • rpf65
    Different manufacturers AVR’s, amplifiers, CD players, and everything else sound different. Some people like the sound of Yamaha, others prefer the sound of Marantz.

Then it starts getting really confusing.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Don't become like us...walk away

If you don't walk away you will fall into the rabbit hole... you have been warned

2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • sponger
    sponger Posts: 325
    I think for such a large room with and with so little power to work with, you want a sensitive speaker. That is, the easier the speaker is to drive, the better. The signature is going to be easier to drive than the RTi. I've heard a 5.1 home theater in a large basement that consisted of an entry level low powered denon and polk monitor speakers. They were the small towers and center from the monitor line. The sub was a PSW110. It got plenty loud to be enjoyable. No it wouldn't satisfy with the real enthusiasts out there---not in a million years and not by a long shot. But the AVR is the heart of the set-up and if an avr 591 is your starting point then you have to make do. And really it isn't as bad as it sounds it would be.
    Denon X7200WA
    LSiM 705 703 704c
    Denon DP 400
    Yamaha CDC 775
  • I also recommend the Polk signature line. Listened to the being driven by a receiver and it didn't fail to impress me.
    Epson 3020 projector. Da Lite screen. Oppo 103. Yamaha CXA5000. B&K 7250ii. HSU VTF2. Def Tech Supercube 4000. Polk Rtia9 CsiA6 FxiA6. Monster hts 2600. Home theater.

Bedroom consist of NHT model 2 powered by Parasound hca1200ii coming from my computer.

Stuff laying around. Too much to list but don't want to sell either.
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    How loud do you play music?
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.