Pass Labs X0.2 still has issues....

2»

Comments

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    I have a thread there as well H9. Nelson has responded already and said he would ask Wayne to chime in as well.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    Nothing to lose there Brock certainly worth a shot
  • nooshinjohn
    Kent @ Pass just told me to short the center pin and the shield together for all unused RCA jacks using tin foil.... Seriously? That's the fix for this? I have shields on all jacks and the jumper pins in place for all unused XLR's. I'm sorry, but at 15 feet off, with the volume off, and all setting configured as directed, I should not hear a thing from a preamp of this caliber.

He then told me that they were noisy like this from day one, and again, I just cannot accept that Wayne and Nelson would have signed off on this. The noise can even be heard through the music as the volume goes up. There is a problem somewhere for certain.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    Aluminum foil??????

Come-on-man! :s WTH.

Nelson Pass couldn't possibly be OK with this. :#

Hiss in the music from the designs final approval? NO WAY! >:)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Kent @ Pass just told me to short the center pin and the shield together for all unused RCA jacks using tin foil.... Seriously? That's the fix for this? I have shields on all jacks and the jumper pins in place for all unused XLR's. I'm sorry, but at 15 feet off, with the volume off, and all setting configured as directed, I should not hear a thing from a preamp of this caliber.

He then told me that they were noisy like this from day one, and again, I just cannot accept that Wayne and Nelson would have signed off on this. The noise can even be heard through the music as the volume goes up. There is a problem somewhere for certain.

When I had the XA30.5 amp when using single ended...per the manual

The amplifier may be driven single-end or balanced, your choice.
    Single-ended input will always occur through the RCA connector and
    balanced input will always occur through the XLR connector.
    Again, if you drive the amplifier single-ended then leave the supplied
    jumpers in place between pins 1 & 3 on the input XLR.
    On the XLR connector pin 1 is ground, pin two is positive input and
    pin 3 is inverted (negative) input. Pin numbers are marked on the
    XA30.5 Owner’s Manual 8
    XLR. If you re-install the jumper incorrectly or leave it lying about,
    the amplifier will not work properly, and you will be able to tell.
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    I had misplaced the jumpers at one time and used a piece of 12awg solid from electrical wire, stripped all the insulation and bent it to fit the XLR pin out
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • nooshinjohn
    Still listening to it. It exposes things I have never heard before. What has always sounded like a single cymbal tap, has been exposed to be two, three or even four strikes. The same thing for drums and other percussion instruments. I could always hear a vibrato in a voice, but now I can hear the texture of that vibrato as well. So much more detail than before. I really want this solved because for me, this is an end-game piece. The law of diminishing returns stops here. While I am certain I could get more, the gains made from here come at a cost I am unwilling to pursue.

• verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Sorry to hear about your plight John. I'll be following this thread as it has the makings of some good drama! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    line level soiled state stuff should be hiss free. Heck, they could even do that in the seventies. :|

Something's not right, I'd opine.
  • nooshinjohn
    They are sending me some shorting pins for testing purposes. I should have them Monday or Tuesday

• mhardy6647
    edited January 2019
    cool enuff. They have access to higher, audiophile grades of aluminum foil. ;)

• DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,760
    I have owned the X1 and X0.2 and both were dead quiet. Pass Labs is fanatical about quiet electronic design.
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • nooshinjohn
    I have owned the X1 and X0.2 and both were dead quiet. Pass Labs is fanatical about quiet electronic design.

Thanks for your response. Have you any ideas as to what may be causing this, or what the solution might be?

• nooshinjohn
    The X0.2 is the most detailed pre I have yet heard on my journey. It is able to resolve three distinct and unique female voices, giving each their own space within the soundstage and keeping them separate through the entire track. The album being played is "My Dear Companion" featuring Dolly Parton, Linda Ronstadt, and Emylou Harris.

The soundstage is breathtaking, with each unique voice dancing within that space. Each has it's own space to bloom and is not smeared by the other or by the instruments within.

This needs to be fixed because I am hooked now on the imaging and detail that smokes the X1. Those who said the differences were subtle need a hearing check.

• nooshinjohn
    Wayne has commented that the X0.2 should be dead quiet at 1 foot from the speaker, and there is SOMETHING out of sorts. He will be looking at the tests that were done on Monday and getting in touch with me. THAT is what customer service is supposed to look like. B)

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,760

Thanks for your response. Have you any ideas as to what may be causing this, or what the solution might be?

The first thing that comes to mind, like others have said, is some incompatibility between the X0.2 and the power amp.

Prior to your issues, I have never read about a noise issue with Pass Preamps.
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • nooshinjohn
    edited January 2019
    Can’t sleep.... another thought popped into my head. My amps are biased up from stock to get a bit more power from them. At the time mine came to life, they were based on the 305 watt version of the amp. Mine run at 385wpc. Can that bias setting be the reason I am having this problem?

• mhardy6647
    edited January 2019
    I wouldn't think so. I can't imagine how that would have any impact on the input characteristics of the amp.

The output's only juiced by 1 dB. Did they check the distortion and the other operating points of the output tubes when they juiced the amp? One would presume so.

• nooshinjohn
    Everything was thoroughly checked... it was just a thought.