Ceiling Speakers

I’m new to ceiling surround sound. I have a pre wired setup in my new house and all I need is the speakers.

I have been looking at the M60 and the RC60i. What are the big differences in these 2 speakers?

Is it worth getting the bigger speakers and going with 8”?

Comments

• mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    6" M60 for surround. look for vanishing series is you can like V60.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • I checked out those V60, but then are a little pricey. I think I may go with the MC60.
  • mrloren
    if you have a Fry's near they have the MC60 on Promo code for $40ea.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • Nope! 😮! I just ran into these 80F/X-RT how are they?
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Automoglow wrote: »
    Nope! 😮! I just ran into these 80F/X-RT how are they?

They are part of the vanishing series....you did good

Enjoy

I know it's extra money...but these work great for the install....watch out for your studs, FYI I'm a pro installation company

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/994227-REG/labor_saving_devices_ls_dbhc10_10_adjustable_hole_cutter.html

2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Manticore
    Manticore Posts: 408
    Nope! 😮! I just ran into these 80F/X-RT how are they?

I picked up a pair of those also. They sound very good for the price and are pretty easy to install. @txcoastal1 does this for a living so using that tool he linked to is a huge time saver and makes neat, perfect holes but, if your not doing that for a living and don't do 30 holes a week its a lot of money to plunk down on something you may never use again. I have a tasty solution to spending a hundred+ bucks.

Those speakers come with a cardboard template so as long as your between the joists 1) buy an 8"/10" apple pie from the market, 2) pencil in your circle with the template, 3) put a small slice with a razor in the center of the clear plastic pie lid and insert your drywall saw in that slit, 4) cut out your circle, 5)install your speakers with speaker wires connected, 6) then enjoy the heck out of that pie!! I kid you not it catches 98% of the mess and it does take longer. Either way enjoy your new speakers.

xoihei4hh278.jpg
    jncv8z3cg4t1.jpg
    qk6on0eywr3c.jpg
    Denon AVR X4200W
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    LG 65" Ultra HD4k
    LG 4kBR - UP970
    Denon DVM 4800
    Denon DP 3000 turntable
    Saec 308sx tonearm w/
    Dynavector 10x5 cart
    Vincent PHO 701 Phono Preamp
    MIT Avt3 Speaker c's
    Audio Quest Big Sur ic's
    Polk SDA 1C's modded
    Polk LSim 707
    Polk LSiM706c
    Polk RTiA 3's
    Polk 80F/X-RT
    Polk DSW PRO 440wi sub
    Infinity bu2 sub
    "The early Klingon gets the Gagh"
  • Derm
    Derm Posts: 95
    edited January 2019
    ^^Thanks for the tip and pictures. Looks like a very clean install.
    I am planning out the finishing of the basement in my new house and I have a good part dedicated to the HT and music area so I am looking for ceiling and “in wall” options.
    I am going to do the same in the detached garage.

Those Polk 80f/x look pretty big. How is the sound so far? Would you recommend them?
    Speakers
    Front - LsiM707, Front presence - LsiM703, Future ATMOS - VS 700LS
    Center - LsiM706c, Rear surrounds - 80 F/X LS, VS 900LS. Sub - (pair) Klipsch R-12SW
    AVR - Yamaha RX-A3010
    AMP - NAD C275BEE
    Main HT - LG 4K 75”, Sony UBXP800M2
    Bedroom HT - LG 55" 4K, Philips BDP7501 4K UHD player , Yamaha SRT-1500 sound projector, Spare room HT LG 50” plasma, Yamaha BD-671
    Office - Pioneer X-CM56, Bose iPod dock
    In Storage - 4 - RTiA9, RtiA3, CSiA6, FXiA4, Blackstone TL1

The only source of knowledge is experience. Albert Einstein
  • Automoglow
    Automoglow Posts: 8
    edited January 2019
    @Manticore thanks that will be really helpful. Since these are sold in pairs how do I go about getting 7 or so I get a different center speaker? Never had ceiling speakers before so not sure the best setup.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    I would get a true center channel if you have room in the console or stand

They also make an in wall center channel in that series, But if you move the room around it makes it a pain in the buutt being in wall

You Really don’t want that center channel in the ceiling

2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Makes sense! I just built a house so they pre wired a 7.1 system with all the wires in the ceiling. May be a pain now to try and get the wire moved. May just have to get a regular speaker under the TV. Any other option you can think of?
  • Manticore
    Derm wrote: »
    ^^Thanks for the tip and pictures. Looks like a very clean install.
    I am planning out the finishing of the basement in my new house and I have a good part dedicated to the HT and music area so I am looking for ceiling and “in wall” options.
    I am going to do the same in the detached garage.

Those Polk 80f/x look pretty big. How is the sound so far? Would you recommend them?

These 80fx-rt's are pretty big. They require a 9 3/8 in. hole to be mounted. First movie for me was John Wick 4k Blu ray. The cemetery scene it was pouring rain and the sound switches to the atmos 80 fx polk speakers...surprisingly realistic sound. I am very happy with these speakers. They were a good purchase. Although i believe these speakers were meant for rear surrounds i decided to take the chance and use them for atmos speakers instead. Again very happy.
    Denon AVR X4200W
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    LG 65" Ultra HD4k
    LG 4kBR - UP970
    Denon DVM 4800
    Denon DP 3000 turntable
    Saec 308sx tonearm w/
    Dynavector 10x5 cart
    MIT Avt3 Speaker c's
    Audio Quest Big Sur ic's
    Polk SDA 1C's modded
    Polk LSim 707
    Polk LSiM706c
    Polk RTiA 3's
    Polk 80F/X-RT
    Polk DSW PRO 440wi sub
    Infinity bu2 sub
  • Manticore
    @Manticore thanks that will be really helpful. Since these are sold in pairs how do I go about getting 7 or so I get a different center speaker? Never had ceiling speakers before so not sure the best setup.

So if i understand your post you would like to use 7 in wall/ceiling speakers? I have read about and seen photos of folks with screens in there home using in wall speakers as the front L/R & Center. Is that what your talking about? Or
    Something like this? see below, But all 7 speakers in wall/ceiling?
    da6x8p5mqqo0.jpg
    /\/\/\If that's what you choose to do i would guess you have to buy four pair. You could use all eight or save one as a spare.

ex: On my AVR when i choose to setup my speakers, when i get to the rear surrounds it asks if i have one or two speakers...so i guess you could go Front R/L & Center, Left & right surround, ONE rear surround channel & two left over for rear or middle atmos. There are many, many options. Lots of info here on the forum and online.

I think most folks here have floor standing speakers and do not go with all in wall/ceiling speakers. Also don't expect to get any chest pounding bass out of a 7 or 8 in wall/ceiling speaker setup. These speakers just wont do that. Hope this helps some and good luck!!
    Denon AVR X4200W
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    LG 65" Ultra HD4k
    LG 4kBR - UP970
    Denon DVM 4800
    Denon DP 3000 turntable
    Saec 308sx tonearm w/
    Dynavector 10x5 cart
    MIT Avt3 Speaker c's
    Audio Quest Big Sur ic's
    Polk SDA 1C's modded
    Polk LSim 707
    Polk LSiM706c
    Polk RTiA 3's
    Polk 80F/X-RT
    Polk DSW PRO 440wi sub
    Infinity bu2 sub
  • mrloren
    I have the 80F/X RT, I use 4 for ATMOS height speakers. Before I was at a 5.1.2 system they were my surrounds, very good speaker for that. I wouldn't use them for fronts or center channel.

In-ceiling speakers for the fronts for the most part messes up the front stage. You will be looking forward and all the sound will be from above. Get some wall mountable bookshelf speakers like Signature S15 and a wall mountable S35 center. In the long run this will sound way better.
  • @Manticore right now its all pre wired in the ceiling with caps
  • Manticore
    @Manticore right now its all pre wired in the ceiling with caps

Well i guess you have some decisions to make about how your going to proceed. I agree with @mrloren about the front stage sounding a bit off. You can keep the wiring in the walls for the speakers you do plan on using and start patching up some of those holes that you wont be using. A somewhat more conventional setup ( than all 7 speakers in the ceiling) will provide you with a much better and more enjoyable music and movie/tv experience.
    Denon AVR X4200W
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    LG 65" Ultra HD4k
    LG 4kBR - UP970
    Denon DVM 4800
    Denon DP 3000 turntable
    Saec 308sx tonearm w/
    Dynavector 10x5 cart
    MIT Avt3 Speaker c's
    Audio Quest Big Sur ic's
    Polk SDA 1C's modded
    Polk LSim 707
    Polk LSiM706c
    Polk RTiA 3's
    Polk 80F/X-RT
    Polk DSW PRO 440wi sub
    Infinity bu2 sub
  • mrloren
    front ceiling speakers could be front ATMOS using the surround and rears in a 7.1.2 setup.

Thing about ceiling speakers is ALL the sound coming from the top. Front stage and side surrounds are best lower closer to ear level.
  • Well wish I would have done more research before paying to have them prewire this 7.1

I had a regular onkyo 7.1 never dealt with ceiling speakers, but kind thought it would be the same.

I think my best bet would be to get a regular center channel with the front speakers. Use the 80fx for the side and rear in the ceiling and then 2 in the front ceiling for Atmos and hope it sounds good.
  • Was just doing some more browsing and I’m going to see if I can drop these cables for the center and fronts behind the TV and possibly do in walls

Ugh tough decision to get book shelf and a regular center or go the in wall route.
  • mrloren
    S15 bookshelf & S35 center. For the front mains I am not a fan of in-wall or in-ceiling.
  • Manticore
    Was just doing some more browsing and I’m going to see if I can drop these cables for the center and fronts behind the TV and possibly do in walls

Ugh tough decision to get book shelf and a regular center or go the in wall route.

Just decide how you want to go and how much you want to spend. The cables should be very easy to drop. You could run the front three or more down to one box ex;
    https://www.amazon.com/Fosmon-2-Gang-Surround-Distribution-Theater/dp/B00KGK2VJC/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1547479355&sr=8-13&keywords=speaker+wall+plates

Its really how involved you want to get. If i read correctly its your house (not a rental) so try to plan and do it right the first time. It sucks having to redo something just because of a oh c rap moment. I have been there and done that. There is so many great folks on this forum just oozing with information. Actually to many to name but two or three above already responded...just pick their Brian and don't rush into doing something.

Have fun
    Denon AVR X4200W
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    LG 65" Ultra HD4k
    LG 4kBR - UP970
    Denon DVM 4800
    Denon DP 3000 turntable
    Saec 308sx tonearm w/
    Dynavector 10x5 cart
    MIT Avt3 Speaker c's