one man garbage other men treasure - WOW!

cortico
cortico Posts: 587
edited January 2019 in 2 Channel Audio
Compared to most of you guys balls deep into the rabbit hole, I am perfectly aware that I am just skimming the surface.

I have been into vintage gear for too long, I own and restores a few Marantz amps from the 70's and really like their sound. Lately, I got myself interested in less older gear and got older Parasound HCA 1200II power amp and a PHP850 pre.

2 weeks later I got the PLP2000 pre, still ancient and outdated for most... but to me, this was like a revelation moment... my Marantz are blown away from the map!

Pretty cool and well-built and great sounding stuff, the specs are amazing and that preamp is an authentic work of art!

WOW!!!

Comments

• Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    Off topic: What building is that in your avatar? It appears to be between Park Avenue and Madison Avenue, so it can't be Rockefeller Center as many would assume. My best guess would be "The Lincoln Building" A.K.A. "One Grand Central Place".
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    Can you show us some pictures?
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,306
    Do you mean the PLD 2000?

We've talked about the older Parasound D/ACs, and I remember you modding the big brother, I think, to the D/AC-800 I use in a system. I'm with you on some of the older gear, too. I was reminded recently to not get too caught up in the gear, and remember to listen to the music. Still can't help enjoying the gear, too :)
    I disabled signatures.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Always liked the vintage Parasound stuff. Congrats!
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • cortico
    edited January 2019
    Viking64 wrote: »
    Off topic: What building is that in your avatar? It appears to be between Park Avenue and Madison Avenue, so it can't be Rockefeller Center as many would assume. My best guess would be "The Lincoln Building" A.K.A. "One Grand Central Place".

Hey Viking64, keen eye! That shot was taken at 432 Park, amazing building. I had a job going on the top of that building...

b19rpsjaxxta.jpg
    l13uo0vdvt09.jpg
    7hcr63aohanl.jpg
  • indyhawg
    indyhawg Posts: 1,633
    Sweet view. I might be nervous getting on that ladder though.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,306
    Were you walking steel?!?
    I disabled signatures.
  • cortico
    msg wrote: »
    Do you mean the PLD 2000?

We've talked about the older Parasound D/ACs, and I remember you modding the big brother, I think, to the D/AC-800 I use in a system. I'm with you on some of the older gear, too. I was reminded recently to not get too caught up in the gear, and remember to listen to the music. Still can't help enjoying the gear, too :)

Correct, PLD 2000 Line drive solid state preamp. I remember that conversation, I have bought and sold and regret a few different Parasound DAcs the 800, the 1100 and the 1600. They're all great, currently I have the 1100. I remember doing the upgrade that sold by the German folks but liked the sound stock better....

Here is a not updated pic, I will take a few more showing the PLD 2000 pre, and a pic I found the picture below online, looks really nice.

Yes, in the end is music what matters, important to keep that in mind!
    txb9wzym0qct.jpeg
    e56rj2umvcmy.jpg

• Viking64
    cortico wrote: »
    Hey Viking64, keen eye! That shot was taken at 432 Park, amazing building. I had a job going on the top of that building...

Beautiful! I guess the B & W photo threw me time-wise. HAHAHAHA

I've read a few weeks ago that the apartments in the upper half of that building go for close to 100 million each! :o

I see that building every day. Check out my Google home page. :p

60fcqqinhrfw.jpg
  • Viking64
    msg wrote: »
    Were you walking steel?!?

That's what I thought at first. It looks like baker staging/scaoffolding. I believe those windows go floor to ceiling. You can tell in the pic with the ladder that it was taken in an enclosed building.

6d753ecd56sj.jpg
  • cortico
    haha, that's exactly it. Standing on a scaffold in front of it's massive 10'x10' windowsrlht70j4xufn.jpg
  • skrol
    skrol Posts: 3,330
    I got into the older Parasound gear about 5 years ago. I started with an HCA-800ii amp and CPT-600 pre-amp tuner. I reconditioned them with new caps and made some other upgrades. It has a sweet sound and nice dark noise floor. Then I found a broken HCA-1000A that I repaired, made some upgrades and tuning with the help of Mr John Curl over on DIYAUDIO.COM. Then I picked up a PLD-1100 and TDQ-1600. It is every bit as sweet as the previous but can better drive my LSi-15's. I eventually want to upgrade to an HCA-1200ii or HCA-1500.

The Parasound company is very cool. If you email them, you will likely get a response from Richard Schram who is the president and founder of the company. I'm hooked on Parasound now.
    Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade), Parasound: P/LD-1100, HCA-1000A; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Benchmark DAC1, Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i; Technics SL-J2, Parasound PPH-100.

HT:
    Marantz SR7010, Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S4, CS250, PSW110 , Marantz UD5005, Pioneer PL-530, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, AVR-888, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: S8, Monitor 5A, 5B, TSi100, RM7, PSW10 (DXi104 upgrade); Pioneer: CT-6R; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz: PM5004, CD5004, CDR-615; Parasound C/PT-600, HCA-800ii, Sony CDP-650ESD, Technics SA 5070, B&W DM601
  • cortico
    skrol wrote: »
    I got into the older Parasound gear about 5 years ago. I started with an HCA-800ii amp and CPT-600 pre-amp tuner. I reconditioned them with new caps and made some other upgrades. It has a sweet sound and nice dark noise floor. Then I found a broken HCA-1000A that I repaired, made some upgrades and tuning with the help of Mr John Curl over on DIYAUDIO.COM. Then I picked up a PLD-1100 and TDQ-1600. It is every bit as sweet as the previous but can better drive my LSi-15's. I eventually want to upgrade to an HCA-1200ii or HCA-1500.

The Parasound company is very cool. If you email them, you will likely get a response from Richard Schram who is the president and founder of the company. I'm hooked on Parasound now.

Hey skrol, i remember your tread, it’s pretty cool that John Curl engages with people and gives guidance on that forum, I have followed s few treads.

The 1200ii sounds very nice, I am willing to step up to the 2200ii when the right deal comes across.

• oldrocker
    oldrocker Posts: 2,590
    ^^

First Parasound piece my wife got me, I had to call them with a question.

That Richard guy answered and was the nicest guy. Told me if I needed any additional help, don't hesitate to call...
  • I used to sell Parasound and my first surround pre/pro was a Parasound. I also had one of their phono preamps hooked into that pre/pro.
  • l7o5skm90kb2.jpg

AVC-2500u
    This was a heckuva good surround sound preamp/processor!
  • skrol
    skrol Posts: 3,330
    Forgot about the Parasound phono pre-amp. It was my first external phono pre and I was amazed at the difference, even compared to my Marantz integrated amp phono stage.
    Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade), Parasound: P/LD-1100, HCA-1000A; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Benchmark DAC1, Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i; Technics SL-J2, Parasound PPH-100.

HT:
    Marantz SR7010, Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S4, CS250, PSW110 , Marantz UD5005, Pioneer PL-530, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, AVR-888, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: S8, Monitor 5A, 5B, TSi100, RM7, PSW10 (DXi104 upgrade); Pioneer: CT-6R; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz: PM5004, CD5004, CDR-615; Parasound C/PT-600, HCA-800ii, Sony CDP-650ESD, Technics SA 5070, B&W DM601
  • I had to get the external phono preamp, because the AVC-2500 doesn't have one. I finally sold it all when I decided to get an Integra DTC 9.8 and wanted the newer lossless surround codecs like DTS HD-MA and Dolby True HD. As well as SACD DSD decoding.
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    Parasound offers stellar equipment at good prices. Build quality is excellent, and I haven't been disappointed in any Para stuff I have owned. I just recently replaced my 15 year old HCA-1500A with the A21 amplifier.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    That A21 is a beauty
  • cortico
    edited January 2019
    Today, I gave a serious listening to the PLD2000, wow!!! Amazing, this thing is a masterpiece!

nw0qyo8cufcb.jpeg
    u72rvnmbyjgw.jpeg
    d4wy16hcayp7.jpeg
    2dddskcdx1me.jpeg