Brad Paisley - "Whisky Lullaby"

Hello all, Tom here. I know many of you do not enjoy country music. This thread is not geared to you. You may, however, want to check this one out.

It was introduced in a back door discussion that most here do not know about but I am bringing part of our conversation out for all to see. Russ (Lightman1) had posted that he listened to a song, "Whisky Lullaby" by Brad Paisley....and that he felt the need to do something "manly" afterwards. That comment struck my curiosity, so I looked up the You Tube video. That can be seen below (If I linked it correctly)

https://youtu.be/IZbN_nmxAGk

VERY powerful song that also features Allison Krauss. I ordered the CD the very moment after I watched the video. Even though I thought I would get Amazon's 2 day shipping on Prime, for some reason, it took around two weeks to get here. Well, it showed up and I played it tonight.

I was pleasantly surprised that it was a well recorded song and the low notes dug DEEP. If you get a moment, whether you like Country music or not, check it out. Here is the album if you are interested in trying it for a spin in your rig -

hqdefault.jpg

Thanks Russ! Good choice my man. Not bad for a sheep chasin', gun toten', dip spittin', Justin Bieber listenin', big truck drivin' redneck!

Tom
~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~

Comments

• rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    Love Allison Krauss! This is also on her excellent collection A Hundred Miles or More. A good, well recorded album with a number of really good tunes...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    Love that song!
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    Love Allison Krauss! This is also on her excellent collection A Hundred Miles or More. A good, well recorded album with a number of really good tunes...

Well, now. Don't I feel like the donkey. DOH!

I have that album. Perhaps that's why I thought I had heard it before. I guess it was "just another song" until I saw the video and actually listened to what the words meant. Nothing new there though. I have heard many, many songs throughout the years that I sing from start to finish but....never really paid attention to the words and the meaning of the song.

Then one day, I'll pay attention and fall in love with the song all over again like it was new. I guess I pay much more attention to the music then I do words. That explains why I prefer the older bands where they shut up and actually played this thing called "music" instead of singing through the entire song with the same three beats and a chorus they repeat 15 times.

BTW, Rooftop...I agree. That is a good album.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    ... and I like Brad Paisley. He seems to be witty and not to take himself too seriously, and he also seems to be a pretty good gee-tar player.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    :'(

Good one for sure.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,305
    Try Jacob’s Dream on that same Alison Krause CD....
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• rooftop59
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    ... and I like Brad Paisley. He seems to be witty and not to take himself too seriously, and he also seems to be a pretty good gee-tar player.

Yes, a good guitar player and a solid musician, though I have never listened to an entire album of his.

By the way Tom, one that really gets me is “If we were vampires” by Jason Isbell and his wife Amanda Shires. I have been brought to tears in the car several times. I just learned to play it on the guitar a couple weeks ago. Would love to try performing it with my wife but I’m not sure if I could make it through...
    Paul
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
  • treitz3
    edited January 2019
    Hey daddyjt! That very song is the one and only reason I bought that album to begin with. I bought it when I used to dislike Allison's voice but that song was so powerful with its words...I listened to it so much, that I actually like Allison A LOT now. Go figure.

Excellent choice of song!!! Hopefully I linked it below for those who have never heard it...

https://youtu.be/TwaZXUlFsyo

Got introduced to that song by a good buddy of mine (and other's here), Jerry. He used to live in Hotlanta near GeorgeD but has since moved into the mountains of Georgia. You may have met him at CF. I even featured that song on my rig at CF 2 years ago in Cabin 11. Got a standing ovation on that one!

Tom
  • rooftop59
    Oh man Jacob’s is another one I wanted to cover years ago but my wife was like no way that some is way too sad...I’ve always kinda like sad songs, one of the ways we are different...
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • treitz3
    Well, heck. Queen's "Bohemian Rhapsody" is commonly a "Rock" song for the ages....but when you listen to the words and pay attention? It's depressing as all get up!

Tom
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    FWIW (and it's not all that far off-topic) probably my favorite Alison Krauss track.

https://youtu.be/dWRGZaHb8xE

Excellent recording, too -- although it will expose flaws in midrange reproduction (I'm lookin' at you, Klipsch Cornwall!) ruthlessly.

• Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Hey daddyjt! That very song is the one and only reason I bought that album to begin with. I bought it when I used to dislike Allison's voice but that song was so powerful with its words...I listened to it so much, that I actually like Allison A LOT now. Go figure.

Excellent choice of song!!! Hopefully I linked it below for those who have never heard it...

Got introduced to that song by a good buddy of mine (and other's here), Jerry. He used to live in Hotlanta near GeorgeD but has since moved into the mountains of Georgia. You may have met him at CF. I even featured that song on my rig at CF 2 years ago in Cabin 11. Got a standing ovation on that one!

Tom

Years ago I dropped a tear or two the first time I heard Jacob's Dream sung by Allison Kraus. It was on my main system too. I might've been medicated a little, I don't remember it's been so long ago. I quickly lost track of who sang it. I thought it was Gillian Welsh. I've searched over the years that elusive song and who sung it. I've told a few people about it too. How moving it is.

THANKS A LOT FOR PUTTING ON HERE !!!!!!! I can now search for my Allison Kraus CDs section. I can listen again to my SRS2s with new tweeters like I heard that song with before a couple of times. Then on to the Triton Ones system with it for comparison knowledge.

Woo Hoo!

Now if somebody with knowledge of a 30 year old rock/ Christian(?) song where an army comes over a hill to annihilate the other army in a rockin crescendo of guitar and drums..The singer ( male ) was awesome. Maybe heavy metal.

If I find out, I'll be able to leave earth with one less mystery I never solved. I heard it on the radio in a vehicle and the station just kept on playing other songs. I wanted to call the station from a house but never did. :s
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,305

Tom

Not sure if you knew, but Jacob’s Dream is based on true events.

https://bluegrasstoday.com/the-story-behind-the-song-jacobs-dream/
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• treitz3
    No, I did not know that. Thanks so much for bringing that to my attention.

You are welcome, TonyM. I don't think it was the medication. I still get choked up (I'll admit it) whenever I listen to it on the rig. Makes me think of my young son and....well, you get the gist.

Tom
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    Hello all, Tom here. I know many of you do not enjoy country music...

Started giggling right off the bat on this! Then when you threw in "Russ...", tears of laughter were streaming.

Poor Russ. Sounds like a great guy to hang out with.

Been to several Brad and Alison concerts. Both are amazing musical artists.

Enjoy!
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • Jaybeez
    Jaybeez Posts: 737
    Probably my favorite Brad Paisley song. My Uncle met him several times and said he's a great guy. Real down to earth kid from West Virginia.
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,021
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    Jason Isbell
    Excellent singer/songwriter. Like Tom, I mostly listen to the music and no so much the words, but with Jason Isbell, his lyrics are almost impossible to ignore.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    Country is like every other Genre, gotta sift through the crap to find the diamonds.

Although I do like when Country artists were Ugly people singing beautiful songs. Looking at you Waylon and Hank Williams.

I mean CAN you sleep on Dolly, Linda and Emmylou? I think not, that is a power house combo there.

Plus Linda was dang dreamy back in her day.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,033
    I mean CAN you sleep on Dolly....

She did have some nice pillows...

The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson