Is my HTS 10 defective?

I recently purchased an HTS10 and have been trying unsuccessfully to set it up with a Yamaha AVR. I've followed the instructions to a T, eg including ensuring that the sub is activated in the receiver's options and all speakers are set to "small". I did notice that the power light doesn't come on when the sub is plugged in to an AC outlet, but frankly I'm not entirely sure if it is supposed to, or if it would illuminate only when its receiving audio current. I tested the fuse with a multimeter to confirm it hasn't blown (it hasn't), and I also tested the power cord. I'm at a loss as to how I can troubleshoot further, or if I should just return the sub for a refund.

I've tried to reach out to customer service multiple times, but keep hearing the message: "we are experiencing higher than normal call volumes. Please try again later." After which my call is automatically dropped. Can anyone on this forum advise as to whether the lack of an illuminated power light means the HTS10 is defective, or if it's something I've messed up in the configuration/can troubleshoot?

Answers

• rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    Is there a power switch on the back? Is there an option for off, on, and auto on? If so make sure it is set to on to test.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • Hello,
    Sorry you're having a problem. I'll ask a friend at Polk to contact you via email.
  • Thanks Ken, appreciate it and I'll look forward to hearing from them.

Re: rooftop, no, best I can tell there is no "on" switch. I spent quite some time scouring for one, and the manual makes no mention of one. The power switch can only toggle between "auto" and "DC control".
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    DC control needs to have the cable connected to the receiver's 12V trigger out or it will not turn on. Set it to Auto.
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    edited January 2019
    Set it to Auto as Dave mentioned, then get a 3.5mm to RCA plug the 3.5mm end into something that plays music such as your phone and plug the white RCA into the LFE input. Make sure the volume on your phone is all the way down and set the volume/gain on the sub to halfway. Play some music on your phone and slowly increase the volume. It should play something. If it does then we can start to help focus your efforts on set up and away from troubleshooting the actual sub.

Good luck troubleshooting and report back!
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • Thanks all for the troubleshooting suggestions. Tried the approach with the 3.5mm to RCA adapter and my phone, but unfortunately still nothing from the sub (no sound and power light doesn't illuminate). Getting the sense that I need to just return this for a refund, unless there's anything else I should test first?
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    Sounds like it's a dud. Dookie happens. Don't give up on it. Just exchange for another.
  • lestat78
    lestat78 Posts: 6
    pw12345 wrote: »
    Getting the sense that I need to just return this for a refund, unless there's anything else I should test first?

Hi, did you manage to resolve the issue? I have the exact same problem on a new HTS 10, and I've found a couple of reviews on Amazon of someone else experiencing the same. I've sent an email to Polk support a few hours ago, so hopefully they'll get back to me for a solution.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Give them a call on Monday, rather than waiting for a reply email.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • lestat78
    lestat78 Posts: 6
    They replied to my mail saying that I need to contact the reseller for support, which I did. Hopefully they will replace it.