New here

Hi, I am new new here. I just inherited speakers from my father who recently passed on the 17th. I always had Polk Audio which I received from my dad before he upgraded to what I know have.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has some info on the setup I am now running. I have a pws 125 sub, which I just sent in the board to be repaired as I want it perfect. As of right now I am using a smaller Polk powered sub but still sounds incredible. I can't wait to hear the 12". I have two towers. They are the RTi a7, which I just set up as biamp(I guess my dad never new you could, wish I could tell him). For my surrounds I have 2 Fxi a6 speakers. The center is a CSI A6 speaker. For the receiver, it is a Onkyo tx-805(older model), but still better than my new pioneer elite receiver. My surround system this will be replacing is going to my father in law. I have not setup the center or surround back yet. Still using my old ones, and already the sound stage is amazing. Can't wait to get it complete with the psw125, once it's fixed, and set up my dad's center and surrounds.

My question is, are these speakers any good? I know the towers sound great, but the receiver uses HDMI 1.3a, which is a problem for 4k and 3d, but I can switch to optical and not do HDMI pass through. I am fine with 1080p though on my 70"'. I really do not want to buy a70" 4k tv.

Also, should I buy two more fxi a6 for THX 7.1, or should I stick to 5.1 and continue bi-amping towers? I did notice a difference in bi-amping. Surprisingly a big difference. From stuff I read it seemed like it may have been a waste of time, but thankfully it wasn't. Also is there away to adjust bass and treble seperate when bi-amping?

Thanks for your advice!

Comments

• sponger
    sponger Posts: 325
    edited January 2019
    I am sorry for your loss.

Absolutely they are great speakers. Your father had excellent taste in audio equipment. But what makes them good is the fact that you like them, which it sounds like you do. Someone can always come along and tell you they're bad speakers, but that shouldn't make any difference to you if you're already happy with the results.

As far as bi-wiring goes, it sounds like it works for you. In which case I would leave it at that unless you decide you want more surround channels.

Also, you refer to the Pioneer Elite as new, but I'm not sure how new it can be with hdmi 1.3a and 7 channels. And, I'm not sure why you would need to use the optical connection just because the source format is 4k or 3d.
    Denon X7200WA
    LSiM 705 703 704c
    Denon DP 400
    Yamaha CDC 775
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,937
    Yes sorry for your loss.

That is a great home theater setup!

Many people will tell you that you are not bi-amping, and you’re not. Bi means two, therefore it takes two amps to bi-amp. Your Onkyo has one power supply that feeds 7 channels, and the more channels you add the less power that is sent to each channel, because it’s just one power supply. BUT, if you like it rock on. You certainly aren’t hurting anything. But you are taking away the extra surrounds, which do add to the immersion.

As for the optical thing, I agree with @sponger that there is no need to do that with a 1080p tv. If you have a bdp, the only way to get Dolby true-hd etc is to use hdmi. If you are using you tv as a source for streaming, use an optical for that sound, but use hdmi for blu rays. And with your setup, you DEFINITELY want to watch some blu rays. The difference in sound quality is significant.

Welcome to club Polk!
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • Thanks for the replies. My receiver the pioneer elite isn't 1.3a, that was only for Onkyo. I agree 1080p is fine. The Onkyo though has more power and 7.1 compared to 5.1.

I was under the impression that that the channels will only ever output the the rms they were designed with. I assumed adding the bi-amping channels would allow for more power to taters and more power to lows.

I am really thinking about two more fxi A6 for 7.1. I am sure more surface area for music will sound better than biamping the towers. I understand the point about it really not being biamping.

I guess if I switch to 7.1 I'll need an answer and crossover?

Thanks again. Very helpful!
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,420
    More power to taters.....
    New one on me
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    Welcome to the forum!
  • Pitdogg2, opps supposed to be tweeters. Maybe I had Ron White on my mind.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,007
    Welcome to the club.

Nice system.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,854
    If you're happy and you know it don't upgrade...if you're happy and you know it don't upgrade...

First off sorry for your loss. Your dad left you with more than a good system, memories of him listening to it!

If you're not going to get 4k bluRay player and don't stream any shows in 4k keep your 1080p. I only went with 4k because we needed a new TV. I think you will be more than happy once you get it calibrated and moved things around the way it sounds best to you. In all honesty, I wouldn't buy the other surround speakers ( a very well set-up 5.1 will beat a poorly setup 7.1) You could always sell both your subs and with the money you were going to spend on the extra surrounds buy an SVS or HSU sub. A 10" from either of those will destroy that psw12.
    Food for thought.
  • H3adshot1981
    H3adshot1981 Posts: 12
    edited January 2019
    Willow wrote: »
    If you're happy and you know it don't upgrade...if you're happy and you know it don't upgrade...

First off sorry for your loss. Your dad left you with more than a good system, memories of him listening to it!

If you're not going to get 4k bluRay player and don't stream any shows in 4k keep your 1080p. I only went with 4k because we needed a new TV. I think you will be more than happy once you get it calibrated and moved things around the way it sounds best to you. In all honesty, I wouldn't buy the other surround speakers ( a very well set-up 5.1 will beat a poorly setup 7.1) You could always sell both your subs and with the money you were going to spend on the extra surrounds buy an SVS or HSU sub. A 10" from either of those will destroy that psw12.
    Food for thought.

Willow,
    I feel like I can't upgrade my sub because it's the one my dad used. Maybe eventually, but yeah I liked at those and my mouth started drooling!

Like I said the towers sound good, but the bass drivers are barely moving. Would it make sense to get an external amp for the bottom terminals? I just don't know how to get that coordinated with the Onkyo.
  • Willow
    Willow wrote: »

Food for thought.

Willow,
    I feel like I can't upgrade my sub because it's the one my dad used. Maybe eventually, but yeah I liked at those and my mouth started drooling!

Like I said the towers sound good, but the bass drivers are barely moving. Would it make sense to get an external amp for the bottom terminals? I just don't know how to get that coordinated with the Onkyo.

We are not here to judge and that is as good as any reason to keep the sub ( or buy an SVS and run 2 subs keeping your dad's ;) )

If your receiver has pre-outs an amp will certainly help it'll take the strain off your receiver. Did you set it up with speakers set to small and x-over at 80? (it's not written in stone but a good place to start)
  • H3adshot1981
    edited January 2019
    I have it set to 80htz, as for room size I can only set the linear feet that each speaker is away from the listening area. And two subs will def work.
  • pitdogg2
    I have it set to 80htz, as for room size I can only set the linear feet that each speaker is away from the listening area. And two subs will def work.

When I ran two subs I put one in front corner and one in the rear corner diagonal from each other. it really help smooth out and increase the bass without cancelling out each other. Do not over look that arrangement.
  • Willow

Its a good start.
  • Geoff4rfc
    Geoff4rfc Posts: 2,099
    Welcome to the club!!! And bring on the taters!

Not much I can expand on here, other than a second pair of F/XiA6's will work great. I have two pair in my set up and digging it.

And I will second Willow on a couple of things, setting the speakers from large to small, or fiddling with the 60 to 80 hz, will indeed give your receiver a break, especially if you are going to run a 7. set up. And, I dig why you want to keep the subs, totally cool connection with your dad!...…..but one day, when you decide to put a "more" powerful sub arrangement in your set up, oh my gosh, you will discover, if you haven't already, the difference a sub can make!!!

Very sorry for your loss! God speed and peace to you and your family.
    Source: BRP Panasonic UB9000, CDP Emotiva ERC3 - Display: LG OLED EVO 83 C3 - Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2, XPA-6, Speakers, Mains/2ch-Focal Kanta No2's, C-LSiM706, S-702F/X, RS-RTiA9's, WS-RTiA9's, FH-RTiA3's, Subs - Epik Empire x 2

Cables: AudioQuest McKenzie XLR's/CDP/Amp, Carbon 48/BRP, Forest 48/Display

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is.
    When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,636
    Geoff4rfc wrote: »

Not much I can expand on here, other than a second pair of F/XiA6's will work great. I have two pair in my set up and digging it.

And I will second Willow on a couple of things, setting the speakers from large to small, or fiddling with the 60 to 80 hz, will indeed give your receiver a break, especially if you are going to run a 7. set up. And, I dig why you want to keep the subs, totally cool connection with your dad!...…..but one day, when you decide to put a "more" powerful sub arrangement in your set up, oh my gosh, you will discover, if you haven't already, the difference a sub can make!!!

Where the hell you been boy?
  • Geoff4rfc

Where the hell you been boy?

LOL, Riverside Inn, dancing my **** off!!! Good to see you Kenny!

Source: BRP Panasonic UB9000, CDP Emotiva ERC3 - Display: LG OLED EVO 83 C3 - Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2, XPA-6, Speakers, Mains/2ch-Focal Kanta No2's, C-LSiM706, S-702F/X, RS-RTiA9's, WS-RTiA9's, FH-RTiA3's, Subs - Epik Empire x 2

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is.
    When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman
  • Geoff4rfc wrote: »

Thanks man, and thanks for the advice. I eyed up that Polk sub for 660.00. it's tempting to setup two. You think buying a second sub or two Fxi a6 would be better? The 8" I am using know while waiting for the control board to be fixed on the 12" kinda sucks. I never realized how bad it was at htz down low. Now that I got the towers it seems to distort more. Very tempting indeed.
  • Geoff4rfc

Thanks man, and thanks for the advice. I eyed up that Polk sub for 660.00. it's tempting to setup two. You think buying a second sub or two Fxi a6 would be better? The 8" I am using know while waiting for the control board to be fixed on the 12" kinda sucks. I never realized how bad it was at htz down low. Now that I got the towers it seems to distort more. Very tempting indeed.

You're welcome!! Well, "better" is definitely in the beholder. If I may, now some won't agree, but I do believe many will, Polk is great on speakers, but not so much on subs. My thought would be to save up and get a non Polk sub, like a 15 or 18" bad boy. When I got my first Empire (no longer in business), I was blown away after using a pair of much smaller subs. And size isn't always what matters...….huh?......but a good quality sub can and will do the trick.

If you want an extra pair of surrounds, another pair of iA6's will do, BUT...if you want to make a "better", in my opinion, upgrade, do your system righteous with a monster sub.

• H3adshot1981
    edited January 2019
    I read about an hour of reviews for the the svs, and the SVS pb16 ultra really had me drooling. So I think I am going to start the budgeting for this but it's 3 * more than what I was planning...lol It's 2500 which is more than I was planning, but I used to spend more than that on my audio for cars, and the bass was chest crushing. With the 16" 1500 watt rms.....5000 watt peak.....! I think I might have to tell my wife to deal with it. Metellica, Rush, Dream Theatre will sound amazing let alone movies!!! I just don't want to a emotional decision to spend that money, but I listen to music, watch movies, or play games daily. I think that will compliment what I have until I can also at the 2 more fxi a6s for thx. Have to think about that a few weeks to be safe thanks for mentioning SVS.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
  • ken brydson
    I read about an hour of reviews for the the svs, and the SVS pb16 ultra really had me drooling. So I think I am going to start the budgeting for this but it's 3 * more than what I was planning...lol It's 2500 which is more than I was planning, but I used to spend more than that on my audio for cars, and the bass was chest crushing. With the 16" 1500 watt rms.....5000 watt peak.....WTF!!!!! I think I might have to tell my wife to deal with it. Metellica, Rush, Dream Theatre will sound amazing let alone movies!!! I just don't want to a emotional decision to spend that money, but I listen to music, watch movies, or play games daily. I think that will compliment what I have until I can also at the 2 more fxi a6s for thx. Have to think about that a few weeks to be safe thanks for mentioning SVS.

Give them a call and tell them your specific wants and needs and they will recommend the best solution. They won't try to over sell you I guarantee. Also keep in mind that they have a 45 day in home trial period with free shipping both ways.
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,449
    A 16Ultra is a monster sub, if you got the funds and space go for it never too much sub.

My VTF3 shakes my dishes, a 16Ultra would shake my neighbors dishes.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.Family Room:Samsung UN75RU710DFXZA, Denon AVR-X4400H, Emotiva XPA3 GEN3Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM, WD Live HUB .Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15Sub: SVS SB2000 Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Cerwin Vega AT-12 (blasters) SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • pitdogg2
    I read about an hour of reviews for the the svs, and the SVS pb16 ultra really had me drooling. So I think I am going to start the budgeting for this but it's 3 * more than what I was planning...lol It's 2500 which is more than I was planning, but I used to spend more than that on my audio for cars, and the bass was chest crushing. With the 16" 1500 watt rms.....5000 watt peak.....WTF!!!!! I think I might have to tell my wife to deal with it. Metellica, Rush, Dream Theatre will sound amazing let alone movies!!! I just don't want to a emotional decision to spend that money, but I listen to music, watch movies, or play games daily. I think that will compliment what I have until I can also at the 2 more fxi a6s for thx. Have to think about that a few weeks to be safe thanks for mentioning SVS.

Give them a call and tell them your specific wants and needs and they will recommend the best solution. They won't try to over sell you I guarantee. Also keep in mind that they have a 45 day in home trial period with free shipping both ways.

Do not forget the SVS outlet store. Some great deals can be had there.
  • ken brydson
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

Do not forget the SVS outlet store. Some great deals can be had there.

I got mine B Stock like 13 years ago and still running without a hitch...
  • sponger
    sponger Posts: 325
    edited January 2019
    OK I think you're referring to the TX SR805, which in that case is basically a flagship level avr back in '07 even though it technically isn't. Still, the only differences between the 805 and the flagship 876 appear to be unrelated to the power output. So, it's a 50lbs receiver that probably does its rated 130W/chann. In which case, while the A7s could use more power, I'd be surprised if they're being underpowered. Of course, they will never sound like a 16" sub, but you stated that the woofers are barely moving. That appears to be because they're crossed at 80hz. Also, just an FYI it has one sub output. All in all I think ur dad got himself a very nice avr even though it's outdated. I suppose you could plug a streaming device into one of the hdmi inputs and get most of the network functionality that's otherwise missing. My advice is not to use the latest gen amazon fire sticks, however. They do some kind of internal codecs to simulate atmos, and it ended up sounding really compressed. A roku ultra for example is pass through audio and doesn't have that issue. That could be just my experiences.
    Denon X7200WA
    LSiM 705 703 704c
    Denon DP 400
    Yamaha CDC 775
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,937
    I would DEFINITELY go for a sub upgrade before adding extra surrounds. I love my HSU VTF-2.5. It will crush any comparably priced Polk sub. You have a great center, and for movies the most important prices are the center and sub.

And you mentioned more surrounds equals more surface area for music, which indicates you listen in multi channel surround. Again, it’s you system and if you like it that way rock on, but I used to listen that way sometimes but once u upgrade my main speakers and got good clean power and an external dac I only listen to music in 2 channel unless it’s mixed in surround. Sounds so much better that way. So I would look at getting a 200 wpc or more 2 channel amp, and don’t bi amp the towers, just feed them that 200 watts from parasound or B&K for example.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • Thanks for the insight. I do appreciate it. The avr is a heavy beast, and 07 sounds about right. It's when I hooked it up for him. I am going to look into an external amp to add more power to the towers. I tested out the 16" ultra and honestly I wasnt that impressed, so I'll have to keep on looking. I will say the bass was super tight and I did like that. From what I have been seeing on the price point I can get an 18" sub.

Update on my dad's old sub:

I got in touch with Polk Audio and they said they can not replace my board and to send it in for repair. So I did. I got a call back almost two weeks later and was told it can't be fixed, but they can send an updated version of the board for 125.00. so they sent it, although I was confused why the other guy said he couldn't help me. I finally got it in today, hooked it up and am very happy it's back in working order again. I wish I could tell my pops...lol. The part I am confused about was it did not sound to much different then the SVS 16 ultra. The only thing I could think of was the demo receiver setup want not allowing for it's full potential. I would like to stick this one right behind my sitting area and add a second one in the front. I only have one sup output though so would splitting it work or make them both sound awful?

Compared to the 8" I have, it's much more punchy and allows you to feel the bass a lot more. I was always impressed with the 8," so hearing and feeling 4 more inches was actually pretty impressive. Plus I would imagine the building naturals have improved since the 8" was bought.
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Svs not impressive!? Sounds like you need to do the subwoofer crawl... That svs should have shifted your foundation.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,664
    A 12" $350.00 sub sounds the same as a 16" $2000.00 beast!?! Not even remotely possible.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• I was at Best buy, maybe something was set up wrong. Don't get me won't it sounded awesome, but compared to my cheap psw 125 it didn't impress me. That's why I think they screwed up something on their end, because my El cheapo shook me up more than the 16". It was super tight, but lacked any chest shaking. I am afraid to spend 2500 dollars. Maybe I need to go to a better store.