Dared SL2000a Preamp

13»

Comments

• zingo
    zingo Posts: 11,256
    edited November 2018
    I am pretty sure I just bought this exact preamp from you. Happened to stumble across this thread...

Ha and welcome to the forum! It's a cool place with a lot of audio knowledge.
  • Where’s the right place to ask newbie questions (like is it cool that the rectifier tube gets and stays super hot overnight)?
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,478
    edited November 2018
    Where’s the right place to ask newbie questions (like is it cool that the rectifier tube gets and stays super hot overnight)?

Well yea a rectifier tube is going to get very hot. My question would be are you just leaving it on to stay on or ??? I would just turn it on about 30 minutes before use and shut it down after I'm done.

Or are you asking that once shut down it is still very hot the next day? Your question now that I've read it 3x is a little confusing
    Post edited by pitdogg2 on
  • daboyz
    daboyz Posts: 5,206
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Where’s the right place to ask newbie questions (like is it cool that the rectifier tube gets and stays super hot overnight)?

Well yea a rectifier tube is going to get very hot. My question would be are you just leaving it on to stay on or ??? I would just turn it on about 30 minutes before use and shut it down after I'm done.

Shut it off. Give it a warm up period before you listen. Your tubes will thank you. (longer life)
  • thejazzmarauder
    thejazzmarauder Posts: 16
    edited November 2018

Or are you asking that once shut down it is still very hot the next day? Your question now that I've read it 3x is a little confusing
    I assumed that it's normal for the rectifier tube to get really hot, I was just surprised how hot it still was this morning. You got the true question right: should I leave it on 24/7? I've read a lot of opinions on this, and there doesn't seem to be a consensus. Thanks for the input.

• daboyz
    daboyz Posts: 5,206
    edited November 2018
    My background is I've owned one of these on probably at least four different occasions. I always shut it off and let it warm up for about 30 minutes before each session. Yes, it does get warm.

So sorry but I'm not getting the reason to leave it on. Maybe for a mind greater than my own.
  • trav0810 wrote: »
    Anyone here that wants to build a Dynaco ST-70?

bad1ts61k82t.jpg

I've never seen a copper colored one.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited January 2019

I assumed that it's normal for the rectifier tube to get really hot, I was just surprised how hot it still was this morning. You got the true question right: should I leave it on 24/7? I've read a lot of opinions on this, and there doesn't seem to be a consensus. Thanks for the input.

FWIW, I wouldn't leave a vacuum tube component on all of the time -- at least, not one using a vacuum tube HV rectifier. The risks, I'd opine, outweigh the benefit.

Hot as they get (and they get oven temperature hot), the HV rectifier should cool off relatively quickly (a few to 10 minutes or so) after the preamp's shut off.

If the HV rectifier is hot after the preamp's been shut off overnight -- something is either very weird or very wrong, I'd opine.
  • trav0810
    trav0810 Posts: 1,056
    ttownscott wrote: »
    trav0810 wrote: »
    Anyone here that wants to build a Dynaco ST-70?

bad1ts61k82t.jpg

I've never seen a copper colored one.

The chassis had been painted.

The difference between genius and stupidity is; genius has its limits.” -Albert Einstein

Sony Playstation 3 for CD and Streaming
    Thorens TD320
    Modified Carver C-1
    Carver TFM 42 and 45 Amplifiers
    Polk RTA15TL Speakers w/Decato mods
    White Lightning Moonshine DIY Speaker Cables and Interconnects
  • Bumping this thread. I'll now be pairing this preamp with a Yamaha m85 and my Thiel CS 1.5s. Very excited to hear how it sounds.
  • Apologies, I didn't realize this thread was in the Classifieds section of the forum.