Dared SL2000a Preamp

Comments

• zingozingo Audiophile Posts: 11,693
    trav0810 wrote: »
    zingo wrote: »
    Now I just need an amp as everything think I have is integrated... :p

You an Adcom fan? I have a couple of those laying around.

I am! What do you have and maybe we can make a deal... B)
  • PSOVLSKPSOVLSK Posts: 3,814
    DSkip wrote: »
    PSOVLSK wrote: »
    I've always wanted to try one of these and I almost bit the bullet on this one. Truth is, I have no place to put it, but I'd really like to hear one in my system. One of these days maybe.

Get with Dennis. He has one.

Forgot about that. I think I was considering the one he bought. Likely anyway since I consider buying every one that pops up in the FM.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • treitz3treitz3 Posts: 12,637
    ....if only it had more inputs....

'been bought the minute it hit the forum...Idgit. (me)

Tom
    In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to good analogue reproduction.
  • pitdogg2pitdogg2 Posts: 12,125
    treitz3 wrote: »

Tom

Yep Tom concur
  • mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 20,046
    edited August 2018
    Easy to add (line level) inputs with an outboard source selector :) Go cheap, 'spensive, new or used, or DIY.

Just sayin'.
    After a very generous offer by Travis, I am going to grab a local Hafler P1000 from a buddy. I will be using this Dared pre for my desk, so I wanted a thin amp, and the Hafler fit the bill, plus it uses MOSFETs! It's only rated at 50w, but for a desk/office application with 2-way monitors and the tube pre, it should be great!

Thanks again Travis!
  • trav0810trav0810 Posts: 1,020
    edited August 2018
    zingo wrote: »
    After a very generous offer by Travis, I am going to grab a local Hafler P1000 from a buddy. I will be using this Dared pre for my desk, so I wanted a thin amp, and the Hafler fit the bill, plus it uses MOSFETs! It's only rated at 50w, but for a desk/office application with 2-way monitors and the tube pre, it should be great!

Thanks again Travis!

The little Adcom 5002 I have is a 50w Mosfet as well. I had the chance to pick up something local, that is certainly what I would do as well. Why take the risk with the shipping services?
    The difference between genius and stupidity is; genius has its limits.” -Albert Einstein

Sony Playstation 3 for CD and Streaming
    Thorens TD320
    Modified Carver C-1
    Carver TFM 42 and 45 Amplifiers
    Polk RTA15TL Speakers w/Decato mods
    White Lightning Moonshine DIY Speaker Cables and Interconnects
    treitz3 wrote: »

Tom

I generally only ever used to inputs myself. One for the DAC, and the other for a phono preamp.
    The difference between genius and stupidity is; genius has its limits.” -Albert Einstein

Thorens TD320
    Modified Carver C-1
    Anyone here that wants to build a Dynaco ST-70?

bad1ts61k82t.jpg

Thorens TD320
    Modified Carver C-1
  • EndersShadowEndersShadow Posts: 16,226
    Sure, drop it off and I will have it built... just dont ever come back for it :wink:
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
    Sure, drop it off and I will have it built... just dont ever come back for it :wink:

that's even better. I will drop it off to you, exchange it for some American currency, and then never come back to pick it up!

Thorens TD320
    Modified Carver C-1
  • mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 20,046
    "only 50 watts"...

;)

that's even better. I will drop it off to you, exchange it for some American currency, and then never come back to pick it up!

Got to get up pretty early to pull one over on Travis.
    Dan he likes sandwiches with olives he can be bribed
    Muffaletta!!!

Thorens TD320
    Modified Carver C-1
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    "only 50 watts"...

;)

Only! :D
    Muffaletta!!!

You and lightboy should get together, he likes goats to :)
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Muffaletta!!!

I must have scared him away. He came by a few weeks back, but he is avoided me ever since!

Thorens TD320
    Modified Carver C-1
    Muffaletta!!!

I must have scared him away. He came by a few weeks back, but he is avoided me ever since!

Good times for sure
  • EndersShadowEndersShadow Posts: 16,226

Thats what I said......

"....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • mlistens03mlistens03 Posts: 2,384
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    "only 50 watts"...

;)

That's quite a power house for your speakers...
    Micah

Main system: Technics SL3200, Shure M97xE, Lafayette LR1100 for tuner, Hagerman Audio Labs Bugle 2 phono stage, NAD C352 integrated, Boston Acoustics VR 2, Boston PV500, generic ICs, and BJC Belden speaker cables.

Desktop: Dell Precision 690 running iTunes, Yamaha RX-v665, Monitor Audio R90s, Velodyne VA-907, generic ICs and speaker cables.
    I've always thought the goal of high-end audio was not to have your neighbors bang on the wall and say, 'Turn that darn music down' but to have your neighbors bang on the wall and say, 'Tell your friends to go home and you can practice later this week'.
  • lightman1lightman1 Posts: 10,007
    Muffaletta!!!

I'm over in Dayton Ohio. I'll be back your way this weekend. Rock on Big Daddy!
  • daboyzdaboyz Posts: 4,737
    WagnerRC wrote: »
    daboyz wrote: »
    Thank God!! In my present position I can't buy anything but I've owned one on three or four (lol) different occasions. Like has been said, great piece for the money.

Can't wait for the next one to come up for sale......

;)

I have yours and another one sitting on the shelf here. I really never used the 2 bought here on polk. I moved onto the Joule stuff quickly after purchasing.

Hey, Bob!
    You gotta get one of them out and give it a listen. No match for the Joule obviously but a fun little pre.

Main - Infinity RSIIIb, Magnepan 1.4, Marsh A200s, Twisted Pear Buffalo III DAC, Schiit Saga pre, Oppo BDP 93, Pioneer Elite BDP 62FD, Marantz SR7008, Usher S-525, Martin Logan Dynamo, NHT CS-10, Polk S15, Mogami 3103 speaker wire, Mogami 2534 IC

mini HT - Samsung 46" 3D TV + 3D Blu ray player, HK AVR 254, Infinity SL40, Audioengine B1
    I got the Dared in the mail last night and will hook it up today to my Hafler and my Monoprice K-BAS speakers. Thanks Travis as it looks like it arrived in good condition (haven't turned it on yet), but I'm excited to do some listening this weekend.

Does anyone know the output voltage of this preamp?
  • Man what a nice piece for a great price. Tried to find one on the bay for the longest, may just go with a Bottlehead Quickie. Tried to do a quick search but couldn't find anything on the output voltage, can't say that I looked THAT hard though.
    Living room

Mains: Paradigm 90P
    Lows: Velodyne CHT12, Pioneer SW-8Mk2
    Power: Marantz SR7000
    Tv: Samsung UHD 55' Curved 4k

2 Channel Den

Mains: SDA2B Upgraded XOs and Binding Posts
    Pre: Denon PRA-1200
    Power: Adcom GFA-545
    TT: Pioneer PL510

Noggin Rockin'

Phillips L2
    Harman Kardon CL
    Little dot 1+/GE JAN 5654w

Closet of Dreams:

Polk RTA11TL
    New Large Advents 25th Anniversary Edition
    Bravo V2/RCA Clear top Conn branded 12AU7
    Yamaha AV-34

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
    Man what a nice piece for a great price. Tried to find one on the bay for the longest, may just go with a Bottlehead Quickie. Tried to do a quick search but couldn't find anything on the output voltage, can't say that I looked THAT hard though.

It does look like a really neat preamp.

I'm interested in trying out some buffer/follower amp designs, and I heard this preamp has high gain, but was wondering exactly how much since those designs are no/low gain. I couldn't find any of the specs online either... :neutral:
  • heiney9heiney9 Posts: 23,921
    12AT7 is a high gain tube just slightly less than a 12AX7. You can use 5965, 6211 and the Raytheon 6414 3-mica bp sounds excellent.

Yes, for some amps it is high gain piece. I had to use tube dampers on the long plate tubes I used. If you plan to keep it I'd also highly recommend these or something similar. It helped a lot with microphonics when using the longer plate 5965, 6211 and 6414 varieties.

https://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=PGPICO

However, there are some stellar standard 12AT7/ECC81 tubes that don't have microphonics like the longer plate varieties. Not all long plate tubes exhibited microphonics, but they had more of a tendency to.

H9

"Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

Pass Aleph 30 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Plus DAC | MIT Shotgun S3 | MIT Z P/C's | updated SDA 1C| SQ Box Touch/Welbourne Labs P/S- Tubes add soul!
    iethnw5wfdgk.jpeg
  • FaustinFaustin Posts: 809
    I really liked my little Dared pre. It was my first step into the tube rabbit hole. Enjoy.
  • FaustinFaustin Posts: 809
    codycatalist

"Man what a nice piece for a great price. Tried to find one on the bay for the longest, may just go with a Bottlehead Quickie. Tried to do a quick search but couldn't find anything on the output voltage, can't say that I looked THAT hard though."

The Bottlehead Quickie is fun way to enter in to the DYI tube arena. Reasonably priced. The instructions are top notch. It is battery powered so you don't electricute yourself if you f**k up. And, yes I did screw up when I went into upgrade mode. The nice thing is that it is a really nice sounding pre. Punches way above it's price point.
  • zingo wrote: »
    iethnw5wfdgk.jpeg
    I am pretty sure I just bought this exact preamp from you. Happened to stumble across this thread...