Revel Performa F208

Anyone had experience with these? I have been watching some on CL for a while now and they are just calling me. They would slot right in where the 705’s are now

Comments

• mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Different ones. But yeah those look nice.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    I have plenty of experience as I sold them when they first came out and think they are fantastic sounding speakers.
    They are smooth up top with a beautiful clear warm top end. The mid bass is clean and inviting. The bass hits hard but is quick and accurate. I see no reason to not own these wonderful speakers.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Always liked Revel speakers myself though I haven't heard this particular model yet.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Gerres26
    Gerres26 Posts: 859
    I was just reading some reviews on those f208s just the other day. They seem pretty well received for the most part as being a very balanced speaker.

Not to steal the thread but does anyone have any experience with Dynaudio Contour s5.4 speakers? There is a set semi local and they look rather intriguing.
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    A friend of mine has a pair of Revels. Mantis pretty much explained how I feel about them. I find them to have a lack of soundstage and 3D imaging though, It could have been setup issues. I would take the 705’s over my buddies Revels. If Polk could get their quality control under wraps. I had an issue with 2 pairs. Gorgeous build, and sounded great with MIT magnums on them, they just disappeared with that combo. Wish I kept them.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• mantis
    Gerres26 wrote: »
    I was just reading some reviews on those f208s just the other day. They seem pretty well received for the most part as being a very balanced speaker.

Not to steal the thread but does anyone have any experience with Dynaudio Contour s5.4 speakers? There is a set semi local and they look rather intriguing.

yes I do. The Contour series speakers are probably arguably the best in class. You will not find many speakers in that retail price area that outperforms them for anything. The Entire Contour series is hands down a superior line of speakers from all the years they have been making them. The S5.4's are simply put AMAZING
    Dan
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    The guy I bought my MAC from recently had a pair of Revels. Very similar to the set posted in the CL ad above. He played some tunes on em for me. Very detailed presentation, IMO, but maybe a bit lacking (for my taste) in the lower bass regions, but overall very nice sounding pair.

And quite a nice looking statement piece! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Gerres26
    Gerres26 Posts: 859
    mantis wrote: »
    yes I do. The Contour series speakers are probably arguably the best in class. You will not find many speakers in that retail price area that outperforms them for anything. The Entire Contour series is hands down a superior line of speakers from all the years they have been making them. The S5.4's are simply put AMAZING

Well then...I'll have to look into them if they're still available. They looked nice but i know nothing about dynaudio so i wasn't sure about them.
  • mantis
    mantis wrote: »

Well then...I'll have to look into them if they're still available. They looked nice but i know nothing about dynaudio so i wasn't sure about them.
    You need to experience Dynaudio if you never have or know nothing about them. Think about the detail of B&W, then think of punch of Def Tech, then filter in some Vienna Acoustics finesse with a touch of Martin Logan Depth. Then better all those ideas and memories and you end up with Dynaudio.

Dan
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,163
    Necro-post here, but I think I will be getting a pair of these (F208) tomorrow. Has anybody else here actually picked up a pair of these bang-for-buck champ Revels?
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    The F208 have been on my want list for years after listening to the top Revels at shows.

For what its worth, if anything at all.... More recently I had a chance to compare the Revel 228Be to some older Boston Acoustic VR and VS speakers. The difference in sound staging was tremendous. The Bostons were more in your face and the Revels produces a huge soundstage.

The speakers were so different that it really comes down to individual taste. One would have to listen in their own space to really know. IMO, I felt the 228Be need a LARGE space to play in. When I sat further back listening to large orchestra music the sound was amazing. OTOH, I liked the Boston VR3 with some other types of music, rock, pop, etc. for example.

I wonder if the F208 is similar in sound staging?

Here are some beauty pics (Not actual arraignment during listening) and links if interested. Page 12 and 13 is where the feedback is. https://www.avsforum.com/threads/revel-performa-228be-vs-boston-acoustics-vr3.3193379/page-12

img_20210516_181636-jpg.3137091

img_20210516_154100-jpg.3137094

2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • billbillw
    K_M wrote: »

Saw that. That guy is brutal to some otherwise well thought of speakers.
  • billbillw
    WLDock wrote: »
    The F208 have been on my want list for years after listening to the top Revels at shows.

For what its worth, if anything at all.... More recently I had a chance to compare the Revel 228Be to some older Boston Acoustic VR and VS speakers. The difference in sound staging was tremendous. The Bostons were more in your face and the Revels produces a huge soundstage.

The speakers were so different that it really comes down to individual taste. One would have to listen in their own space to really know. IMO, I felt the 228Be need a LARGE space to play in. When I sat further back listening to large orchestra music the sound was amazing. OTOH, I liked the Boston VR3 with some other types of music, rock, pop, etc. for example.

I wonder if the F208 is similar in sound staging?

Here are some beauty pics (Not actual arraignment during listening) and links if interested. Page 12 and 13 is where the feedback is. https://www.avsforum.com/threads/revel-performa-228be-vs-boston-acoustics-vr3.3193379/page-12

These will be going in a pretty large space. A 375 sq ft room with 18' cathedral ceilings. It is a lively room and I will probably need to invest in some acoustic treatments.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    They look great! Glad to hear that they sound great as well. Congrats and enjoy!
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    Dang you don't waste any time!!
    Congrats they look great
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,491
    Dan Wright (Modwright) was showing with Revel floorstanders at Pacific Audio Fest. I’m not sure which model was playing, but the room was one of my favorites at the show. Very well balanced with a lot of detail. Enjoy the new toys!
  • jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    Congrats!
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,908
    Congrats, very nice.
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    billbillw wrote: »
    They reproduce an orchestra better than anything I've heard to date
    Congrats!
    OK, so the staging must have some trickle down similarities to the 228Be because orchestra selections were great on those.

2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • billbillw
    WLDock wrote: »
    billbillw wrote: »
    They reproduce an orchestra better than anything I've heard to date
    Congrats!
    OK, so the staging must have some trickle down similarities to the 228Be because orchestra selections were great on those.

Not sure about trickle down...more like trickle up. The 228BE was actually designed based on the F208 and improved with better drivers (and probably crossover). But yes, orchestra and big band music were excellent. Really, all genres (if I picked the best recordings) had outstanding imaging. It tends to fall apart with poor recordings. I put a set of Focal JM Labs demo discs on back to back play and everything was outstanding...drum solos, blues, jazz, electronic. The imaging was simply outstanding...
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    Jealous of those JM Lab demo discs. DO WANT.
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,491
    Update: Modwright was using Revel F228be at the Pacific Audio Fest, $11,000.