Need advices on LSIM setup

potvin103potvin103 Posts: 3
edited December 2018 in Electronics
Hey,

Recently bought the LSIM 707 pair and the 706c + a pair of 703.

Also bought Sony STRDN1080 7.2 Channel Atmos Network AV Receiver. Will it be enough? I've read that we need an external amp to power up those speakers. Is that absolutely needed? Also, would you recommend adding a sub? I live in a condo so I won't really crank that up I just want the most quality possible.

If the receiver above is not good enough, could you recommend one for this setup? Budget is around 1k + 1k for the amp if needed (xpa 3).

Room is 13 w x 18 h x 18 l (open living room) and looking to play music + ps4

Thank you so much!

Comments

• ken brydsonken brydson Posts: 7,401
    In a word, no that AVR isn't enough. At a quick glance its an entry level unit @ $400 bucks, only weighs 21# and doesn't appear to have pre outs to add an external amp even if you wanted to. Is it too late to return it and go with something better suited for your needs?
    HT/Main- Panny 50" G10 Plasma, Pioneer SC-1222k AVR, Panny DMP-BD60 BDP, Polk LS90 mains, CS350LS center, LS/fx side surrounds, LS50 surround backs, SVS 25-31PC+ sub, Harmony One

Office Rig- Marantz 2252B, Denon 2910, Kenwood KD2070 TT, Polk RTA 12B's/ RTA8t
  • potvin103potvin103 Posts: 3
    edited December 2018
    In a word, no that AVR isn't enough. At a quick glance its an entry level unit @ $400 bucks, only weighs 21# and doesn't appear to have pre outs to add an external amp even if you wanted to. Is it too late to return it and go with something better suited for your needs?

No it's not too late at all. Would Onkyo TX-RZ820 7.2 Channel Network AV Receiver be a better choice? If not, which one would you recommend in the 1-1.5k budget?
  • rpf65rpf65 Posts: 2,002
    Stay away from Onkyo.
  • rpf65 wrote: »

Cool! But it looks like this specific one is not really available here. I can get the AVR-X4500H, is it the same thing? Or the AVRX3500H? Both are the same price here.
  • cfrizzcfrizz Posts: 13,282
    Welcome to Club Polk!

You have purchased Polk's top of the line speaker set, you would do much better to up your game with your receiver or even switch to a prepro.

Most around here prefer Marantz, or Denon receivers. Look for ones that have everything the Sony has, and then make sure it has preouts to add a separate amp. Your Sony does not have these.

Something along these lines will help get you there.

https://www.amazon.com/Denon-AVRX4400H-Channel-Network-Receiver/dp/B072Z6VT1C/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1546027696&sr=1-5&keywords=denon

https://www.amazon.com/Marantz-SR5012-Channel-Surround-Receiver/dp/B072ZJ9SRM/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1546027832&sr=1-4&keywords=marantz+receiver

Shop around for the best price.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 ch. 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony Bravia KDL-40R510C TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Boston VR-920 Center Channel, SVS NSD-12 SB12 Subwoofer, Polk DSW 400 Subwoofer, Polk FXi-3 Surround Speakers
  • rpf65rpf65 Posts: 2,002
    potvin103 wrote: »
    rpf65 wrote: »

Cool! But it looks like this specific one is not really available here. I can get the AVR-X4500H, is it the same thing? Or the AVRX3500H? Both are the same price here.

That’s the newest version. The 4xxx is a little bit more robust version compared to the 3xxx series.
  • WLDockWLDock Posts: 2,453
    Have you considered used? Are you after ATMOS, Audyssey DSX or not? Could find a pre/pro and amp for that money.
    FAMILY ROOM
    HDTV - Sharp AQUOS LC-70LE600U 70" | AVR/Streamer - Onkyo TX-NR3008 | Amp - Parasound HCA-1203A
    Blu-Ray/Media/Gaming - Sony PS3-320GB / Microsoft Xbox One | Broadcast - Xfinity X1 Platform
    Front Spkrs - Coming...DIY Statement II | Center Spkrs - Coming...DIY Statement II | Rear Spkrs - Artison Portrait LRS
    Sub - DIY Stereo Integrity HT 15 | Sub Amp - Dayton Audio SA1000
    Wire - Audioquest Type 4, BJC Belden 5000 | HDMI - BJC Belden | Power Cables - Pangea | Surge - Monster
  • Thank you so much for your answers!! I'll go with the AVR-X4500H since everyone recommend the 4400 but it's not available here. Hopefully their newest version will work!
    WLDock wrote: »
    Have you considered used? Are you after ATMOS, Audyssey DSX or not? Could find a pre/pro and amp for that money.

I don't mind used! And I have no idea what those things are.

Would the XPA-3 be a good add?
  • cfrizzcfrizz Posts: 13,282
    It will get you up and running with your front 3 channels operating to their full potential. Only you can decide if you like the sound signature.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 ch. 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony Bravia KDL-40R510C TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Boston VR-920 Center Channel, SVS NSD-12 SB12 Subwoofer, Polk DSW 400 Subwoofer, Polk FXi-3 Surround Speakers
  • DSkipDSkip Posts: 15,669
    If the latest codecs aren't important check out some Pioneer SC series. If 4K isn't important you can get a fantastic receiver for under $300 that might eliminate the need to use amps. A quality amplifier will always do better than a receiver but in some cases you might be satisfied without one.
    audiothesis.com/

Speakers: Harbeth: 30.2, SHL5+; Usher: Be-10, T-515; Rosso Fiorentino: Elba, Pienza, Certaldo, Fiesole, Volterra; Polk: T50, Signature S15, RTA 15tl, RTi12; Sonner Audio Allegro Unum, Legato Unum, Legato Semis, Legato Duo; Emerald Physics CS-2.8; Klipsch KLF-20
    Preamps: Shuguang S200MK, Dayens Ampino, Parasound P5
    Amps: Shuguang S845MK, Dayens Ampino Monoblocks, Parasound A23
    Integrateds: Triode Corporation TRV-88SER, MastersounD: BoX, Dueventi, Compact 845, Evolution 845; North Star Design Blue Diamond
    Sources: AURALiC Aries, Denon HEOS Link, North Star Design: Magnifico, Supremo, Incanto, Intenso, Venti
    Cabling: Wireworld
    TV: Sony XBR-75X940C