New member check in. I love my SDAs

Options
I'm a new member. I have a set of SDA 1cs. Looking for other cool speakers to try out. Any suggestions?

Comments

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    Have you done any upgrades to your 1C's?

Plenty of upgrades that take them to a new level

Welcome to Club Polk
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • thrustmag
    Options
    Completely stock. Where do I start to explore upgrade ideas? Thanks.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,085
    Options
    Can you say Dreadnaught?

Join the group buy. There won't be another for a while . . .

https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/184587/group-buy-2019-dreadnought-avel-lindberg-1000va-isolation-transformers/p1

Welcome aboard!
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • codycatalist
    Options
    Welcome!
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,017
    Options
    Congrats on owning some very special speakers. B)

Stick around and learn a ton about Polk Audio Speakers and the great people who own them or have and are here to help in any way we can. ;)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,017
    edited December 2018
    Options
    thrustmag wrote: »
    I'm a new member. I have a set of SDA 1cs. Looking for other cool speakers to try out. Any suggestions?

I'd say any of the SDA models and the new LSiM series.

My SDA-SRS2s are simply WOW speakers. You don't know what you're missing until you here the BIG BOYS.

Believe me! :D
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Options
    Welcome to the rabbit hole!
    Fixed it for you

Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,472
    edited December 2018
    Options
    If u love em & you plan on keeping em - try this https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/184420/are-the-rd-0194-really-an-improvement-over-the-2000s#latest then thank people who do this :)
    Randy/Maine
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Options
    Welcome! I’m in the middle of a 1C upgrade, but, well, got sidetracked a bit! SDA SRS’s baby!

Plenty of folks here to help, as I come to know and appreciate. @westmassguy among plenty others, is your huckleberry! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • codycatalist
    Options
    Welcome to the rabbit hole!
    Fixed it for you

Can't we just welcome people without encouraging the spending of money?!

Who am I kidding we are Club Polk it's what we do B)
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • CH46E
    CH46E Posts: 3,547
    Options
    Welcome to the forum! This is one of the best for getting good info from knowledgeable people.
  • honestaquarian
    Options
    GlennDog wrote: »
    Can you say Dreadnaught?

Join the group buy. There won't be another for a while . . .

https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/184587/group-buy-2019-dreadnought-avel-lindberg-1000va-isolation-transformers/p1

Welcome aboard!

I second that opinion.
    Welcome to the rabbit🐇hole 🕳
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,434
    Options
    Welcome to the club "I'm not obsessive compulsive... Honest!" Polk. Fully modded 1C's (with Dreadnought) are a fantastic speaker!
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    Options
    @thrustmag,

The first thing I would do, based on my experience with fully modding a set of 1Cs, is to depress the passive radiator in each speaker, release it, and see how long the midrange drivers take to move back into the neutral position. If the time isn't three seconds or more, you're losing bass because you've got an air leak somewhere. If the midrange drivers do not extend, then you've really got a leak!

Second, make sure you get on the current group buy for the Avel-Lindberg 1000VA toroidal transformer and for one of Larry's cases. This mod is worth every penny you spend on it, and the transformer is, of course, the crucial component. You cannot buy it except in this fashion because it is not a stock product. You can find full instructions on how to build the Dreadnought on this forum.

Third, buy RD0-194 tweeters to upgrade your tweeters. You may be able to buy some used ones online or you can order them new from Polk (and get a 10% discount, if you mention that you're a member here).

After that you can read any number of threads on this Forum about crossover, wiring, binding-post and other upgrades, all of which make a difference.

My experience with my fully modded upgrades to my 1Cs was that they were already good speakers, but they became fantastic speakers with the mods.

Welcome to the quest!
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• gimpod
    gimpod Posts: 1,793
    Options
    Tony M wrote: »

My SDA-SRS2s are simply WOW speakers. You don't know what you're missing until you hear the BIG BOYS.

Fixed it for ya!

Also a self promoting shameless plug SDA 1C Crossover upgrade Look around.

Top-new.jpg

For more info DHS Speaker Service
    “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.” ~ Mark Twain
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Options
    gimpod wrote: »
    Tony M wrote: »

My SDA-SRS2s are simply WOW speakers. You don't know what you're missing until you hear the BIG BOYS.

Fixed it for ya!

Also a self promoting shameless plug SDA 1C Crossover upgrade Look around.

Top-new.jpg

For more info DHS Speaker Service

Looks vaguely familiar Tony...
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • gimpod
    gimpod Posts: 1,793
    Options
    I know, It's weird :confounded:
    “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.” ~ Mark Twain
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,434
    Options
    Great. I think we scared off another new member...
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus