SWA500 amplifier sudden zombie-mode

I've got a fully-kitted out media room with Polk 265-LSs and 80F/X-LS. Part of that setup is the SWA500 amp + 2x CSW100s, which worked flawlessly for over five years until last week.

There's no sound at all coming from the subs. I've checked the subs with another (dinky) amp and they work fine. I've double checked all settings on my receiver and everything is as it should be. Checked all wiring as well. Everything seems fine except the SWA500.

On the SWA500, AUTO is what I've been using - and the green power light did used to switch to red when no signal was sent after a few minutes. Now it doesn't.

The green light is 'on' (whether it's ON or in AUTO). It's red when switched to STANDBY.

The protection light is not on.

Bummed, I contacted customer service. Kim suggested I send it in for repair if it's still under warranty. It isn't (I bought it August 2013). I've asked her to provide me with other options - perhaps I can get new parts for it. I haven't heard back yet.

I've taken a peek inside and it seems that the power supply board is shot. There's a yellow capacitor that has had its magic smoke escape (photo attached).

Perhaps I could get a replacement for this board?

I understand this is a busy time of year but I do miss my bass and would appreciate Polk's assistance in getting it back.

Is there a parts department I can call?

Thanks

3b4vbidigkmb.jpg

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    Kim is a man.

You can get the values off the existing capacitor and buy a replacement online.

Polk doesn't have a parts department as such.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• hishamk
    hishamk Posts: 6
    edited December 2018
    F1nut wrote: »
    Polk doesn't have a parts department as such.

With all due respect, this doesn't make sense. A premium brand like Polk must have a parts department or at least an out-of-warranty repairs department - at least for products that are still being sold (which the SWA500 is).

I don't think it's good practice to expect customers to dump repairable products in a landfill. I don't think anyone does. One less thing our planet needs.

Bowers and Wilkins, B&O, Cambridge Audio, and Linn all support ancient products with a parts catalogue and/or out-of-warranty repair services.

Yes, I can go ahead and try to replace the cap by myself, but I don't think the issue is as simple as replacing a cap from reading online. I would think it would make sense to send in the board to Polk for QA analysis and get a replacement. If Polk does say it's the cap and it's a known issue - then I'll gladly pull out my old soldering iron and give it a go.

If anyone from Polk is on here that cares to jive in, that'll be appreciated.

Thanks

• Hello,
    Polk does have a service department, it's located at: Polk Service, One Viper Way, Vista, CA. 92081. You would send the amps there along with a short note giving them your name, address, email address, telephone number and a copy of your sales receipt. Polk will quickly evaluate them and contact you with what they find.
    I hope this is helpful.
  • I hope this is helpful.

It is, thanks. Though I was hoping - since it's out of warranty - that I could just order a replacement power board and send in the burnt one for analysis.

The reason being is that the amp is located outside the US and it would cost upwards of $250 to ship.
  • You might want to continue communicating with Kim (Kim.Jasper@soundunited.com) and ask if there is an importer/service capability in the country where the amp is located. Or, if he can provide an amp schematic and a reliable local service company could use it to troubleshoot the amp.
  • You might want to continue communicating with Kim (Kim.Jasper@soundunited.com) and ask if there is an importer/service capability in the country where the amp is located. Or, if he can provide an amp schematic and a reliable local service company could use it to troubleshoot the amp.

Did so and received a reply today from Kim. Unfortunately no schematics are available.

I've asked him if there is any other recourse like purchasing spare part boards or out-of-warranty service. No response.

I'm really trying not to relegate this to the landfill and buying a whole new one :/
  • It seems the SWA500 is "on backorder". Is there an ETA on that?
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited January 2019
    hishamk wrote: »
    I hope this is helpful.

It is, thanks. Though I was hoping - since it's out of warranty - that I could just order a replacement power board and send in the burnt one for analysis.

The reason being is that the amp is located outside the US and it would cost upwards of $250 to ship.
    Many subwoofer amps are made with low cost boards assembled overseas. Some companies don't bother with repair nor do they offer replacement boards. Such is the case with the Polk SWA500. I purchased one off eBay for cheap as a repair project but the PS board was badly burned and I found out replacement boards are not available awhile back.

In your case, it would be best to see if a local repair tech can fix it. If not, replace the amp with another SWA500 or something cheaper like a Behringer NX1000D 0r NX3000D w/DSP available for £199.80 / £232.95 in the UK vs. £629.00 for the SWA500. You may need something like an Art CleanBox converter to drive the amp properly depending on the output voltage from your AVR. https://www.amazon.co.uk/ART-Cleanbox-Pro-Stereo-Converter/dp/B003S7T49K/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1546618890&sr=8-5&keywords=Cleanbox

Behringer NX1000D
    Watts/Side @ 8 ohms: 160W x 2
    Watts/Side @ 4 ohms: 300W x 2
    Watts/Side @ 2 ohms: 500W x 2

Behringer NX3000D
    Watts/Side @ 8 ohms: 440W x 2
    Watts/Side @ 4 ohms: 900W x 2
    Watts/Side @ 2 ohms: 1500W x 2

http://www.musictribe.com/Categories/Behringer/Power-Amplifiers/Portable/NX3000D/p/P0CHW

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Behringer-NX1000D-Range-Ultra-Lightweight-Amplifiers/dp/B07GS3JDNJ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1546618685&sr=8-1&keywords=Behringer+NX1000D

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Behringer-NX3000D-Range-Ultra-Lightweight-Amplifiers/dp/B07GSB6CRC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1546617734&sr=8-1&keywords=Behringer+NX

https://www.amazon.co.uk/polkaudio-SWA500-Power-Amplifier-800W/dp/B003GTCD48/ref=sr_1_1?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1546617686&sr=8-1&keywords=Polk+SWA500
    Post edited by WLDock on
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • WLDock wrote: »
    Many subwoofer amps are made with low cost boards assembled overseas. Some companies don't bother with repair nor do they offer replacement boards. Such is the case with the Polk SWA500. I purchased one off eBay for cheap as a repair project but the PS board was badly burned and I found out replacement boards are not available awhile back.

In your case, it would be best to see if a local repair tech can fix it.

Thanks WLDock. Appreciate the advice and alternatives listed.

I checked around and managed to get a new SWA500 for around $360 net shipped so it wasn't too bad considering if it was repairable I would've probably paid as much.

Still keeping the old unit and will try to fix it. I ordered a couple of new caps and will give it a go once they arrive.

I really think legislation has to force companies to honor service/parts for all products that are currently being sold (or discontinued for less than 5 or 10 years), even if they are out of warranty (paid service/parts that is).
  • Hey guys is there an update on this? Did you ever figure out the specific capacitor that fried?
  • VSAT88
    VSAT88 Posts: 1,226
    That looks like a film capacitor. If it went bang replacing it and just it would probably not work so well. You just about bet something up stream caused it to fail. Could be a lightning strike, who knows. I will say this. Those are dual layer boards and replacing components on those is a for real P>I>T>A. Using Crown or Behringer outboard as suggested above would work but.....
  • DQL
    DQL Posts: 3
    edited May 2021
    My SWA500 also died, and it is the same two 0.5uF capacitors (there is one on the backside as well).
    New caps from DigiKey coming tomorrow, so we'll see if simply replacing them works. DigiKey PN that I chose is 338-4489-ND. That one looks like it has the same lead spacing, and again, there are two of them.

One could also try DigiKey PN 495-B32522E6105K000-ND. That looks like a 1uF version with the same lead spacing, so presumably would only require one.

8nk1evbpyovl.jpg
  • WLDock
    The same issue with the BASH amp that I have as well. The backside is pretty bad.
    4gsrfc6ixnmg.jpg
    bxnp7212pcvj.jpg.
    I have up on this one. I have another to repair for a HSU sub that has no thermal damage.

2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    You sure that is not flame linear stuff?
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    Those look like the Ohshitson capacitors. Made by the famous Chinese fireworks company that bears the same name. I wouldn't recommend using the same one as a replacement. Just my opinion though.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • DQL
    edited May 2021
    DQL wrote: »
    My SWA500 also died, and it is the same two 0.5uF capacitors (there is one on the backside as well).
    New caps from DigiKey coming tomorrow, so we'll see if simply replacing them works. DigiKey PN that I chose is 338-4489-ND. That one looks like it has the same lead spacing, and again, there are two of them.

One could also try DigiKey PN 495-B32522E6105K000-ND. That looks like a 1uF version with the same lead spacing, so presumably would only require one.

<< image removed >>

The parts came, I replaced the two burned 0.5 uF caps with the single DigiKey PN 495-B32522E6105K000-ND 1 uF cap, and now the amplifier works again.
  • DQL
    WLDock wrote: »
    The same issue with the BASH amp that I have as well. The backside is pretty bad.

<< images removed >>

I have up on this one. I have another to repair for a HSU sub that has no thermal damage.

That circuit board looks exactly like the one in the SWA500. "C2" is the part I replaced. It looks like yours has damage to more parts than mine.
  • DQL wrote: »

8nk1evbpyovl.jpg

How's that holding up? I'm glad you found a solution, I hope it's stable, where can I buy those caps? It seems that DigiKey has a 19 weeks lead time...
  • I have the same issue with my SWA500; however, the unit is still working. The cap on the backside of the board starts smoldering when I drive the unit harder. To me this seems to be a design defect in the unit, if so many of us are having the same issue. As the output stage starts to require more power to operate, then it seems like the weakest link is at these 2 - 0.5uF capacitors in the power supply section.

I'll try replacing the capacitors as suggested by @DQL.

• I have same problem. Just ordered that digikey cap. Will let you guys know how it goes. I also have this broken part for the stand by / auto switch. Any advice on ordering this, or just have to dissect and see if I can repair?thbuftg5snwn.jpeg

Thank you!
    mc6n2f7d645f.jpeg
    gx3rj7qwyisp.jpeg
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    Never soldier in flipflops and shorts....you will find out at the wrong time how fast you can move!
  • WLDock
    I also have this broken part for the stand by / auto switch. Any advice on ordering this, or just have to dissect and see if I can repair?
    If you search hard enough you might be able to find a replacement.