Cambridge Audio Edge series

Clipdat
Clipdat Posts: 12,559
Just started reading about these Cambridge Audio Edge series components after reading the review of the integreated in the latest issue of Stereophile.

https://www.cambridgeaudio.com/usa/en/products/edge

They have an integreated (Edge A), a network streamer/preamp (Edge NQ), and a power amp (Edge W).

I'm especially intrigued by the MSRP $3,000 power amp as it seems to be packed full of engineering decisions that "just make sense".

Namely, these seem to resonate most with me:

"Edge W utilizes opposing-symmetry twin toroidal transformers that cancel out electromagnetic interference."

"Edge W features just 14 hand-picked components in the ultra-clean signal path."

"We completely removed all the capacitors from the signal path and instead introduced a DC coupled topology to the board. We decided that capacitors needed to be removed from the signal path, simply because they can be responsible for adding more distortion and colour than many other components. This technology prevents the delivery of DC to your speakers by using dedicated servos to inject equal and opposite amounts of DC, therefore eliminating it completely."

You can read more about their engineering decisions here: https://www.cambridgeaudio.com/usa/en/blog/making-edge-5-key-technologies

It doesn't look half bad either!

Cambridge_Audio_Edge_w_Gallery_02_Large.jpg

20180510163449_Cambridge_Audio_Edge_in_Munchen_7.jpg

Cambridge-Audio-Edge-W-Inside.jpg

Cambridge-Audio-Edge-W-Inside-Detail.jpg

Anyone else read the Stereophile review or have any thoughts on these Edge series components?

Comments

• SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,492
    Stage left: it appears as though they used a finger as one of the 14 :o
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • Clipdat
    That is a resistor.
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    Yeah, looks nice! I had a much cheaper Cambridge integrated a while ago and liked it. I'd consider this integrated if I needed one and had $5k...
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    I’ve been very happy with the CXN and really like their components
    This stuff looks very intriguing
  • Clipdat
    I had a dream last night about the Edge W. And it's not the first one I've had about it. I should stop looking at gear photos before bed.

Obsession level: 8/10
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    I love my Cambridge Audio 840W power amps at 800 watt in bridged mono mode with 4 ohm speakers. They are just a couple of steps down from my Pass amps.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Clipdat
    edited December 2018
    BlueFox wrote: »
    I love my Cambridge Audio 840W power amps at 800 watt in bridged mono mode with 4 ohm speakers. They are just a couple of steps down from my Pass amps.

Interesting, it looks like yours have a very similar internal design/layout compared to the new Edge W:

azur-840w-1-cambridge-audio.jpg

633721-cambridge_audio_flagship_840e840w_pre_amp_power_amplifier_silver.jpg

• BlueFox
    Yes. I think Cambridge is trying to remarket their top end.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Clipdat
    I'm less excited about it now since it seems to be a re-engineer of an existing design, rather than a brand new design. However, I would still like to own it. ;)
  • BlueFox
    New designs can have issues. Stick with what works, and make it better.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • mdaudioguy
    Clipdat wrote: »
    I'm less excited about it now since it seems to be a re-engineer of an existing design, rather than a brand new design. However, I would still like to own it. ;)
    Things can look similar and sound different. If I were interested, I'd want to hear one first.
  • Clipdat
    edited December 2018
    mdaudioguy wrote: »
    Things can look similar and sound different. If I were interested, I'd want to hear one first.

Cambridge actually suggested similar and recommend that I visit a local authorized dealer.

Aside from the fact that I don't care for this particular dealer based on my previous experiences with them, how can you accurately judge a piece of equipment such as an amplifier at a dealer's shop? The source, speakers, cables, room, etc. will all be different than my own.

If I like what I hear, how do I know that what I'm hearing is the influence of the amplifier?
  • mdaudioguy

Cambridge actually suggested similar and recommend that I visit a local authorized dealer.

Aside from the fact that I don't care for this particular dealer based on my previous experiences with them, how can you accurately judge a piece of equipment such as an amplifier at a dealer's shop? The source, speakers, cables, room, etc. will all be different than my own.

If I like what I hear, how do I know that what I'm hearing is the influence of the amplifier?
    Good point. I got lucky and found a friend with the amp I wanted and got to hear my speakers on it before buying.
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943

If you develop a relationship with the dealer, most likely they will let you take a demo home to try.
  • BlueFox
    edited December 2018
    Deleted. Wrong thread.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Clipdat
    joecoulson wrote: »
    If you develop a relationship with the dealer, most likely they will let you take a demo home to try.

I suppose you're right but with no tax, free shipping and 30-60 day evaluation period, so do Crutchfield, Audio Advisor, and Music Direct.
  • mdaudioguy
    joecoulson wrote: »

I suppose you're right but with no tax, free shipping and 30-60 day evaluation period, so do Crutchfield, Audio Advisor, and Music Direct.

Well, there you go! Gonna give it a shot?
  • Clipdat
    Well, there you go! Gonna give it a shot?

It's tempting, but no, not at this juncture.

I wonder how many things my Dayens Ampino Monoblocks have in their signal path. It might be less than 14. ;)
  • Clipdat
    Although this seems an awful lot like marketing hyperbole, it was still an interesting read: https://www.audioadvice.com/content/cambridge-edge-series-review/
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    Although this seems an awful lot like marketing hyperbole, it was still an interesting read: https://www.audioadvice.com/content/cambridge-edge-series-review/

you mean like this?
    All power amplifiers have transistors that reproduce each half of a musical waveform. Class A is technically the most perfect type of design as in Class A.

Umm, yeah, no. Whoever wrote those two lines doesn't understand Class A operating points or is pretty much incapable of accurate self-expression.
    This amp uses some sort of quasi-class A sliding bias (or dual bias) design. Such things were all the rage in the early 1980s (e.g., Technics "New Class A", and they sort of died out quietly thereafter.

Just sayin' :)

I did not know that Cambridge Audio used the first toroidal PT in audio, though.
  • Clipdat
    edited January 2019
    Yeah I think that line must've gotten past the editor. Awkward.