Favorite Christmas gifts

steveinaz
steveinaz Posts: 19,521
edited December 2018 in The Clubhouse
When you were a kid, what were some of your favorite gifts?

Mine was tie between my first 10-speed bike and a Lloyd's 8-track player with little speakers. I think that cheesy 8-track player launched my audio hobby. My first 8-track tape was Heart Dreamboat Annie.
Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2

Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    edited December 2018
    In retrospect, probably my Weltron "space helmet" style AM-FM 8 track, which would've been a Christmas present in 7th or maybe 8th grade. I logged many, many happy hours listening to that thing. Not sure what ever happened to it, unfortunately, it was nowhere to be found when we cleaned out my parents' house in 2010.

Knowing him, he probably pitched it.

The other thing he apparently sent packing was the (single) EICO HF-52 (mono pp EL34 integrated amplifier with top-drawer output iron and Mullard tubes) that got me started in hifi in my high school years.

Not that I'm bitter. ;)
  • Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,192
    edited December 2018
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,862
    i go way back, tonka metal toy dump truck.
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    edited December 2018
    Schwinn Lemon Peeler...
    1o9dt89dx3zl.jpeg
    Wish I still had it. After I outgrew it, it was stored in a shed at my grandma’s house and rusted so badly there was nothing left to save.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,310
    Chemistry Set or non-compound bow about 35 lb. pull. I was a nerd, but dangerous.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    Late December 1973,
    What a very special time for me,
    For Christmas we got to play hockey,
    What a game to play all night.

xj0bv7xd1gol.jpg
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    edited December 2018
    Schwinn Lemon Peeler...
    1o9dt89dx3zl.jpeg
    Wish I still had it. After I outgrew it, it was stored in a shed at my grandma’s house and rusted so badly there was nothing left to save.

Mine was just like this but purple I think and a lower model with less options.

I think I was 10 1/2 . I found it just now on the web.
    I delivered thousands of Washington Post newspapers on that bike in every kind of weather everyday. Sundays were a bit*$.

0bv1fgi49hjh.png
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    I had a Schwinn "Typhoon" when I was 7-8 yrs old.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • oldrocker
    oldrocker Posts: 2,590
    As a kid, new 10 speed Schwinn.

As a teen, Dad got me a "don't remember the brand" stereo, that I promptly followed up with my first LP purchase Twisted Sisters Stay Hungry. Ah youth :D

As an adult, my Daughter, a few days before Christmas but close enough <3

She was the BEST gift under the tree, in fact I think that was about all we had under the tree at that time :)
  • bikezappa
    bikezappa Posts: 2,463
    Lionel train set
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    edited December 2018
    Traxxas Revo 3.3 RC car.
    Found it used on CL with my dad, broken. Just one part he said.
    Stupid thing never did go correctly, but it was fun. And a money pit.
    We put like 4 engines into that thing, and they all blew up... one, by, one. But it was fun working on it, and when it ran, well... it was terrifying. ;) that thing flew down the road, and according to the manual could hit 60 MPH! Loud as heck too, you could hear it a mile away.
    I’ll see if I still have some pictures of it... if not I’ll ask my uncle (who, by the way, managed to get it running like a dream within five minutes of us giving it to him) to send some pics.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    I was a victim of that shifter on my Schwinn after I lost that shifter ball when it came loose and fell off and wouldn't stay back on. I went to pop a curb and hit it instead. I slid off the seat or whatever but I ended up in the hospital for stitches. It was a very close call and I was very lucky!!
    :D
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Among my favorites. Eldon 1/32 scale slot car race track! Stock pic.
    edwy5lyuk14v.png
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    Viking64 wrote: »
    Late December 1973,
    What a very special time for me,
    For Christmas we got to play hockey,
    What a game to play all night.

xj0bv7xd1gol.jpg

I had one of those too. Awesome fun firing a ball bearing around the rink!
  • Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,192
    Was I a nerdy kid or something? Everyone here got masculine gifts except me. I admit asking for a Six Million Dollar Man electric toothbrush one year, but they were sold out so my mom bought me a Bionic Woman toothbrush instead. I've always had very attractive white teeth.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    So I had to look it up. Hermit you were decades ahead of your time! :smile:
    mwaheqrp4tch.jpeg
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • One for me that stands out above the rest was an X-Games skateboard. That started an almost 10 year fascination with the sport. I'm sure my knees won't like me when i'm older but skateboarding gave me an outlet and confidence growing up. Taught me to not give up when pain hits.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    b5x117mw2j86.jpg
    Wish I still had it
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • b5x117mw2j86.jpg
    Wish I still had it

I was an American Flyer train guy.
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    Probably when my brother and I got a coomodore 64 with 2 joysticks, monitor, dot matrix printer, cassette drive and floppy drive.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    tonyb wrote: »
    I got a rock. :)

Actually, my favorite Christmas present was my first grandson, born on Christmas day.

When did you get your first bag of Redi-mix?
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902

Actually, my favorite Christmas present was my first grandson, born on Christmas day.

age 3, your never too early to learn how to take care of bully's in school. ;)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    Did you graduate to a regulation size bat at that age?
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850

They do have kid-size bags of Redi-mix and Sakrete for a reason.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    rpf65 wrote: »
    Did you graduate to a regulation size bat at that age?

Funny....Like every kid, I had those short bats like they give out at ball games. Only difference between my bat and the other kids was mine had nails in it at the end. :)

It's Christmas though gents, lets not derail the thread talking about childhood derelicts. :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922

shz1iyizql56.png
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    A pair of Bauer hockey skates, a Ithica 20 gauge, and a Mitchell spining reel. Were probably my best Xmas presents growing up.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,087
    edited December 2018
    Probably my first bike. Guessing 1962. I was a small seven year old that received a huge red 26"-28" boys Huffy bike. Needed to add training wheels. In a year they were gone and I was a terror. Best and closest photo I could find on-line. Tons of fun, several crashes...😃bo6fthgin3i5.jpg