Any info on a Velodyne S-1200-B / Servo-1200

pkquat
pkquat Posts: 742
I might be getting Velodyne S-1200-B as part of a package, although I am estimating it will cost me about $100. It's 1991 vintage. I am not sure if ti is worth it. I have heard people say they won't give up even their old Velodyne subs, and a mix of they are musical, and great, but some say the older ones were good for their time but not that great anymore.

It appears to be the bottom of their line at the time, but still a very good pricey sub in its day.

There is not much info online. Does anyone remember anything about these? Is it a good or at least fair deal even if I resell it? Is my money better saved for SVS, or HSU etc?

Manual
http://velodyneacoustics.com/pdf/servo/Servo-1200Manual.pdf

Review
http://www.hifi-classic.net/review/velodyne-servo-1200-22.html

There was not much else of value online.

Comments

• mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    edited November 2018
    For a hundred bucks I’d go for it. Or really anything that was relatively high end and servo controlled.
    My servo controlled Velodyne VA-907 outruns my main speakers. Not too deep, but it’s an 8” with a 10” passive in a smaller cabinet.
    And also, my VA-907 is “only” 85 watts, and it pounds out the bass notes. Doesn’t get deafening, but plenty loud for most music at most volumes.
    Is it a SVS? Well, I’d guess there are pluses and minuses to both. But I know mine will never leave.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    The F series were problematic, but that one should be fine and should outperform SVS and HSU.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• pkquat
    I wound up getting the sub. I am a little mixed about whether I should have gotten it and whether I paid to much. While the foam felt decent, it is nearly 30 years old, and didn't last long once the volume went up and of course I was just figuring out how to get it dialed in at the time.

I first tried it with some 5jr+ running full range, and adding the sub with its crossover via RCA. I could not get a good match, but I didn't try too long and wasn't super scientific about it. I am not sure if it was the passive or not. There was no 180° switch to swap the sub output. I swapped out the 5's for some 4A's. That was better, but there were still some nulls and blending issues. I wasn't sure where the crossover needed to be set. Once I started with some test tones at higher volumes, it was better. I was headed to roughly 40Hz or maybe lower to get the blend right. Then decided on a movie (just 2Ch) with some low stuff for some fun rumble. The super low rumble was not there, but the room was smaller and not ideal. The sub was active, but I don't think near its limits. It didn't make it through the opening of the Incredibles 2 before the foam went during mild rumbles and I shut it down.

I'll have to see how it is after the refoam for about ~$60. It was a little subdued below 30+Hz but that could be the room. The foam might also be the reason it sounded a little slow and more so once the volume went up. I am not sure how long it sat, but I think it had only been played at background levels for a while.
    F1nut wrote: »
    The F series were problematic, but that one should be fine and should outperform SVS and HSU.

Good to know. I saw a few issues about the F-series, but people seemed to think the F-series was better sounding or performing.

@F1nut I know there is musicality to consider, but a Velodyne this old with only a 100W amp will out perform the newer mid level SVS and HSU? Outperform where or how? Not questioning, just wondering. I know the others are better for HT, but I thought the sealed versions, and even the adjustable ported ones were still considered pretty musical and fast at medium volumes. With their longer travel and larger amps I would think they would be pretty controlled in the same volume range as the Velodyne.

• F1nut
    Consider that Velodyne can do with a 100 watt amp what the others require a 1000 watt to do.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,970
    edited December 2018
    Not so sure about this Jesse...

Wattage is a lot of times correlated to the enclosure size, look at Velodyne DD series as an example. 1250 watts continuous, 3000 peak. Mostly due to enclosure and dsp, have to make up for something somewhere.

The DD series is right there with SVS higher end models - but the OP model links are no where close to modern day SVS/HSU/etc, IMO
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • F1nut
    The DD series are servo subs, SVS and HSU are not.

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    Then we have the Rythmik F12SE servo sub with a 370 watt amp.

President of Club Polk

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,970
    All Im saying is that (in general) small box subwoofers usually have a super long throw woofer with a large amp to compensate for the small box.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • pkquat
    I got the speaker back from the refoam. It seems punchier and does go deeper. The old foam must have been providing a good deal of added resistance. IMO the output is good, but I don't think it would really make it for HT duty unless you had small speakers and this was filling in the bass.

I have been playing with it running RT5's and M4's full range from the amp, and pre-out to the sub. I turned the sub down to the lowest crossover point of 40Hz after playing some test tones. The blend is not perfect, but I think that worked the best. I was surprised I needed to move the crossover that low. I haven't tried running line level inputs and using the subs crossover for the mains. That may balance out better, take some load off the little speakers, and probably allow for greater volume. I'd need to find some generic lamp cord cable though. My motivation for that is low at the moment. Eventually I will give it a shot with an HT preamp with sub out and the Parasound P5. I think better control over the crossover and frequencies will help. With crossover that can go lower, it may pair will with more full range speakers and fill in the very bottom end.

With the current setup I would say it is musical. The timing seems right on and the bass is tight. It is a good blend for small speakers to fill in the bottom end at good listening levels. it does roll off pretty quick around 30Hz. It may be the room. At some point I will try it in a larger room. The combo of the small speakers with the sub seemed close to the RTA11's. The sub can add a bit more floor shake, but that may just be due to its weight, and the fact neither have spikes.

I don't think it will match the impact of today's higher watt subs, even those with a 12" driver. I would speculate that a good new sub would be able to maintain the control around the same volume level this is putting out, but dig deeper and provide the HT impact when needed. Newer subs can overpower a room down to 25Hz and lower. I think the Velodyne is struggling hard to do that, but that is not really what it was designed for.

I am pleased with it, and I think I can get what I put into it with the re-foam. I'll have to see if I dig into the crossover too. At 25 years old I am sure parts need to be replaced.