Any info on a Velodyne S-1200-B / Servo-1200

pkquatpkquat Posts: 604
I might be getting Velodyne S-1200-B as part of a package, although I am estimating it will cost me about $100. It's 1991 vintage. I am not sure if ti is worth it. I have heard people say they won't give up even their old Velodyne subs, and a mix of they are musical, and great, but some say the older ones were good for their time but not that great anymore.

It appears to be the bottom of their line at the time, but still a very good pricey sub in its day.

There is not much info online. Does anyone remember anything about these? Is it a good or at least fair deal even if I resell it? Is my money better saved for SVS, or HSU etc?

Manual
http://velodyneacoustics.com/pdf/servo/Servo-1200Manual.pdf

Review
http://www.hifi-classic.net/review/velodyne-servo-1200-22.html

There was not much else of value online.

Comments

• mlistens03mlistens03 Posts: 2,332
    edited November 30
    For a hundred bucks I’d go for it. Or really anything that was relatively high end and servo controlled.
    My servo controlled Velodyne VA-907 outruns my main speakers. Not too deep, but it’s an 8” with a 10” passive in a smaller cabinet.
    And also, my VA-907 is “only” 85 watts, and it pounds out the bass notes. Doesn’t get deafening, but plenty loud for most music at most volumes.
    Is it a SVS? Well, I’d guess there are pluses and minuses to both. But I know mine will never leave.
    Micah

Main system: Technics SL3200, Shure M97xE, Lafayette LR1100 for tuner, Hagerman Audio Labs Bugle 2 phono stage, NAD C352 integrated, Boston Acoustics VR 2, Boston PV500, generic ICs, and BJC Belden speaker cables.

Desktop: Dell Precision 690 running iTunes, Yamaha RX-v665, Monitor Audio R90s, Velodyne VA-907, generic ICs and speaker cables.
    I've always thought the goal of high-end audio was not to have your neighbors bang on the wall and say, 'Turn that darn music down' but to have your neighbors bang on the wall and say, 'Tell your friends to go home and you can practice later this week'.
  • F1nutF1nut Posts: 40,643
    The F series were problematic, but that one should be fine and should outperform SVS and HSU.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

• pkquatpkquat Posts: 604
    I wound up getting the sub. I am a little mixed about whether I should have gotten it and whether I paid to much. While the foam felt decent, it is nearly 30 years old, and didn't last long once the volume went up and of course I was just figuring out how to get it dialed in at the time.

I first tried it with some 5jr+ running full range, and adding the sub with its crossover via RCA. I could not get a good match, but I didn't try too long and wasn't super scientific about it. I am not sure if it was the passive or not. There was no 180° switch to swap the sub output. I swapped out the 5's for some 4A's. That was better, but there were still some nulls and blending issues. I wasn't sure where the crossover needed to be set. Once I started with some test tones at higher volumes, it was better. I was headed to roughly 40Hz or maybe lower to get the blend right. Then decided on a movie (just 2Ch) with some low stuff for some fun rumble. The super low rumble was not there, but the room was smaller and not ideal. The sub was active, but I don't think near its limits. It didn't make it through the opening of the Incredibles 2 before the foam went during mild rumbles and I shut it down.

I'll have to see how it is after the refoam for about ~$60. It was a little subdued below 30+Hz but that could be the room. The foam might also be the reason it sounded a little slow and more so once the volume went up. I am not sure how long it sat, but I think it had only been played at background levels for a while.
    F1nut wrote: »
    The F series were problematic, but that one should be fine and should outperform SVS and HSU.

Good to know. I saw a few issues about the F-series, but people seemed to think the F-series was better sounding or performing.

@F1nut I know there is musicality to consider, but a Velodyne this old with only a 100W amp will out perform the newer mid level SVS and HSU? Outperform where or how? Not questioning, just wondering. I know the others are better for HT, but I thought the sealed versions, and even the adjustable ported ones were still considered pretty musical and fast at medium volumes. With their longer travel and larger amps I would think they would be pretty controlled in the same volume range as the Velodyne.

Consider that Velodyne can do with a 100 watt amp what the others require a 1000 watt to do.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

• VR3VR3 Posts: 22,393
    edited December 15
    Not so sure about this Jesse...

Wattage is a lot of times correlated to the enclosure size, look at Velodyne DD series as an example. 1250 watts continuous, 3000 peak. Mostly due to enclosure and dsp, have to make up for something somewhere.

The DD series is right there with SVS higher end models - but the OP model links are no where close to modern day SVS/HSU/etc, IMO
    - Not Tom

Vr3Mods.com ///// Version3Audio.com

"No, that's silly talk. Dude, you can't possibly be this audio dumb so quit the act." - Doro
    The DD series are servo subs, SVS and HSU are not.

Then we have the Rythmik F12SE servo sub with a 370 watt amp.

• VR3VR3 Posts: 22,393
    All Im saying is that (in general) small box subwoofers usually have a super long throw woofer with a large amp to compensate for the small box.
    - Not Tom

Vr3Mods.com ///// Version3Audio.com

"No, that's silly talk. Dude, you can't possibly be this audio dumb so quit the act." - Doro