Interesting finds

I went up to Chicago for Thanksgiving this year and my mother found some albums in a closet that she wanted me to go through.

I’ll update this post as I go through what I brought back with me to St. Louis.

For right now, I found these two inserts to be pretty neat. I’m sure Doc Hardy would agree!

i2b57aczlpju.jpeg
6v2ft9r8o7ms.jpeg

There’s also a poster from Pink Floyd’s DSOTM but the album wasn’t there.
Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    Very cool Victor
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Very cool. Went record shopping myself today. Flea market in the north GA mountains. It was snowing too.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    My seal of approval :)

Somewhere along the line, I lost the pair of posters (wasn't it a pair? or was there just one? I don't remember any more!) in my German quad pressing of Dark Side of the Moon. Note that I am not insinuating anything ;)

The posters were different than the normal ones -- not sure if it was 'cause it was German, or 'cause it was quad (or both)... but they were different. I know I had it or them on the wall in college days... I should've been more careful with 'em :/

• SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    Kewl!

A record was overheard saying stop needling me.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    edited December 2018
    One of the records in the find is by Harry Belafonte and there’s a lot of distortion when I play it. Pretty much unlistenable. That’s the worst one I’ve listened to so far. I still have about 5 or 6 albums left to clean still. Some of the records are in very good shape, others have a lot of snaps, ticks, and pops. One of the records is brand new, still sealed.
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • joecoulson
    Even when I have what looks like a perfectly clean record off the okki nokki there are still some big pops and cracks sometimes. Not sure if that’s just lodged in dust or something wrong with the groove.
  • halo
    edited December 2018
    @mhardy6647 - Dark Side of the Moon poster:

kp4tgorbj55c.jpeg
    utak0g2vsmz0.jpeg
    Post edited by halo on
  • halo
    edited December 2018
    joecoulson wrote: »
    Even when I have what looks like a perfectly clean record off the okki nokki there are still some big pops and cracks sometimes. Not sure if that’s just lodged in dust or something wrong with the groove.

Oh, I was under the impression that the Okki Nokki got all that stuff out of your records. It drives me nuts to hear the pops and the ticks in the record(s) during playback. I use a squeaky clean record cleaning machine III along with Tergikleen mixed with distilled water for the wash and straight distilled water for the rinse. I’ve tried different brushes for the wash and rinse and it doesn’t seem to make any difference.

I’m happy to report that a few of the records are very quiet during playback thus far.
  • mhardy6647
    OK, then, the one I had was the close-cropped, blue one :)
    It has been a long time ago -- and it was the seventies. B)

09kwww18znl2.png

(borrowed image)
  • joecoulson
    halo wrote: »
    joecoulson wrote: »

Oh, I was under the impression that the Okki Nokki got all that stuff out of your records. It drives me nuts to hear the pops and the ticks in the record(s) during playback. I use a squeaky clean record cleaning machine III along with Tergikleen mixed with distilled water for the wash and straight distilled water for the rinse. I’ve tried different brushes for the wash and rinse and it doesn’t seem to make any difference.

I’m happy to report that a few of the records are very quiet during playback thus far.

Do they me wrong, it works like a treat on most all. But every now and then even a new record will have a pop on one area of one song. Few and far between but not sure what is the culprit.
  • halo
    edited December 2018
    Here’s a pretty cool record from the bunch:

HiFi/Stereo Review [Model 211]
    Stereo Test Record
    For Home and Laboratory Use
    Extra/ As a demonstration of the highest possible fidelity, this record includes a program of music recorded directly on the master with no intervening tape process
    cx3zfrj84hbh.jpeg
    87tmw7qr018t.jpeg

• halo
    I remember listening to these albums when I was just a kid...

uagvk6hgkas0.jpeg
    a0xr8e80o7tn.jpeg
    ey5kcfdzvk8x.jpeg
    nd76oovilwiu.jpeg
  • mhardy6647
    The original soundtrack 2001 we had (and I still have) sounded pretty lousy, unfortunately. How's your copy sound?

• halo
    edited December 2018
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    The original soundtrack 2001 we had (and I still have) sounded pretty lousy, unfortunately. How's your copy sound?

It sounds very “quiet.” I have the same orchestral music on other albums and it isn’t so “quiet.”

I really have to turn up the volume to hear the music and any of the details. I cleaned it before playing it. It’s not without pops and ticks.

• mhardy6647
    There was a pretty good 2001-inspired album in those days by Ormandy/Philadelphia and Bernstein/NY on Columbia (FWIW):

vwe0pde7y66w.png