Going 4k. Question

With the price down on 4k TVs I'm going for it. My question is: if the tv i buy is HDR capable do I also need a 4k player that has HDR? Or does that even matter?

Any suggestions for a 4k player that might also play DVD-Audio and or SACD? Budget is about $350.00

Thanks

Comments

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    HDR is the only option, as it somewhat future proofs you until the 8k sets come out in April. :p
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    I would say jump on a Sony 4k player, they can do dvd-a, and upscaleing is fantastic. Can't get Oppo anymore, so that's out.
  • CH46E
    CH46E Posts: 3,521
    So I don't necessarily have to find A4K player that quotes HDR?
  • FestYboy
    Any of the upper end units will support HDR
  • CH46E
    FestYboy wrote: »
    I would say jump on a Sony 4k player, they can do dvd-a, and upscaleing is fantastic. Can't get Oppo anymore, so that's out.

I've been eyeballing this one. Sony UBP-X800.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_158X800/Sony-UBP-X800.html
  • FestYboy
    It's what I have and there are NO complaints.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    Also consider there are currently multiple HDR formats including HDR10, Dolby Vision, and HDR10+, and possibly a couple more. It may be a good idea to wait for 2019 models of 4K Blu Ray players to come out to see what they're up to in terms of HDR. All of them improve dynamic range, but they are slightly different in how well they do so.

4K HDR content is also available for streaming from Amazon, Netflix, Vudu, etc. Some TV sets have the apps for those services built right in.
  • CH46E

Any chance it will play SACD? You did say it will do DVD Audio right?
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,084
    Ellyn wrote: »
    Also consider there are currently multiple HDR formats including HDR10, Dolby Vision, and HDR10+, and definitely a couple more that are in play It may be a good idea to wait for 2019 models of 4K Blu Ray players to come out to see what they're up to in terms of HDR. All of them improve dynamic range, but they are slightly different in how well they do so.

Fixed it for you
    HDR is up for grabs
    If you can wait, that's my recommendation. I totally get it if you cannot!!
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • CH46E
    The Video part of my Home Audio Video system is on a tighter budget than the Audio.

I am looking at a few TVs. The only features I am making sure to have is at least some form of HDR, 120 or higher refresh rate. Other than that just want a good picture.

Apps are not important as I dont run any audio out of the tv. All is done at the HTR or my current Samsung Blu Ray player.

Going for a 65 inch to replace my 1080p 60 inch. The 60 inch LG I have will go into the living room to replace my Mitsubishi 60 inch DLP. It a great TV, great picture in 1080p but I've had it for 9 years and replaced the bulb only once. But it's time to go. Maybe I'll put it on CL for $35.00 ;)

Thanks for the info guys.
  • FestYboy
    CH46E wrote: »

AFAIK, SACD is not part of it's equation :/
  • You may want to rethink the app part if you stream or want to stream from any of the popular apps. Many if not most of these apps are the sources that will push a 4k TV to its fullest. NetFlicks Streams HDR and Atmos, Vudu Does both HDR & Dobly Vison along with Atmos. So you will have more opportunities to view things in full 4k if you pick a set with apps. TCL is the best bang for the buck from a cost factor, then Vizio after that you jump into the 1k and above range and see the regular players (LG, Samsung, Sony..etc…).
    Family Room HT 7.2/i]:Vizio Oled55h1 Pioneer Elite SC-LX502 Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD Eversolo DMP A6 Panamax M5300-EXSpeakers Fronts Fluance XF8L Center Polk Audio S35 Side Surrounds Optimus LS30's Rear Surrounds Optimus LS30's Subs SVS PB4000 x2 Living room 2ch: Crown Xli 1500 amp Teac EQ MKII FX Audio X6 Mk II DAC Squeezebox Touch Fluance Signature Tower Speakers Panamax M5100-EXOffice media room:Vizio M50Q6 50" Pioneer Elite VSX LX103 Squeezebox Touch Polkaudio R50 Towers Polkaudio CS 10 Panamax M4300 Monoprice 12" subMaster bedroom:Vizio M55Q7 Pioneer Elite VSX LX302 Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD Squeezebox Touch Polk audio RTi 6 fronts, Rears Dayton B652 Polk Audio CS10 center Monoprice 12" sub Panamax M5300-EX
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    I love both my Sony 4K TVs and the Oppo 203 disk player on each one. Don’t use my TV gear for music.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    Pretty sure the only 4K player that plays both dvd-a and Sacd is the Pioneer lx-500, but that’s a $1k player.
  • Thorton
    Thorton Posts: 1,324

The X800 plays DVD-Audio and SACD. So far, it's been a fantastic unit for me.
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________
    Ethernet Filter: GigaFOILv4 with Keces P3 LPS
    Source: Roon via ethernet to DAC interface
    DAC: Bricasti M1SE
    Pre/Pro: Marantz AV8805
    Tube Preamp Buffer: Tortuga TPB.V1
    Amp1: Nord One NC1200DM Signature, Amp2: W4S MC-5, AMP3: W4S MMC-7
    Front: Salk SoundScape 8's, Center: Salk SoundScape C7
    Surround: Polk FXIA6, Surround Back: Polk RTIA9, Atmos: Polk 70-RT
    Subs: 2 - Rythmik F25's
    IC & Speaker Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, Signal Cable
    Power Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, PS Audio
    Room Treatments: GIK Acoustics
  • CH46E
    rpf65 wrote: »
    Pretty sure the only 4K player that plays both dvd-a and Sacd is the Pioneer lx-500, but that’s a $1k player.

I would love that Elite LX-500. But I dont have that kind of coin laying around.
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    I’ll be getting Panasonic 820, only $500. Want it strictly for movies and it plays HDR, HDR10+; and DV.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    rpf65 wrote: »

I would love that Elite LX-500. But I dont have that kind of coin laying around.

That Pioneer looks sweet. Does anyone know how it compares to the Oppo UDP205?
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • CH46E
    Thorton wrote: »

Really? Are you sure it plays SACD? Does it have to be digital out? I'd rather my Yamaha Aventage 1050 do the DAC duties.

Thanks man!!!
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Sony UBP-X700 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Player no DVD-A though I don't think. Buck Fiddy, sometimes
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    I'm holding out for 24K.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,825
    steveinaz wrote: »
    I'm holding out for 24K.

I know, right? Where will it end...
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • Thorton
    Thorton Posts: 1,324
    Thorton wrote: »

Really? Are you sure it plays SACD? Does it have to be digital out? I'd rather my Yamaha Aventage 1050 do the DAC duties.

Thanks man!!!

From the manual:
    ch44vxz9o5ws.png
    j4up3y94pji3.png

Through HDMI Audio out. Your Yamaha will do the conversion from digital to analog. It works with my Marantz.
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________
    Ethernet Filter: GigaFOILv4 with Keces P3 LPS
    Source: Roon via ethernet to DAC interface
    DAC: Bricasti M1SE
    Pre/Pro: Marantz AV8805
    Tube Preamp Buffer: Tortuga TPB.V1
    Amp1: Nord One NC1200DM Signature, Amp2: W4S MC-5, AMP3: W4S MMC-7
    Front: Salk SoundScape 8's, Center: Salk SoundScape C7
    Surround: Polk FXIA6, Surround Back: Polk RTIA9, Atmos: Polk 70-RT
    Subs: 2 - Rythmik F25's
    IC & Speaker Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, Signal Cable
    Power Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, PS Audio
    Room Treatments: GIK Acoustics