Tango Spinner Review

So when I purchased the Rega Planar 2 last week, one of the things I did was search upgrades.
Tango Spinner was one of them that came up. I did some research on the sonic benefits of the new plinth and multiple belts on the pulley.
I received the shipment from Buenos Aires AR this morning.
I will be updating this thread with the unboxing, installation and review over the next few hours.

Comments

• joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    edited December 2018
    Ok. So got the package from Fedex and it was a square box shipped in a plastic shipping envelope.
    The contents inside were very well wrapped.

zvn63q6wyhxv.jpeg
    aryf9puutkha.jpeg
    acsdbnm8j4ft.jpeg

What you see there is:
    The new Spindle, two silicone belts, a new bearing, new pulley, record weight and washer.

All of these were wrapped in plastic inside the bubble wrap and well protected. After unwrapping the plastic and laying out, the fit and finish on these parts are stellar!!

33r3yvos69g1.jpeg
    gmt97mnpidfx.jpeg

I had to prep for the new parts by doing the following, I removed the stick spindle by pulling up slowly and lifting out of the hub. I then used a straw to “grab” the old bearing inside the sleeve

jkkbw0s927ig.jpeg

Then I used two spoons to get under the stick pulley to create leverage and pry it off. Apparently Rega uses glue to secure these. This was easy and I had no issues.

vdrb1wg720xg.jpeg

Now all set for new parts

7jdnk3hfk721.jpeg

First I removed the bottom motor cover so I could create back pressure on the motor while pushing on the new pulley.

jdbkuvxbcrdx.jpeg

Then I took some synthetic motor oil and put just a smidge on the new bearing and dropped it in the sleeve. Then took the same oil between my fingers and wiped on the stem of the spindle and proceeded to mount the spindle into the sleeve.
    Lastly put the two belts around the spindle and pulley

hkcjvlu7mjbx.jpeg

After verifying all is in place and no issues I turned on the motor without the platter to make sure there was free spinning and nothing out of place. And voila!! Looks awesome!

a2hxzaw226q9.jpeg
    36bd2fs9mnbi.jpeg
    fieaeasf0zvk.jpeg

Now I am going to start listening to some LP’s now to see if I hear some of the differences that others have heard although admittedly this deck is decently new to me so not sure how much I’ll be able to tell. But confident in other reviews about the benefits of this upgrade.

Shout out to Gus with Tango Spinner as not only was he super helpful, but offered me a free upgrade to the brass pulley AND shipped it priority! Great company to deal with down south of the equator.

Thanks for reading!

• joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Amazing. Even not knowing this table for long, I am familiar enough with the noise floor. Which just went down dramatically. Listening to Eric Bibb which is just vocal and acoustic guitar. Stunning black behind the music.
    If you have a Rega, I strongly suggest you do this.
  • Very nice write up! Great looking table!
    See my profile for list of gear.
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    That TT is a beauty enjoy it, let us know how the Tango Spinner is working for you once you get some time with it.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)