Parasound HCA 1500A amp and PLD 1500 preamp vs Yamaha A-S801 integrated

I recently moved and have less space for my current 2-channel system:

Parasound HCA 1500A amp
Parasound P/LD 1500 preamp
Rotel RCC 1055 CD player
Polk SDA 2B TL speakers

I was thinking of going the integrated amp route and getting a new Yamaha A-S801 integrated amp, which gets a lot of great reviews (including on this site).

Would the Yamaha integrated be a step down in sound quality from the Parasound separates? I know the Yamaha integrated has 100watts compared to Parasound's 205watts but, prior to the Parasound, I also had the Polk SDAs driven by a vintage Yamaha CR 2020 receiver (100 watts) and there was plenty of power to drive the SDAs and the sound was excellent.The new integrated also has the advantage of having a built-in DAC and all of the modern digital capabalities.

While space is a concern, sound quality is a priority and I do not want to get the Yamaha integrated if it will be a step down in sound quality from the Parasound.

Any thoughts? Has anyone compared the Parasound 1500A vs Yamaha A-S801 integrated?

Thanks.

Comments

• Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,908
    edited December 2018
    Yea if he decides he doesn't want it (HCA1500), let me know if and when you sell it.

2nd in line.
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited December 2018

I would stay with the separates. Or step up in the intergrated choice.
    Post edited by motorhead43026 on
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited December 2018
    Now my Anthem 225 intergrated, will drive my 2B's with ease. As does my Hca-1500 with my P5 pre. Yet I prefer the Anthem hands down.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

• mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    The Yamaha integrateds down to the S-A500 look nice, and so do their spec sheets. Without having heard them, I’d say they are probably a good choice, especially at the price point.
    But I’d stick with seperates.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    I would temper your expectations. Not just because it's an integrated, but different sound signatures between the Yamaha and Parasound gear.

I would imagine the Yamaha will have more detail in the sound, but not as weighty as the Parasound and sound stage may be a bit narrower.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • pglbook
    pglbook Posts: 2,163
    tonyb wrote: »
    I would temper your expectations. Not just because it's an integrated, but different sound signatures between the Yamaha and Parasound gear.

I would imagine the Yamaha will have more detail in the sound, but not as weighty as the Parasound and sound stage may be a bit narrower.

Thanks. The consensus so far seems to be that the Parasound separates would be a better choice than the Yamaha integrated. Do you agree?

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    I think you'd be pleased with the Yamaha. As noted, it gets great reviews.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    Just a thought... If you decide to go with the Yamaha, maybe give them a call to check if it is common ground before you buy it and blow it and your speakers up. I doubt that it is non-common ground, but it is something worth checking. :)
  • tonyb
    pglbook wrote: »

Thanks. The consensus so far seems to be that the Parasound separates would be a better choice than the Yamaha integrated. Do you agree?

Better is only relative to the listener. Like F1NUT said, some like it a lot. For me, I've never heard a Yamaha product I could live with for music. Maybe their older vintage receivers.

What you may find, is not necessarily a better or worse sound, but a different sound. That different sound may float your boat, or not. Sometimes we construe more detail in the sound as better, but also sometimes after a while we long for that little bit less detailed but more musical sound. Different strokes and all that.

Your best bet is to try and get an ear on one, or look up reviews from people with similar associated gear. Sometimes reading the bad reviews too gives you some insight to the sound. In the world of reviews, you have to learn how to discern the knuckleheads from the true audio guys, so take things with a grain of salt.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • I am a knucklehead.

• tonyb
    I should note, if I was in your shoes, going from separates to an integrated, no doubt in my mind that tubes would have to be involved. The Mac and the Carver in the other thread are perfect examples. Yeah, a bit pricey maybe, but those are integrateds that can last a life time.

Cheaper.....look at some Musical fidelity offerings on the used markets. Otherwise, I'd strongly suggest an integrated with tubes, be it used or new, if you want better sound over what you have now.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    Accessories 4 less just sold put of that Yamaha for $649.
    Question is the built in dac important? Besides what has been mentioned, I would also throw nad c368 in the ring as well.
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • I have an A-S501 paired with some 703s in my home office and have been impressed with this integrated. For the room it’s plenty of power. I have heard good things about 801.

Have you considered a used Parasound Integrated. Built in DAC and 160 WPC.
    Living Room
    Parasound HINT 6, Yamaha Aventage RX-A 1060, Yamaha BD-S681, Cambridge Audio Azur 851N, Polk S60, Polk S30, Samsung 60" LED

Office
    Cambridge Audio 851A, Auralic Aries Mini, LSiM 703s

Douglas Connection ICs and Cables
  • pglbook
    erniejade wrote: »
    Accessories 4 less just sold put of that Yamaha for $649.
    Question is the built in dac important? Besides what has been mentioned, I would also throw nad c368 in the ring as well.

Thanks. Accessories 4 less had a factory refurbished model. The lowest price I have seen the Yamaha A-S801 sell for new is at Amazon, which had it for $813 a few days ago. Normally it sells for $899.
  • pglbook
    edited December 2018

Better is only relative to the listener. Like F1NUT said, some like it a lot. For me, I've never heard a Yamaha product I could live with for music. Maybe their older vintage receivers.

Tony: Thanks for all of your feedback and insights. Do you thing the Yamaha A-S801 integrated would have the same kind of sound as the CR 2020 I had. I liked the looks and sound of that one a lot.
  • I’ve had the 801 on lsim 705s for a couple of years...it’s an awesome amp. Sold it this past summer, cause I was moved the 705s to the HT, and but if when I need another two channel amp I would strongly consider buying another. The USB DAC in it is absolutely fantastic, phono is good enough, otherwise the balance of the amp, clarity, upper and lower details are nearly perfect imo. Sounded great with everything I threw at it.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • tonyb

Tony: Thanks for all of your feedback and insights. Do you thing the Yamaha A-S801 integrated would have the same kind of sound as the CR 2020 I had. I liked the looks and sound of that one a lot.

I doubt it, but I haven't heard the newer Yamaha int. like the 501 or 801. Again, depends on your preferences. Ears I trust say they are really good, but from personal experiences, a different sound isn't always better or worse, just more appealing, or not, to the listener.

Buy it, see what the return policy is, this audio thing is trial and error anyway.

My comments just reflect my own experiences with my ears. I find that the more detailed sound some newer pieces project, also lacks some weight and tone to the sound. This can be overcome with a good dac, the addition of tubes to your system, etc.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's