Affordable Tube Amp

So I'm about to take delivery on some 96db speakers and figure I could use a lower watt tube amp with them. Any recommendations on a lower cost unit that is good. Thinking of less that $500 if that is even possible. Thanks!

Comments

• tonyp063
    tonyp063 Posts: 1,044
    At that price you will probably be looking at a Chinese option like a Yaqin, Douk or Nobsound.
    They can sound quite nice for the price, albeit hit or miss on the quality.

I have one running el34s in class A for my office setup. Not too crufty at all, to be honest.
  • factorz
    factorz Posts: 353
    Yeah I figured that would be the case. I had owned a Yaqin back in the day and like, but didn't see they made anything other than integrated amps.
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,862
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    Totally possible -- the other option is to go quasi-Chinese (i.e., a Chinese brand with a US presence): I am specifically thinking of Jolida, and specifically of this 'entry level' EL84 push-pull amplifier. Enough power (albeit perhaps just enough ;) ) for an easy load @ 96 dB SPL/1 watt/1 meter sensitivity.

irk06xbqv7ar.png

Jolida, as such, is a very US-based (though very small) company which has been in this business for a long time, especially by "ChiFi" standards. There was some ugliness years back between this Jolida and a Chinese-based company claiming true ownership of the name and product lines... but that has long since blown over AFAIK.

MD wants 700 smackers for one.
    https://www.musicdirect.com/integrated-amp/jolida-fx10-integrated-tube-amp?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIupDHhomJ3wIVAlcNCh1czA0sEAQYASABEgIHlvD_BwE

Now, here's the thing. I've owned a lot of vacuum tube hifi amplifiers, and have heard many, many more. I have yet to hear a bad sounding EL84 amplifier, push-pull or single-ended. They're just nice amplifiers. Very pleasant to listen to. Indeed, I've lived long term with push-pull EL84 amplification several times in my life, and happily so. :)

The nice thing about the Jolida is that you have someplace to turn to if you ever have any problems.

Pity about those dorky blue LEDs under the tubes though! :p

• mhardy6647
    edited December 2018
    Two other things I want to "say" :|

1) Just because a loudspeaker has 96 dB sensitivity doesn't necessarily make it, a priori, either "vacuum tube friendly" nor "easy to drive". Depends on the impedance curve (frequency-dependent impedance curve and the phase angle curve).

Which 96 dB speakers are you getting, if you don't mind sharing?

2) The other cost-effective options for inexpensive amplifiers of good quality can be used/vintage or kit built. The former option is great if the amp is fairly new and/or has been restored, but the cheap options usually need work. Not a big problem for a DIYer, but a significant expense if one has to pay someone to do it.

The kit option is great if and only if one wishes to do it.
    The easiest to build kit that would give excellent results with 'typical' loudspeakers, in my not-at-all humble opinion would be this:

https://www.dynakitparts.com/shop/st-35-kit-120-vac/

This is a power amplifier (i.e., a preamp, active or passive, is almost absolutely required for most users!) and still a little over-budget, but these are no kidding around excellent amplifiers, based on (arguably) the "real", original Dynaco's best-ever amplifier (the ST-35).

ypq8a05f02aj.png
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Two other things I want to "say" :|

1) Just because a loudspeaker has 96 dB sensitivity doesn't necessarily make it, a priori, either "vacuum tube friendly" nor "easy to drive". Depends on the impedance curve (frequency-dependent impedance curve and the phase angle curve).

This is true. My Legacy's were 95 efficient, but still needed some good current to bring that dynamic swing out in them to it's full potential.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mhardy6647
    It's not all about that bass, but it is all about that impedance curve :p
  • factorz
    Thanks for the feedback. The speakers in question are Tekton Lore Reference.
  • mhardy6647
    factorz wrote: »
    Thanks for the feedback. The speakers in question are Tekton Lore Reference.

Should be easy-peasy.
  • SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,491
    How many people looked at that dynakit pic and wanted to start modding it.
    :#
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • mhardy6647
    edited December 2018
    Heathkit AA32 is a decent quality entry level amplifier. PP 6GW8 for about 8 watts per channel (very similar to PP 6BM8,another popular 'entry level' amplifier tube near the end of the vacuum tube era).

The 6GW8 and the 6BM8 were 'dual purpose' tubes -- a pentode that could be used as driver or phase splitter and a power output tube in the same bottle. :) This enabled a stereo push-pull amplifier with as few as four physical tubes (doing the work of eight) -- a bean-counter's dream! Nothing wrong with either tube, though, for hifi. Indeed, to this day some folks in Japan are quite enamored of the 6BM8 (push pull or single ended). Neither the 6GW8 nor the 6BM8 is available as a current production tube, AFAIK, and I think stocks of NOS tubes may be limited (i.e., replacement tubes may be pretty expensive).

The worst thing about the AA32 is that the original paint tends to slough off of their (aluminum) cabinets and chassis. :|

32514545741_a833ac7bab_h.jpgHeathkit 1964 p17 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

Is the one @tonyp063 linked to restored? It should be for that price (even in Canucki dollas). ;)

Here's an old photo of mine (FWIW):

24365491607_a0964fcaf6_b.jpgAA32 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

One thing I don't like about many of the 1960s Heathkit vaccum tube amps (and the original Dynaco ST-35 & ST-70, for that matter) is the use of printed circuit boards. The old phenolic boards, under the ravages of heat and time, have not aged well :( There are improved aftermarket boards available for the old Dynacos --- but not (AFAIK) for the old Heathkits.

CAVEAT: I must say that it's been a long time since I popped the top on an AA-32. The AA-32, I think is actually point to point wired (now that I am thinking about it)! :)
  • tonyp063
    tonyp063 Posts: 1,044
    @mhardy6647 , the seller has links to high resolution photos in his ad.
    Point to point wiring & it looks nicely restored to me
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,476
    Jolida was announcing that their new name was going to be Black Ice at Axpona so thay might be something to look for.
  • mhardy6647
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Jolida was announcing that their new name was going to be Black Ice at Axpona so thay might be something to look for.

derp -- did not know that!
    Thanks.
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    Tube preamp and SS amp?
  • mhardy6647
    edited December 2018

gxyk2zf2c2y0.png

Lots of amplifier for the $.
    If you can do what you want to do @ 5 wpc*, this amplifier should do quite nicely.

Otherwise, it would make a heck of a treble amplifier in a biamplified system :)

• mhardy6647
    Here's a link to the "mods" that were (presumably) made to this amplifier, based on the seller's description.

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/magnavox-flea-power-getting-more-out-of-the-8600-series-a-lot-more.665735/

Now, I haven't heard a Maggotbox SE EL84 console amp thus modified, and I note that the amp in the CL ad has new OPTs, so I cannot vouch that it'll still have the magic that the almost embarrassingly simple and cheaply made Maggotbox console amps have -- but it's clearly been carefully and diligently modified, using good quality parts. For the $, it seems like a very reasonable risk :)
  • mhardy6647
    Affordable Bottleheads are going to be squarely in the fleapower category.
    A used Stereomour or a pair o' Paramours would be dandy from a sonic perspective, though.

Did I not mention 'em earlier? Doesn't look like I did -- probably thinkin' 3.5-ish wpc was cuttin' it a little fine for most normal folks :)

35012452392_ae479f19ec_h.jpgDSC_8376 (2) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
    (Marky's Paramours)
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,862
    oddwatt has some kits
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    I have one I've been thinking about selling, but, it would come in a bit more than your price.
    xscny8p8rlma.jpg

It's had a bias pot added on the rear panel along with an rca jack and plug for multimeter to check/adjust. Link to some info:
    http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/introducing-the-new-hercules-power-amp-from-audio-electronics-by-cary-audio/
  • vcwatkins
    vcwatkins Posts: 1,993
    Any opinions on Elekit?

This Elekit TU-8200 Stereo Tube Amplifier Kit is $699, but I have no experience with the brand. I've sorta had my eye on this TU-8600 300B SE for my first stab at a 300b and would welcome any thoughts on the brand in general or either of those kits.
    Beach Audio: Rega RP6 (mods) - AT33PTG/II - Parks Budgie SUT - PSAudio NPC * Eversolo DMP-A6 * Schiit Yggy * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Pass Aleph 30 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl (mods) * PSAudio PPP3
    Beach Study: Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra & Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * DH Labs SS Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354 * PSA Dectet
    Beach Master: WiiM Pro * Dayens Menuetto * Zu Libtec * Dynaudio Audience 50
    Beach Den: Bluesound Powernode 2i * DH Labs SS Q10 * Zu Omen DWII * Richard Gray RGPC
    Town Study: WiiM Pro * Chord Qute (Pardo) * Elekit TU-8600 * MIT S3 * Revel M22 * Beyer DT-990 * Shunyata Hydra 2
    Town Den: Music Hall mm5.1se - Denon DL-103r - Jolida JD9ii (mods) * WiiM Pro * Cary xCiter * Rogue 99 Magnum * Schiit Aegir * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2tl (mods) * Dectet * Bottlehead Crack - Senn 600
    Town Porch: WiiM Pro Plus * Sunfire Sig II * Canare 4S11 * Magnepan 1.6 * Dectet
  • mhardy6647
    edited December 2018
    The Elekit kits get good press. No actual experience, though. Personally, I wouldn't hesitate to try one if there were a model that fit my interests ("needs" :p ) and budget.

it is, in some ways, unfortunate that they use PC boards rather than point to point wiring -- but it certainly makes them easier to assemble and it's not like it's a deal killer or anything!

I just prefer the long-term robustness of point to point construction and there's just something about forcing the signal to travel on them little flat traces on a PCB that seems kind of unfortunate, you know? :/
  • stretchl
    stretchl Posts: 1,334
    @factorz I have a Yaqin Mc-10t integrated, purchased here on the forum a few years ago, that I've been considering selling. It was my first tube amp and though it's amazing my recent acquisition of a Joule Electra LA-100 Mark 3 makes the Yaqin not suitable for my current set up.

The only reason I've not offered it for sale already is that I didn't want the hassle of listing it and I've been telling myself I might put it back into the system at some point. But the JE is just so marvelous, I'm beginning to accept the fact that I'll never not want to use it. Let me know if you have any interest.
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'
    - Isaac Asimov

Hi-Fi
    Apple Lossless --> Squeezebox Touch --> Joule Electra LA-100 Mark iii --> Odyssey Khartargo Mono Plus --> LSiM-705's
    Cabling by Groneberg
    Visuals
    https://media.illinois.edu/journalism/ledford-charles-stretch
    bit.ly/stretchonphotojournalism
    http://Vimeo.com/channels/stretchphoto
  • factorz
    edited December 2018
    Funny thing is when I owned a Yaqin before I bought it from the guy that started Silk Audio. Really nice guy who went above and beyond with his customer service. Not sure if he is still in business.

Thanks everyone who offered advice and even items to try. Right now I'm running a PS Audio Sprout 100 so a integrated wouldn't work. The sprout has a preamp out which is why I was thinking a tube amp. Looks like I need to up my budget to get something worthwhile so I think I'll just enjoy the speakers for now and keep saving.
    Post edited by factorz on
  • It looks like Ray from Silk Audio is the one that's selling it on eBay. Great sounding amp for not a lot of money.
    SDA SRS 1.2TL's
    SDA 1C's w/Clarity Cap ESA; PA, Mills, RD0194-1's
    SDA 2B TL's w/RD0198-1's
    Yaqin MC-30L integrated tube amp
    Yaqin MS-20L integrated tube amp
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,476
    Funny thing is when I owned a Yaqin before I bought it from the guy that started Silk Audio. Really nice guy who went above and beyond with his customer service. Not sure if he is still in business.

Ray was a great guy. I bought my Yaqin 6sn7 buffer from him. I have wondered the same i do not see much out there from like like before but that is him in the auction. Looks like he moved from Chicago area to the Oklahoma side.