Breville USA

Comments

• stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,179
    I would recommend regardless of what you go with, getting a calibrated tamper. I have the espro which is expensive at 100 bucks but well worth it. There is an internal spring that gives way at 30 pounds of pressure, so the tanp is consistent every time. Then your are down to two variables, and it greatly assists in consistently pulling great shots. I dialed in the grind with my preferred beans and there is no thinking involved anymore! Pulls great shots every morning

2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • stangman67
    edited December 2018
    This is the tamper I am talking about. It makes the stock tamper that comes with the Breville seem like a kids toy, it is robust and very nice to use

https://www.seattlecoffeegear.com/espro-calibrated-tamper?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIgMD-rpKC3wIVjlqGCh0khwauEAAYAiAAEgIoB_D_BwE

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,490
    Thanks. I had no idea such things existed. It looks like consistency is very important.
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Clipdat wrote: »
    I freaking love espresso! I've had some shots made by expert baristas at local cafes, and it's been an incredible experience.

Sometimes I have to immediately get back in line and have them make me another, they're that good.

Espresso as is, without milk or sugar, is coffee in it's purest form in my opinion.

For me, an espresso with a twist of lemon is the best. Nothing better after a great meal.
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    stangman67 wrote: »
    I would recommend regardless of what you go with, getting a calibrated tamper. I have the espro which is expensive at 100 bucks but well worth it. There is an internal spring that gives way at 30 pounds of pressure, so the tanp is consistent every time. Then your are down to two variables, and it greatly assists in consistently pulling great shots. I dialed in the grind with my preferred beans and there is no thinking involved anymore! Pulls great shots every morning

Ppffft! But have you upgraded the power cable?
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    joecoulson wrote: »
    Clipdat wrote: »
    I freaking love espresso! I've had some shots made by expert baristas at local cafes, and it's been an incredible experience.

Sometimes I have to immediately get back in line and have them make me another, they're that good.

Espresso as is, without milk or sugar, is coffee in it's purest form in my opinion.

For me, an espresso with a twist of lemon is the best. Nothing better after a great meal.

That's how my wife drinks it, with a twist of lemon.

Here's the jist as I see it anyway. A manual machine will probably give you the best quality shot, period. However, to extract that from a manual machine takes some skill as there is many variables that go into making a quality shot. There is a learning curve, and not everyone is up to it.

If your the only espresso drinker in the house, that might work for you. If you have more, and guests who also enjoy it, your strapped to the machine making everyone coffee, and then the refills when they want more because your the only one skilled enough to make it.

If you have multiple drinkers, and entertain often, a fully automatic one touch machine is probably more up your alley. That way anyone can just press a button and get espresso, or other milk foamed drinks whenever they want without you having to look over their shoulder or do it yourself.

Pick your poison to accommodate your lifestyle. Each has it's pro's and cons.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • maxward
    Thanks, Tony. That’s good advice. I’m leaning to the semiautomatic machines because we don’t entertain often and there are few coffee drinkers. I’m retired and have time to climb the learning curve. I still check out Jura machines on CL, though.

In doing research, I’ve concluded that my grinder, a Bararza Virtuoso, is probably marginal for espresso because the adjustments are too coarse to dial in the grind. I followed up on an ad for a Baratza Vario, almost new and with both steel and ceramic burrs. It sounds like I lost the sale, but the seller works at Clive Coffee, a local seller of espresso machines and grinders. His advice was that I might be better off to not consider the heat exchanger machines and look at a small double boiler, the Profitec Pro 300. Not in the budget! However, I found a used Expobar Brewtus II on CL not too far from me for $800. It could be around 12 years old, but looks to be well taken care of. Anyone aware of problems with this machine?
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    Not sure I would get my money's worth out of this...

https://www.breville.com/us/en/products/wine-products/bwd600.html
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952

Yes the most decanting mine usually gets is while it’s going glug glug glug into the glass...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • Willow

Where does it get 90% oxygen from considering the air we breath is about 21%. I doubt it has a filter and it's not hooked up to an oxygen tank.
  • JayCee
    JayCee Posts: 1,474
    maxward wrote: »
    ...I found a used Expobar Brewtus II on CL not too far from me for $800. It could be around 12 years old, but looks to be well taken care of. Anyone aware of problems with this machine?

To your question...I don't know about that specific model but I'd be cautious of a 12 year old machine. Boiler and internal parts are key. Calcification would be my concern. I always use filtered water in my machines. Have repaired many over the years and prior to filtering/regular de calcifying could see what calcium/minerals do to the internals. Parts are usually expensive on these machines.

I started my "better" coffee journey w/a Jura F7, loved it, and started roasting my own beans because I couldn't find a good fresh source when I lived in northern TX. I dabbled in home brewing years before and found roasting is MUCH easier but gives the same satisfaction trying different origin beans and roast profiles. There is a learning curve!

My roaster: Gene Cafe https://genecafeusa.com/
    Purchase Beans from: https://www.sweetmarias.com/ (SM)

1 lb of beans from SM's averages $6-7. On par, and often cheaper, than many commercial roasts. I roast 1/2 lb approx every 5-7 days and it takes 15 minutes. Minimum 24 hrs of rest and it's goodness.

Outgrew my Jura and was on a quest for better (sound like this audio rabbit hole we're posting on?). Like w/Polk Audio, I look for $$$ vs. value and products that are priced below a higher performance level. Upped my game by roasting so decided it was worth the move to a full on espresso machine.

After much research I kept coming back to the La Speziale Vivaldi II:
    https://www.chriscoffee.com/S1-Vivaldi-II-p/vivaldi-ii.htm

Purchased from Chris's coffee, the US importer, but also looked at Clive's. Paired it with a Fiorenzato F4E Nano grinder (Version 1):
    https://www.chriscoffee.com/fiorenzato-f4e-nano-p/f4ev2.htm

Both, the Vivaldi and Nano, IMO...and many other folks, compete w/the bigger known (ie...more expensive) names.

Read a lot on pulling a perfect shot and you'll find the experts say it starts w/the grind. Spend the $$$ on a very good grinder and then follow w/a good machine. Pulling a shot is tough....but only takes practice.

My daily habit: 15 gram dose in a triple bottomless portafilter, 2 oz shot timed to 25-30 seconds (28 is the goal), added to 2 oz's of water for a very stiff Americano. Twice each morning. Took my wife a bit to get the hang of it and she drinks a 2 oz shot added to 6 oz's of H20. I don't do milk in my coffee but she does. I can't froth to save my life but she can nail a good cappuccino.

@tonyb is spot on w/his recommendation on superautomatic vs pulling shots and having guests. Also, lots of good advice above from the guys that do as I do.

Good beans (roast) + good grind + good machine + good skills = PERFECTION

:smile::smiley::wink:

p.s. My dad has a superautomatic and I got him into roasting with this Xmas present several years ago:
    https://www.sweetmarias.com/fresh-roast-sr500.html

Great entry level roaster and will up anyone's coffee game even they you don't go big on a machine. Psst, don't tell my son....getting him the Fresh Roast for Xmas. Gifted him the Jura F5 as a hand me down 2 years ago. Roasting has been fun sharing with my dad and now my son.
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • joecoulson
    LOL, Drew

Jay, looks like you are much more experienced at the whole thing than me, but I can agree 100% with what I do understand.

No to derail so much further, but back to Breville - their machines are very forgiving. For anyone getting into the next steps of coffee and find that brewing is missing something, they are a great gateway machine. I take Illy preground and can get almost 3/4" of crema or I use the grinder on Illy beans and get 1" both taste amazing

steaming and frothing milk took training from someone when I worked at a restaurant earlier in my life, people try and fail at that without a few tribal secrets. Again, the Breville I have makes great consistent steam to froth even 1 % milk

Never thought about roasting, but I think I have enough hobbies :)
  • maxward
    Jay, thanks so much. I’m about to dive into another rabbit hole. I don’t want to buy a money pit. Love Americanos, but don’t get to the good outlets since I retired. I’m also a home roaster (see an earlier post). I started with a Freshroast and now use a Behmor. I also co-own an eight-pound roaster from RK Drums which uses a Weber gas grill. I don’t like the guesswork involved in the roasting, but it’s an excuse to get together with former coworkers every few weeks and it doesn’t involve spending time in a pub. After I check out the information in your post, I’m going to visit Clive Coffee soon to hear the pitch from the guy who sold the Vario on CL.
  • JayCee
    JayCee Posts: 1,474
    edited December 2018
    I was very close to buying whichever Breville machine was available 2 or 3 years ago (can't remember model). I liked the tamping feature and was really concerned my wife wouldn't want 100% manual process. There were some reviews that questioned reliability. My former job was as an aircraft maintenance analyst and I did studies on parts/reliability, so I'm anal(ytical) when it comes to my own money. Discussed it with my wife and we both didn't mind the learning curve and becoming home schooled baristas. The rest is history. My original Jura was good...but the superautomatics don't compete in the same space as a dedicated machine. However, I believe the Breville's a good step in the right direction and most people would be happy with it.

Back to derailing...apologies to the OP. @maxward I almost purchased my La Spatziele from Clive. Ended up w/Chris's because they were East Coast and shipping was closer to Germany via USPS. I'm now in the Northwest and plan to stop by Clive's the next time in the Portland area. The Behmor was on my short list when I was roaster shopping. Seems to have a nice following. Co-owner of an 8 lb roaster?...wow!!! I have to admit...my roasts are never as consistent as I'd like...much to learn. Sweet Maria's has a new(er) website and I like the way they profile their beans. Example:

j4so9ugachqt.png

I enjoy beans that have body and berry/fruit/chocolate profiles. Was in San Antonio and a local roaster blew my mind w/my first Ethiopian Haraar. Had no idea coffee could have berry/fruit notes. Great guy that spent an afternoon w/me.

...end derail.

@Viking64 made you look, again, "TLDR" last year! LOL
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • maxward
    @JayCee, if you think that this is a huge derail, PM me and I’ll give you my contact info. I’m still considering Breville with all the satisfied owners here. The RK drum roasting method is pretty primitive, IMHO. A friend was gifted the drum (retail $400) and 4 of us chipped in to buy the motor to adapt it to a gas Weber, mine. No way to inspect during the roast, so it’s all about time, temperature and listening for the cracks. We’ve had hits and misses. I get beans from SM and Sonofresco in WA. If you get to Clive’s, you might also want to visit Mr. Green Beans on N. Mississippi, a really nice guy owns it. Thanks for your generous advice. Mike
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited December 2018
    wrong thread

2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    Im thinking about picking up a Breville Coffee maker. We currently use a Kurig and it makes fine coffee but I find it to be weak at times especially when I make a trade mug.
    I did some research and the Breville is rated very high including some good reviews about correct temperature and trip time.
    I'm in.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • Mikey081057
    edited December 2018
    So I received my upgraded replacement unit today. The new unit called 'Grind Control" has nicer display and controls. It was awful nice of Breville to replace my almost 3 year old unit with a brand new one because they couldn't provide a replacement brew basket ($20) part.

I am running a few batches of water through it now and will have it ready for tomorrow. Ordered some fresh JBM beans today too.

Their customer service is very good. You might have to hold/leave a callback number but their folks are very nice.... Kinda like a company we used to know.

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • maxward
    Cool! It’s great when a company has friendly customer service. I got some of the same today from Baratza about my grinder. Sorry to derail the thread.
  • Mikey081057
    Made my first pot this morning...

Set the grind on "2" which is "fine" and the "Strength" setting on 6 (out of 8).

Loaded the hopper with some JBM beans and let it rip...using a Melitta paper filter which is my normal preference.

Some things to note. The grinder is much quieter than the older version. No longer sounds like a weed wacker in the kitchen first thing in the morning.

The unit retails for app $247 has a SS thermal carafe and can make cups of in any size you might want.

Makes a great pot/cup of coffee that you can tweak to your taste. And it smells good too!

This guys review is pretty good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfHhQ-gSqec

• tonyb
    Do any of you guys with the Breville find that the beans don't always feed well into the grinder ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • joecoulson
    I don’t have the brewer like that, but the espresso feeds fine into mine
    Only when I used oily beans did it have issues. But oily beans usually suck
  • stangman67
    edited December 2018
    My integrated espresso grinder has never had an issue. Here’s some government shutdown Wednesday espresso/latte action shots. Some straight espresso and a quick latte for the gf. My art skills are still improving obviously lol. The coffee is blue bottle Hayes Valley espresso fresh roasted yesterday! All done with the Breville BES870XL Barista Express

mkg6iz3w64du.jpeg

4vyxpic7vc25.jpeg

91z3zok2bllr.jpeg

c16wqybkjygv.jpeg

dm9uyjwkpk7z.jpeg

8hvohjxzsgai.jpeg

• Willow
    stangman67 wrote: »
    My integrated espresso grinder has never had an issue. Here’s some government shutdown Wednesday espresso/latte action shots. Some straight espresso and a quick latte for the gf. My art skills are still improving obviously lol. The coffee is blue bottle Hayes Valley espresso fresh roasted yesterday! All done with the Breville BES870XL Barista Express

mkg6iz3w64du.jpeg

4vyxpic7vc25.jpeg

91z3zok2bllr.jpeg

c16wqybkjygv.jpeg

dm9uyjwkpk7z.jpeg

8hvohjxzsgai.jpeg

I'm on my way over!! that looks too good
  • Willow
    I've been playing around with the settings on my Cuisinart auto pour over. We normally had it at Bold but reading the instruction manual yesterday it said the Coffee association recommends Hot temp and medium. Tried it this morning and it was ok, I also think the person who ground our beans at the coffee shop used the wrong setting. It's either been a 5 or 7. We use a metal cone filter. Yesterday I bought the same Ethiopian beans and spoke to someone else and they suggested a 6. I'll be trying that tomorrow and I think I'll bump it back up to Bold.
  • Mikey081057
    edited December 2018
    tonyb wrote: »
    Do any of you guys with the Breville find that the beans don't always feed well into the grinder ?

In the almost 3 years using the old one... never had an issue... I keep my beans in a vacuum jar after opening, and Never put them in the fridge or freezer as that will make them attract moisture and wet beans can foul up your grinder....

• tonyb
    tonyb wrote: »

In the almost 3 years using the old one... never had an issue... I keep my beans in a vacuum jar after opening, and Never put them in the fridge or freezer as that will make them attract moisture and wet beans can foul up your grinder....

On the grind and brew Breville ? Or are you using a separate grinder ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • maxward
    CL has a listing for a Breville BES840XL, The Infuser, unused (a gift to someone who only drinks coffee). Can I assume that it should perform the same as the one with built-in grinder, the ...870...?
  • maxward
    BTW, nice looking shot and latte!