Hey Mantis

briancs
briancs Posts: 193
edited April 2002 in Technical/Setup
I am currently pondering the idea of switching one of my bedrooms to a HT. Using the livingroom as the TV room, and for music. Utilizing my Onkyo 595 in that set-up maybe with DCM's for music and Polks for TV. Question is, what receiver brand that CC sells would you recommend to go with Polks? The only respectable lines we carry are the Onkyo and HK. That being a somewhat eneducated opinion. I realise I am asking for an opinion or personal preferance. But wth the idea of a whole new system I would want the right products for eachother. The request is the price be in the $500 range (receiver alone). Which I believe limits me to the HK AVR220 and the Onkyo TX-SR600. Thanks in advance
The guy with $40.00 mains and a $700.00 subwoofer.
Post edited by briancs on

Comments

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited April 2002
    I would go with the Harman Kardon, it sound's(to me)better than the Onkyo.
    Here's the problem I feel is with the Onkyo.It's extemely bright.2 channel music on it sound unlistenable.when you run home theater, the center channel sound's like a lisp on everything anyone say's out of it.I hate that with a passion.
    But if you like the way it sound's BUY all mean's.But if you want my opinion....don't do it.
    Are you limited to only buying at CIRCUIT CITY???I would go out and here other brand's if you already havent.
    Tweeter is a good middle of the road store that can get you into a good receiver for what you want to spend.
    Here's another good point.....At Tweeter, they have Wise Buy's on last year's model's when they get replaced buy a new one, also they can price protect you from any and all sales.
    I also recommend Denon over what CC sell's.Over the Harman Kardon as well.You also could finance your new reciever at Tweeter and get 6 month's of no payment's.Thats a good amount of time to save up some more cash for a better receiver.
    My last point.......If you buy a better receiver,It will last you a longer time.You will beable to upgrade your speaker's if you choose and not have to keep swapping out receiver's.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • mantis
    edited April 2002
    Hey I forgot to tune you in on multiroom.
    The Denon avr3802 has powered 2nd zone.This receiver would solve both room's.You can build a nice 5.1 theater in one room, and 2 channel in the other room.
    Pick up a niles IRP2+ or a niles multiroom kit with a sensor or the 2 channel room and POW just like that you have a killer system, you can share sources like that as well.
    The Denon avr3802 can use it's surround back channel's for powered multiroom, you can reasign them in the set up menu.
    Down the road you want to use the 7.1 setup for theater, you can just buy a cheap 2 channel amp or use one of your existing sterreo receiver's to power your 2nd zone.
    If you like the Denon sound for music(most people do) you can pick up a Denon PoA 5200 2 channel amp...cheap.
    This is the way I would go if Iwere you.I know it's more money but you will be happier in the end, you won't have to but another receiver for a longt time.
    Tweeter put's them on wise buy from time to time.Keep one ear to the ground and you will find your answer's.
    I hope this help's you.
    Dan
  • briancs
    edited April 2002
    Unfortunately, yes Iam limited to Circuit City. I am a associate there. Which as you can probably agree the discount is extremely important. So I am limited on my product choices. As to a Tweeter's. Until joining this site I had never even heard of them. I am in southern Il right next to Carbondale SIU Salukis (if that helps on placement). Even to go to a CC store to shop by sampling. I have to drive about an hour to Padcah Ky..
    As to the HK nod. Why is that? There power is pretty low. Do they use a different _______?? I could probably step to the 320 at a max.Due in part to me restarting a whole new system.
  • johnnyamerika
    johnnyamerika Posts: 382
    edited April 2002
    I don't know if you're only looking to mantis for opinions (not to discretit you in any way mantis), but I would recommend the Onkyo TX-SR600. Powerful and clean, I don't find it bright, in fact the cinema EQ technology it has built in purposely removes the 'brightness inherent in movie soundtracks.' Harmon Kardon, I feel, is really a lower end reciever, and aren't doing what they used to do in terms of quality.

But the most important thing, especially since you work there, is to listen to the amps. I'm pretty sure CC runs HK and Onkyo in their demo spaces, so take a listen! Compare the same speakers, since you work there, I'm sure they'll let you move speakers around to get a good feel. You're ear is the best recommendation...you may find that Onkyo is too bright, or you may not like the HK's lack of punch :D, either way... test everything out before you buy.

john
  • briancs
    edited April 2002
    reccomendations are apreciated by anyone so thankyou. Well as long as this doesn't turn into a ford CHEVY type thing. I simply asked Mantis because he lives it, eats it breathes it. and gets paid for it. Oh and he is rather vocal about Onkyo.So that is why I asked everyone but directed toward Mantis. Again thankyou Johny and Mantis any and all help is much appreciated.
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited April 2002
    CC also sells JVC. I own one (my first JVC product) and was impressed with sound and features. My JVC also has multi-room, but with an RF remote so you won't need an extender. It only comes with one remote (I've been meaning to look into a second) so you'll have to haul it around from room to room. I think JVC has improved over the years, but they can't get past the stigma of being affordable. If you can, ask them to hook one up in a sound room to compare against your other choices. I think you'll be surprised. If you're looking for mainly Stereo, put it in line direct. This bypasses all eq&dsp modes. It'll save you a bundle too.

Do you already own the DCMs?
    Make it Funky! :)
  • briancs
    edited April 2002
    Nope don't own the DCM's quite yet. Want those because they use the same woofer and mid that I was going to use. That being a 12" and a 6 1/2". The horn is a tag along. On the JVC suggestion. As far as I know the only receiver of theirs that we carry is the one that costs $200. I am unsure of the model number though. Is that the one you are speaking of? If so that does not sound bad. How about the power, THD, and overall impression? I know JVC makes some nice receivers, but my availabilty with them is limited. That being why and only why I did not mention them along with the others that I did. P.S. Do you have experience with the DCM's or were you wanting an impression on them?
  • gidrah
    edited April 2002
    No, the JVC I've got will cost about $300-350. It's the 9010. It might be in the short aisles. Of course I'm going by the CC by me. Mine is heavy, has plenty of ins/outs, 64(or so) page English instruction manual, and gives the overall sense of a good build. Front USB port might help narrow your search. In stereo it's 120/ch with ignorable (over-rated statistic)THD of around .008%. It increases when you use the DSP mode (pavilion, dance hall, etc), but I don't use them. I wish I could be more specific, but my 16mo. daughter tears up everything and it has been since hidden away (from me too).

I have heard many a DCM. Timewindows on down. To me it seems as if they've been slipping as of late. Soon to be of KLH reputation if they don't do something quick. I'm mainly curious as to why you wouldn't choose Polks for your mains if you're going to use it for TV. I own speakers from 8 different maunfacturers. I'm only biassed by sound/$. My bias leans toward Polk. But that's me.

When you say( I can't figure out the quote function) that they use the same 12" woofer and 6 1/2" mid (and a tagalong horn) I was going to use. I'm wondering. Do you want these because of the 12' woofer and think it'll be better bass? That's not necessarily true. Large paper woofers CAN get sloppy in the bass freq's.
  • briancs
    edited April 2002
    gidrah I meant to put a reply. Screwed that though so its under oops. If I knew how to move it I would. But the puter is not my friend. sorry
  • briancs
    edited April 2002
    To answer the q at hand. The choice is more fo the 6 1/2. The 12 is a bonus. Choice for music over Polk's because I turn it up LOUD for music, and a lot of times lsten through the windows while I'm outside. And while I am in the shower. So sound quality would not be an isue as much (bless me father for I have sinned) as with TV. Right now the dual room source reveiver is not as important because I want my next big invstment to go toward being single again (and yes she knows). $300 isn't bad though. The original $500 is before discount so it ould be prtty easy to swallow.
  • gidrah
    edited April 2002
    I use to own a pair of Fishers with 2 (count em 2) 12" woofers. These things were behemoths. Unfortunately they each had a replacement woofer and just didn't sound right, so I got rid of them. My Monitor 10Bs can play plenty loud with my JVC. If you're looking for LOUD, look for sensitivity (SPL@1 watt). Wattage is like reverse exponentail. 500 watts is slightly louder than 150 watts. There's a math to it, but I forget.

I've got a spare pair of Altec Lansings (12"woofer) that'd blow the doors off of any currently sold (retail) DCMs.

P.S. Whe doing I test between a pair of spkrs rated at 30 watt and a pr. rated at 150 watt, the 150 siezed (blew) and the 30 didn't distort and was louder. Listen for yourself to all choices at your levels. If you blow them in a store, you'll blow them at home.
  • mantis
    edited April 2002
    It seem's like your stuck buying only from CC.Thats ok, just becarefull with buying a Onkyo.I'm sure your speaker's are in the demo room's there.I would do this..........
    Have a seat for a couple of hours,Listen to all the receiver's in there that you could afford,bring the cd's and movies that you know extremely well,and listen, don't worry about what brand your buying,just listen.
    I come off strong with Onkyo/Integra because I'm having problem's with there receiver's.They are bright to me,and harsh.But they do build them well.They are not a junk receiver.You really need to deside if your ears can tollerate there sound quality, many guy's in here love them, one I know for sure is a guy named Integra.
    Can your store get you into Integra as well???It's basically the same receiver but the Integra are slighty better built.
    I install Integra just about everyday, they are popular around my way, sell the sh** out of them.
    But Onkyo is what it is.If you like it and it meet's your need's and price,..........another thought, Bring one home and try it out, see if it work's in your system.If it does...great, if you don't care for it then you might have to save your pennies and go outside of CC.
    Good luck dude I hope you make out well.
    Dan
  • briancs
    edited April 2002
    Ok thanks to all for the input. Mantis I really appreciate you saying essentially listen to my ears. I will bedown to a CC store next weekend. i'll checkout some set-ups then following your advise. Gl those fishers sound massive to bad you did not to get to hear their full potential. On the power thing. Isnt it that you have to double the power to achieve an audible SPL? Just checking if thatis what you were refering to (not trying to say you said what you didn't)? I may still build my own with car components. Either EX or MOMO not sure sounds cool though. I shall also be looking into that JVC to take everyone advice and disregard none. It sounds like a good deal!Maybe it will be the one for me. Thanks again all.
  • mantis
    edited April 2002
    have fun dude bring a drink if you can(like soda or water)
    Dan
  • gidrah
    edited April 2002
    I fully understand the roaming while listening thing. I'm in the same boat. I've got the dual zone, but I listen to both zones in stereo (same source) with stacked speakers. I can't really play it loud so I'm thinking about a multichannel amp (ie Niles 12 ch.). If I get one I'll hook it up to the subroom pre-outs. House lay-out makes a big differene. Right now mine sucks for this purpose.

If you like the DCMs, by all means get them. As I've said: I won't bash them. They sound pretty good.

The JVC I have kinda sucks as a stand-alone stereo receiver in that in has an on-screen menu. Once it's set, it should be good to go. I know a lot of other rcvrs have this. I just thought I should let you know this is one of 'em.
  • briancs
    edited April 2002
    damn twelve channels! I could put one pair of speakers in every room. Hell even my bathroom. That takes roaming to the extremes. I LIKE!! Hey thanks for the heads up on JVC. The DCM's are just an idea for now. DIY is sounding really nice. 12" powered subs and a 6 1/2" component set in each tower. What do you think? Especially if I went with MOMO's. The plate amps are nothing special pretty low power. So maybe GNX's with EX3 components. Gotta figure out how to make grills. Or can I buy them? Could use the fisher grills or maybe naked speakers. Who knows not me I guess.

P.S. how big is your house? :) The 12channels have me wondering, and jealous.
  • gidrah
    edited April 2002
    Actually I live in a Duplex and rent out the top. That's why I can't listen LOUD. I currently tune the stereo, jambox in the kitchen and computer to 101.9(ww.WDET.FM.org) when roaming. The 12ch would cover six rooms: 2x outside, kitchen, dining-room, child's room (subliminal classical & language tapes) and second pair of speakers that I use for stereo. I could skip the 12ch and just move my speakers to cover my floor, but it'd mess up my HT and stereo imaging. I think this would be better than a speaker selector for many reasons. I can watch 5.1 movies while the daughter is getting subliminal Latin. I've got enough speakers (actually 9 brands) to fill the need, but if you're looking for quantity, you can get small speakers CHEAP. When in the kitchen,I'd rather have a pair of $20 KLH in the kitchen than anything else two rooms away.

DIY: Don't do it unless you invest the time and money to do it right. You can take the best components, put them in the best cabinets, drive them with the best electronics and they end up sounding like **** and costing twice as much. I'm twice as leary when you consider automotive components.
  • briancs
    edited April 2002
    yeah to less the chance for crap in a box with 75WPC. I made a post asking Kim if it would be worth the money and time. I've all but decided to go with 800's instead of DCM's in part due to your feedback and advice. That is if I don't DIY.