Magnet Shift Preventing Adhesive take a look

Ok fellas, I know we need to try and prevent the magnets from shifting and locking up the voice coils in our vintage Polks.

I have used Power Grab and thought about using epoxy, but always thought there must be another adhesive out there that is made for metal, strong, no silicone, no mess, dries clear, no odor, etc...etc...

I have found what I hope is the answer it's called Locktite GO2 Glue $4.97 1.75 oz size from Menards
I used it on my 1C MW woofers, Easy as can be.2sqgov1lwrsl.jpg
efovi37yhfdq.jpg
Yamaha RXA1030, Yamaha CD-S2100, Yamaha AS-2200, Bluesound node 2i
Polk SDA2btl highly modded
Polk SDA 1C modded
Polk CS350 LS x2
Kimber 8TC
Sony 55" Bravia
Wish list SVS sub

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    Ok fellas, I know we need to try and prevent the magnets from shifting and locking up the voice coils in our vintage Polks.

I have used Power Grab and thought about using epoxy, but always thought there must be another adhesive out there that is made for metal, strong, no silicone, no mess, dries clear, no odor, etc...etc...

I have found what I hope is the answer it's called Locktite GO2 Glue $4.97 1.75 oz size from Menards
    I used it on my 1C MW woofers, Easy as can be.2sqgov1lwrsl.jpg
    efovi37yhfdq.jpg

Please provide more details, such as how is it applied? How fast does it cure? How easy is it to apply to the side closest to the basket?

I note it says shatter resistant, not proof, which concerns me.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Hi Jesse, true the package does not say shatter proof. It is formulated with polyurethane though which is somewhat flexible when cured, drying time I think over night should do it. The applicator tip included with the glue works perfect for getting above and below the magnet, then wipe with a finger.sx3vtp73ufe2.jpg
    chdb3a1sbevf.jpg
    Polk SDA 1C modded
    Polk CS350 LS x2
    Kimber 8TC
    Sony 55" Bravia
    Wish list SVS sub

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    Ok, thank you. Seems like it's worth a try.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• I like that it comes in a smaller easy to apply squeeze bottle
    Polk SDA 1C modded
    Polk CS350 LS x2
    Kimber 8TC
    Sony 55" Bravia
    Wish list SVS sub

• verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    What is the viscosity like? I'm assuming it's a bit thicker than regular CA glue.
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • The viscosity is like silicone, one good thing I noticed it does not get stringy.
    Polk SDA 1C modded
    Polk CS350 LS x2
    Kimber 8TC
    Sony 55" Bravia
    Wish list SVS sub

• FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    The viscosity is like silicone, one good thing I noticed it does not get stringy.

Shorter molecular strands....
  • tonyp063 wrote: »

Thank You
    Polk SDA 1C modded
    Polk CS350 LS x2
    Kimber 8TC
    Sony 55" Bravia
    Wish list SVS sub

• Malbec
    Malbec Posts: 548
    I've used it on a few small woodworking projects just to try out. Easy to use with decent open time and no mess. Not sure about shear strength though. I'll glue up a couple pieces of wood to test. I repaired a plastic dust hood with decent results.40zi1b8ttlq0.jpg
  • FWIW, the manufacturer says this adhesive is intended only for applications where at least one of the materials being glued is POROUS. Here's a quote from the Loctite website:

"Loctite Go2 Glue cures by absorption of moisture from the environment; therefore at least one surface must be porous."
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,087
    edited December 2018
    The package label says "if bonding two non-porous surfaces (i.e. metal to metal) both surfaces should be wetted with a damp cloth prior to applying adhesive." Is this necessary for gluing these magnets? If so, did you do so, and how did you? Thanks.
    Post edited by aprazer402 on
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    I'd think so as most polyurethane glues need the moisture to activate. All you usually need to do is apply water with a small brush to dampen
  • I did not use any water, as far as I could tell the adhesive cured just fine. I might try it next time though.
    Polk SDA 1C modded
    Polk CS350 LS x2
    Kimber 8TC
    Sony 55" Bravia
    Wish list SVS sub

• A little spare time today so I decided to do a strength test with this Loctite GO2 adhesive. For my test I used Three 1/4 inch zinc plated fender washers I chose plated washers to simulate the metal used for the pole piece and basket / magnet mount area.

I cleaned the washers with brake parts cleaner to remove any contamination

Next I glued the washers together with 3 drops of GO2 glue In the areas marked. The reason for two areas is because the instruction say to use a water wipe prior to gluing I saw no difference in strength with this test.

Next I attached a heavy 20 pound brick to the washers as you can see neither glue joint failed.

iepcnmsctulz.jpg
    cprg6b0effsx.jpg
    uedudbsy3tyd.jpg

Randy

Polk SDA 1C modded
    Polk CS350 LS x2
    Kimber 8TC
    Sony 55" Bravia
    Wish list SVS sub

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,308
    Nice, Randy. For another test to see what happens to it when it fails, can you try a forced bend/break of the glue?

PS.
    That step ladder looks like it might be difficult to move around now.
    I disabled signatures.
  • To add to the above test I was able to break one of the two glue joints by twisting and applying considerable force, however I could not nor could my son break the joint where water was first applied to the washers ( very strong in my opinion)

Happy New Year!!
    Randy
    Polk SDA 1C modded
    Polk CS350 LS x2
    Kimber 8TC
    Sony 55" Bravia
    Wish list SVS sub

• msg
    And was it the bond or the glue that broke? If the glue, did it snap, or make a slow, bendy break? I think F1 mentioned question about shatter? I saw that bit above where you mentioned it's formulated with polyurethane, which should be somewhat flexible when cured?

I'm really curious about this, because I've got some mods to make. I gotta make a trip to the hardware store. I'll pick up a bottle to try, if they have it.
    I disabled signatures.
  • pitdogg2
    Very interesting
  • delkal
    delkal Posts: 764
    To add to the above test I was able to break one of the two glue joints by twisting and applying considerable force, however I could not nor could my son break the joint where water was first applied to the washers ( very strong in my opinion)

Happy New Year!!
    Randy

Water is the catalyst that activates these types of glues. I bet the bond (without water) would become stronger after sitting a few days even up to a few weeks.
  • Good question msg
    msg wrote: »
    And was it the bond or the glue that broke? If the glue, did it snap, or make a slow, bendy break? I think F1 mentioned question about shatter? I saw that bit above where you mentioned it's formulated with polyurethane, which should be somewhat flexible when cured?

I'm really curious about this, because I've got some mods to make. I gotta make a trip to the hardware store. I'll pick up a bottle to try, if they have it.

rhjhgd0obo4r.jpg

I checked and it was the glue that failed not the glue to metal as you can see.

Randy
    Polk SDA 1C modded
    Polk CS350 LS x2
    Kimber 8TC
    Sony 55" Bravia
    Wish list SVS sub

• pitdogg2
    One question.
    With many of these types of glue where water is the catalyst, many end up with small micro bubbles and the glue itself expands. Was there any of that with this go2 poly glue?
  • To answer your other question the joint snapped as I twisted as hard as I could.
    Polk SDA 1C modded
    Polk CS350 LS x2
    Kimber 8TC
    Sony 55" Bravia
    Wish list SVS sub

• This is the joint where water was used per the instructions, I see no bubbles or expansion.
    holuc69om9a4.jpg
    Polk SDA 1C modded
    Polk CS350 LS x2
    Kimber 8TC
    Sony 55" Bravia
    Wish list SVS sub

• pitdogg2
  • I recently had to repair a cracked (pressboard) speaker grill frame, and used this GO2 glue. Because both surfaces were porous, I felt that it was a good choice of adhesives.

I found it easy to work with and quite strong when dry. I liked that it was clear, moderately thick, and did not expand as it dried. For this application I did clamp the parts for 30min (as recommended) to ensure a tight mechanical bond between the broken pieces.

Not clear to me why Loctite recommends against using it on non-porous surfaces, as the OP's testing seems to show a strong bond to metal. For magnet gluing, I think I will stick (haha, pun) to the Loctite PL3 that I wrote-up in a separate thread. It is strongly (haha, another pun) recommended for non-porous surfaces.

• msg
    edited January 2019
    I picked some of this up earlier this week out of curiosity, just because I need a decent GP glue, and tested it yesterday on a ceramic mug handle just to see how it works. Ceramic/pottery is tricky to glue as I understand it.

I think I have some old speakers or a ferrite magnet and some fender washers I can mess with to see how this stuff sets up similarly to how it may be used with setting driver magnets? I'm curious too. Nothing against the Loctite Power Grab, but just getting to a point where I'm about to start working on some SDAs.

http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/go2_glue/overview/Go2-Glue.htm
    mjqkk3en0pmc.png

hf2oarp12wqn.png
    For magnet gluing, I think I will stick (haha, pun) to the Loctite PL3 that I wrote-up in a separate thread. It is strongly (haha, another pun) recommended for non-porous surfaces.
    What's PL3? Link to your write-up?

I disabled signatures.
  • msg
    Thanks for sharing your experience with this, Randy.
    I disabled signatures.
  • My pleasure
    Polk SDA 1C modded
    Polk CS350 LS x2
    Kimber 8TC
    Sony 55" Bravia
    Wish list SVS sub