Dr Who First female doctor not feeling it....

K_M
K_M Posts: 1,627
edited November 2018 in Music & Movies
I was all excited to see Jodie Whittaker playing the "doctor". I had no idea how her spin would be at the tardis.
The first episode seemed a bit slow, odd and unusual. I attributed that to "her/him" regenerating or the newness of a new actor to the role.
But as the episodes came, one by one, I started to feel letdown, bored and even not excited to see one of my favourite shows anymore.
She was "okay" as the doctor, and I loved her on Broadchurch, but really no flame or excitement in her portrayal.

The Stories seem to waver between childish and Political correct ideas that seem quite forced and not entertaining or suspenseful at all.
They seem to just be going through the motions, but I feel no emotional connection or to the story.
I loved David Tennant and Matt Smith, and expected to like Jodie even more.
Not to mention the "gaggle" of companions, that are more than needed and none seem vibrant or exciting like Amy Pond was, not even close.

Total letdown but do any of you guys feel the show really slipped down a few notches in quality?

Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    The last Doctor Who I watched -- was Jon Pertwee. :)
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    Dr. who?
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,033
    I am familiar with Dr. No, and Dr, Strangelove....
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,310
    Sounds like more of a problem with the writing than with who plays Who.
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    No one is going to ask "what in tarnation are you talking about? "
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    edited November 2018
    I am familiar with Dr. No, and Dr, Strangelove....

Don't forget Dr Zhivago... Or Dr Frank N Furter
  • BC6
    BC6 Posts: 109
    I haven't seen all of the shows yet, but I've been thinking the same thing K_M. I really want to like it, but I'm mostly bored. And I don't think it's because she's a woman. I actually like her version of the Doctor. It looks to me like the new show runner is trying to create smaller, human interest stories instead of galaxy and time spanning epics, but it's just coming across as aimless and trite. Bring on the Daleks!
    2 Channel: Atohm GT-1 speakers, Atoll IN400 integrated amp, PS Audio DirectStream DAC, PS Audio NuWave Phono Converter, Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB with Ortofon Bronze cartridge, SotM sMS-200 ultra streamer, SotM sPS-500 power supply, and homemade infinite baffle subwoofer with two Fi Audio IB318 drivers.

HT: All Polk: SDA 2.3tl fronts, CSiA6 center, 500-LS ceiling, RT/FX, RTi8, Monitor 4 rears, plus Yamaha CX-a5100 AV Preamplifier/Processor, Yamaha MX-a5000 11.1 channel amplifier, and Sony XBR55-AE1 OLED TV.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,052
    I've really loved the Dr. Who reboot which is now in its 10th or 11the season. But this season does seem to be a bit inconsistent and uneven. I've watched 3 of this seasons episodes (the rest are on the DVR) with Jody Whittaker and I think the writing is a bit weaker and less focused this season. And they seem to be taking a long time for her to "get into the role" after this latest regeneration.

There seems to be a more focused effort (blatantly) at making specific social and political commentary. I also find it personally distracting having 3 traveling companions instead of one. This means more time has to be spent developing those characters and it seems to have caused many story lines to drag and plod along. They seem to be focusing on more minutiae than in the past.

The extra characters, unfocused story lines and some pretty campy situations which rely too much on the "sonic screwdriver" to deliver them from danger or reveal information rather than using the Dr's natural wits or charisma and charm has turned me off a bit too.

I have no issue with the Dr being a female, but it seems to have messed with the continuity of the show because somehow the writing has changed focus or might be compensating in some way because this is the first ever female Dr., or it's just poor writing in general. The whole franchise seems less clever than it used to be.

I am only 3 episodes in, but I keep expecting more and I come away slightly disappointed.

No spoiler please as the discussion continues.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,707
    I honestly thought it started going downhill half way through Peter Capaldi's tenure.

It was like they went from being "dark" to trying too hard or going for shock value to be dark. Actually, around the time that Bill Potts became the companion. She was aggravating, couldn't stand her and The Doctor basically turned into a whiny, self-absorbed little ****.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • afterburnt
    Jody Whittaker, isn't that the kid from Family Affair that OD'ed?
  • K_M
    edited November 2018
    heiney9 wrote: »
    I've really loved the Dr. Who reboot which is now in its 10th or 11the season. But this season does seem to be a bit inconsistent and uneven. I've watched 3 of this seasons episodes (the rest are on the DVR) with Jody Whittaker and I think the writing is a bit weaker and less focused this season. And they seem to be taking a long time for her to "get into the role" after this latest regeneration.

There seems to be a more focused effort (blatantly) at making specific social and political commentary. I also find it personally distracting having 3 traveling companions instead of one. This means more time has to be spent developing those characters and it seems to have caused many story lines to drag and plod along. They seem to be focusing on more minutiae than in the past.

The extra characters, unfocused story lines and some pretty campy situations which rely too much on the "sonic screwdriver" to deliver them from danger or reveal information rather than using the Dr's natural wits or charisma and charm has turned me off a bit too.

I have no issue with the Dr being a female, but it seems to have messed with the continuity of the show because somehow the writing has changed focus or might be compensating in some way because this is the first ever female Dr., or it's just poor writing in general. The whole franchise seems less clever than it used to be.

I am only 3 episodes in, but I keep expecting more and I come away slightly disappointed.

No spoiler please as the discussion continues.

H9

I thinks we agree totally!
    Her acting is fine,but the story, the words and the situations seem more set on teaching the audience a lesson that is quite simplistic and boring.
    I see so much political stuff trying to be forced in, but in ways that are obvious, make the story seem like trite fluffle.
    I love a female doctor, but want one that can tell great stories and keep my interest!

Do not want to be hit over the head with a hammer telling me "Humans bad" "Males even badder"....like I want a timeless story not drivel based on what one political party finds offensive in 2018!

I am waiting for the obligatory "Kennedy was shot by a guy with a GUN, guns are bad" Episode...
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    afterburnt wrote: »

Johnny Whitaker played "Jody", the brother. Anissa Jones played "Buffy", the younger sister. She OD'd in 1976.
  • afterburnt
    Viking64 wrote: »

Johnny Whitaker played "Jody", the brother. Anissa Jones played "Buffy", the younger sister. She OD'd in 1976.

That what I said, Buffy Foster died in Silence of the lambs. What did you think I said?
  • afterburnt
    Viking64 wrote: »

To be seriuos for a moment, they were supposed to be twins and they neverthat show said which one was born first. I binge watched that show on Prime all the time thinking "who knew?"
  • afterburnt
    I found the prigram to be deeply bisurbing from Uncle Bills drug induced stupor to Buffy Sainte-Marie appearing in many episodes with giant herpes sores around her mouth.
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    Didn’t like Peter Capaldi as the doctor, quit watching after the third or fourth episode. Just seemed he tried to make the Doctor into more of a drama series. If your playing a character the travels through time in a phone booth, it isn’t a dramatic part.

Haven’t seen this new doctor. Was excited when I learned Capaldi was finally being replaced, but forgot to check when the new episodes aired. Guess I liked Capaldi even less than I realized.
  • afterburnt
    At least he didn't have herpes sore that looked like personal pan pizzas around his mouth.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    Given the production is by the BBC, and they have become hyper-inclusive and hyper-politically correct in recent years, it does not surprise me that the story lines don't follow the somewhat edgy and violent sci-fi themes they used to but instead have strayed more into social justice issues and are aimed at teaching kids lessons about getting along with people who are different. That's just the way the BBC is now. I grew up in England in the 1970s when the Dr.'s enemies were pretty scary for a kid. I don't blame any of that diminishment on the Dr. becoming a female character, since the actress is very good but she is limited to what she has to work with now. Like a lot of BBC shows, it is aimed at pushing an educational agenda. I don't really care about that, but if the shows are boring and no longer interesting I switch to something else.
  • afterburnt
    I am more into the golden age of film, Fatty Arbuckle was one of my favorites.
  • heiney9
    Jesus H. C H R I S T - Afterburner - can you ever be courteous and stay on topic. If you want to blather on about "Family Affair" start your own dam thread! I get tired of your inane comments. You're not clever and you're not funny and most time you're posts are completely irrelevant to the topic.

/rant

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127

To be seriuos for a moment, they were supposed to be twins and they neverthat show said which one was born first. I binge watched that show on Prime all the time thinking "who knew?"[/quote]

Maybe you should binge watch something with a little less controversial, and suspenseful, maybe The Flying Nun.
  • afterburnt
    heiney9 wrote: »
    Jesus H. C H R I S T - Afterburner - can you ever be courteous and stay on topic. If you want to blather on about "Family Affair" start your own dam thread! I get tired of your inane comments. You're not clever and you're not funny and most time you're posts are completely irrelevant to the topic.

/rant

H9

You are right. I am sorry.
  • My favorite Dr. Who ?

Matt Smith, hands down.
    His sidekick was also my favorite: Karen Gillan. {sigh}

Sal Palooza
  • heiney9
    David Tenant and Billie Piper. Special mention to Karen Gillan

H9
  • K_M
    My favorite Dr. Who ?

Matt Smith, hands down.
    His sidekick was also my favorite: Karen Gillan. {sigh}

I liked David Tennant best as the doctor, but Karen Gillan as a companion.
    Matt Smith still very good though!