What is the best 2 channel receiver you have ever owned.

Mine would be a Nad, that i got back in the late 80,s.
Not an Audiophile, just a dude who loves music, and decent gear to hear it with.

Answers

• mlistens03mlistens03 Posts: 2,442
    edited November 2018
    If it has to be a receiver than my Lafayette LR-1100. (not my pic)
    8ubukdlagn37.jpg
    If integrateds are allowed, then my NAD C352.
    Micah
    music on vinyl; https://www.discogs.com/user/mlistens03/collection
    Technics SL3200 turntable; Shure M97xE cart; Hagerman Audio Labs Bugle 2; NAD C352 integrated; KEF Q150 speakers; Velodyne VA-907 subwoofer; home-built stands, generic cables but will upgrade soon...

desktop; Lenovo G50 running Win10, Yamaha RX-v665 AVR, JBL e30 headphones
    I've always thought the goal of high-end audio was not to have your neighbors bang on the wall and say, 'Turn that darn music down' but to have your neighbors bang on the wall and say, 'Tell your friends to go home and you can practice later this week'.
  • heiney9heiney9 Posts: 23,960
    Nakamichi SR-3. Circa 1987

Bass, imaging and soundstage were the things it excelled at. It also seemed to play beyond its power ratings and could drive more difficult loads.

I'm sure it had a lot to do with the Stasis circuit licensed from Threshold/Nelson Pass. These were powerhouse, well built and expensive units for their day.

w86Qlr5VvOWegNnnNkjRefi9vJgd-b3p2sIQR_FesPAQ5IU_P-r9RIREiPN3nr7_O9x7HbefhqdcNv9Zf7pjvQVQCsw-oiWfn2C2Cwp3Gfuaeeo8fLuOjODyxE_00dfuFDDaHbgyvZ2UX2XbE6k9IobAP9njggOLb39lCjxxxNJejwwoEvsPSJLSIR8EWWkJ2M8E5QURa0hbMTxxj8tlTGer_TM44HzgzjWqQ-4smd_fXpku0AfN7R8qzyY-jGt9rjzdq_fwnS_Rzf9NRZ5I8H-Y2YzEToEv4sVeEpsNyGRl-Jm2ztZ_V3rAGJkbIB0N1il7Wim4ZjAwjltZqY9btVxEpc96ksMBnCiElD8eYhtfQLg8U8k-YRLkniXktMS8AliDfkACbdaMFJUxwZI1yTU29JUnBBRPviBI8xsdo0M8LdhRa2i2_t5NFumwM4os3qxdFrP5sB5x0GKkNNdeJV0K_bTz2WRVNglQ2FB5lsSVDyUhS3kUxdh-YD8h0icqiJJP04cEifcu45CPyLryf0bCU0IEhKxXtjIClNEfTtBwz8pUWlDZWhmvLT3zW6nEW4FX45kNoUL6Y7M5He0hxerw7bEi4vRx1iL9vD6oP6OjJ2KUi7Dg1A=w1920-h768-no
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

Pass Aleph 30 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Plus DAC | MIT Shotgun S3 | MIT Z P/C's | updated SDA 1C| SQ Box Touch/Welbourne Labs P/S- Tubes add soul!
  • mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 20,568
    edited November 2018
    Not really a two channel receiver kind of guy, but the best I've owned to date to listen to is probably a rather nicely rehabbed (and cosmetically decent, if not quite Mad Men quality) Fisher 500C. It's the one sittin' on the top (Sansui 1000A on the bottom) in the photo below.

The 500 C, like its kin the 400 and 800(C), has push-pull 7591A outputs for ca. 30 wpc (give or take). This one was rehabbed by Craig Ostby (amplifiers) and Mike Williams (tuner).

14979459776_07c5142685_h.jpgDSC_9817 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

Very fine piece of hardware and nicely made inside and out.

The "best on paper" 2-ch receiver here is probably the Yamaha CR-2020 (on the right in the photo)

15741951355_f56128d662_h.jpgDSC_0576 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

(BTW, this is a scan of an actual film photograph :) )

-- or, perhaps, the CR-1000: TOTL, two model generations earlier than the CR-2010, with a very, very good tuner -- and... umm, shall we say an imaginative, disco-era design ethos :p It's the one on the bottom :|

14476943406_1a372b8e5a_b.jpgDSC_6691_ by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
  • Tony MTony M Posts: 7,135
    edited November 2018

This question makes my brain hurt.

There's been so many that were great.

I owned a Nak like the receiver above and it was special for sure. ;)

Maybe a Pioneer SX-1250. :) And I sold it for 180.00 years ago. :s Another regret!!
    8ojbf0rn11qt.png
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
    Tony M wrote: »

Maybe a Pioneer SX-1250. :) And I sold it for 180.00 years ago. :s Another regret!!
    8ojbf0rn11qt.png
    Yeah. I'd regret that. :/

And I am not even a huge fan of those big Pioneer receivers (although I do have an SX-1050... and it was more than 180 smackers, quite a few years back now).

edited November 2018
    I sold a SX1050 for 50.00 too. :s

It turned on but it didn't put out sound. I never looked in it. It was dirtier than sin but I knew then how well they clean up. But a guy bought a bunch of stuff from me and in the end, I sold that to him too. :#

I paid 5.00 each for those two receivers from an estate sale. :o

If I had more money I'd have filled my car up and went back with my truck for the huge BOZAK speakers that were there. They were HUGE speakers!

The kids said there was some more stuff down in the basement but the stuff was SO dirty and dusty and I spent what I had pretty much, I passed on seeing what was down there for fear of catching whatever might've killed the father of these 2 boys.

Another regret! :s He might've have some McIntosh gear stacked up along with some Marantz's too.
    I'll NEVER KNOW. :( :'( :s
  • A pic of my best sounding receiver which also happens to be the only receiver I owngvgdq8z5u985.jpg
    edited November 2018
    Not a bad only receiver to have at all! ;) B) :p :)

I've owned maybe 100 receivers and NEVER have owned a McIntosh.

It's surely on my bucket list but my time is getting somewhat limited. I better hurry up! :D :p
    For a long, long time, McIntosh wouldn't deign to allow the McIntosh name to be used on a mere receiver. The earlier McIntosh receivers were branded MAC.

oiqa39r2id39.png

ae2pl564ylaz.png

When the 4100 came along, they did use the full name. though.

There were also the Japanese made Stereotech receivers -- MAC in all but name and place of assembly (i.e., not McIntosh, by the company's standard of the time).

Pretty well regarded and not particularly easy, nor cheap, to come by today.

4cut0pd3io7w.png

(borrowed images above, needless to say)

Looking at the Stereotech 1200 receiver's cosmetics now, I am struck by how similar to the (US made) early HH Scott stereo receiver it looks.
    Here's a Scott 342-C that used to live here, for comparison.

14918764275_38c9d66223_b.jpgScott 342C by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

(very good tuners in the Scotts of that era -- and made in Maynard, MA, they were, too)

• verbverb Posts: 4,790
    Admittedly, I've only owned 1 receiver most of my life, since then I went to separate pre/amp combos. Here is my beloved Pioneer SX-V500:
    jf2md95hbqna.png
    It recently died a quiet death a few years back, but it had pre-amp connections so most of it's use was as a pre! I found another one, bought it out of nostagia mainly, but retired it shortly after I joined this forum! Paired it with an SAE A205 power amp (still have) which is now back in the box. What memories! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS, Rega RP1 TT, VTL 2.5 Preamplifier, Enlightened Audio Designs CD Transport, Northstar Designs DAC, Conrad Johnson MF2300A Amp, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Wireworld Oasis 8 RCA IC's, MIT Terminator2 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, Marantz CD-1 transport, Marantz AMP-1, Acoustic Technologies Classic Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus Subwoofer, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Project BoxE Bluetooth Streamer, Polk TSi200's
    Living Room: Pioneer SX-N30 Network Receiver, Pioneer PD10AE CD Player, Furman M8-LX Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi Subwoofer
  • verbverb Posts: 4,790
    A pic of my best sounding receiver which also happens to be the only receiver I owngvgdq8z5u985.jpg

You still have the McIntosh equalizer? How do you like it?
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS, Rega RP1 TT, VTL 2.5 Preamplifier, Enlightened Audio Designs CD Transport, Northstar Designs DAC, Conrad Johnson MF2300A Amp, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Wireworld Oasis 8 RCA IC's, MIT Terminator2 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, Marantz CD-1 transport, Marantz AMP-1, Acoustic Technologies Classic Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus Subwoofer, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Project BoxE Bluetooth Streamer, Polk TSi200's
    Living Room: Pioneer SX-N30 Network Receiver, Pioneer PD10AE CD Player, Furman M8-LX Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi Subwoofer
  • verb wrote: »
    You still have the McIntosh equalizer? How do you like it?

Yes it's still here but like the 4100 it rarely get used. When it does get played I use it with either my Mcintosh ML1C's or khorns which both benefit from it's help. It's effects are very subtle compared to the more common slider eq's.

• Mikey081057Mikey081057 Posts: 5,768
    Marantz 2385

eahqkgvi9tja.jpg
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

HT:Polk LSiM 706 LSiM 705's VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's| Marantz AV7704 | Sunfire TGA-7401 | Oppo UDP 203 | Sony PS4 Pro| Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | SVS PB13 Ultra | MIT EXP 2's (Fronts & Center)

ManCave: Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro | Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's | Usher BE-616 Center | SVS Ultra Surrounds | SVS SB4000 Sub |Oppo UDP 203 | MIT Shotgun S3's | Marantz SA8004 SACD | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | HP Elite Slice PC | Samsung 50" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio Polk Atrium 8's |Marantz 2252B |

Office Bluesound Node2 | Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | Marantz 2385 |

Bedroom Peactree Nova 125SE | Focal 905's | Bluesound Node | SVS SB2000 Sub

Garage Yamaha R-N303BL | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP2K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's |
  • OleBootOleBoot Posts: 410
    I've only ever owned one receiver - a Rotel RX-503 back in the mid 70's. Receivers weren't as big in Europe as they were here - if you wanted radio, you got a tuner to add to your integrated amp. I remember it sounding pretty good with the Mission (I think) speakers I had at the time, but in those days the sex and drugs rather lessened one's discernment of the quality of the rock and roll.

To wit:

I started out with nothing and have most of it left.
  • DawgfishDawgfish Posts: 2,537
    edited November 2018
    Marantz 2220B I'm currently using for a headphone rig. It sounds great with my ZU Omens since they are highly efficient and the Marantz is only 20wpc. It's a very powerful 20 wpc. The headphone amp and phono stage are killer on this thing. l0hfxvnr9m8y.jpg
  • Viking64Viking64 Posts: 3,729
    40-plus years in this hobby and I have NEVER owned a receiver! (Or a tuner.) :p Integrateds and separates only. Unless you count my big JVC ghetto-blaster I got in 1983. HAHAHAHA

DVD & SACD>CD>vinyl>cassettes>8-tracks>AM/FM
  • afterburntafterburnt Posts: 4,978
    Tony M wrote: »
    I sold a SX1050 for 50.00 too. :s

It turned on but it didn't put out sound. I never looked in it. It was dirtier than sin but I knew then how well they clean up. But a guy bought a bunch of stuff from me and in the end, I sold that to him too. :#

I paid 5.00 each for those two receivers from an estate sale. :o

If I had more money I'd have filled my car up and went back with my truck for the huge BOZAK speakers that were there. They were HUGE speakers!

The kids said there was some more stuff down in the basement but the stuff was SO dirty and dusty and I spent what I had pretty much, I passed on seeing what was down there for fear of catching whatever might've killed the father of these 2 boys.

Another regret! :s He might've have some McIntosh gear stacked up along with some Marantz's too.
    I'll NEVER KNOW. :( :'( :s

Don't look at me!
  • Yamaha Av-34 that I got for $25 at a second hand store. It was/is a faithful piece, sounded good and packed quite a punch. Since I have gone to separates.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • erniejadeerniejade Posts: 4,536
    Realistic STA-2100 I had in the late 70s' or early mid 80's. BUT, I was young and probably on something during the time I had it LOL. I would actually like to hear it now against the Pioneer sc27 I have in the living room. The sc27 does a decent job for a receiver. A bit warmer then folks might think.
    Lumin D1,Wireworld Silver Eclipse, KEF LS50 Wireless, Velodyne SPL1200, Technics 1200, Denon DL160, Jolida D9,
    USB helper: w4s Recovery
    Living Room Teac AI-3000, LSI25, SDA 3.1TL, Grant Fidelity Tube Dac 11
    Have but haven't used in a while: LH Labs VI Dac, Cayin SCD50T