What is the best 2 channel receiver you have ever owned.

Mine would be a Nad, that i got back in the late 80,s.
Not an Audiophile, just a dude who loves music, and decent gear to hear it with.

Answers

• halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Onkyo TX-830 Stereo Receiver. Circa 1988.

Not my receiver; image found on the interweb.
    aqjgqsvcyxu0q0hkpujg.jpg
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    edited November 2018
    If it has to be a receiver than my Lafayette LR-1100. (not my pic)
    8ubukdlagn37.jpg
    If integrateds are allowed, then my NAD C352.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,053
    Nakamichi SR-3. Circa 1987

Bass, imaging and soundstage were the things it excelled at. It also seemed to play beyond its power ratings and could drive more difficult loads.

I'm sure it had a lot to do with the Stasis circuit licensed from Threshold/Nelson Pass. These were powerhouse, well built and expensive units for their day.

w86Qlr5VvOWegNnnNkjRefi9vJgd-b3p2sIQR_FesPAQ5IU_P-r9RIREiPN3nr7_O9x7HbefhqdcNv9Zf7pjvQVQCsw-oiWfn2C2Cwp3Gfuaeeo8fLuOjODyxE_00dfuFDDaHbgyvZ2UX2XbE6k9IobAP9njggOLb39lCjxxxNJejwwoEvsPSJLSIR8EWWkJ2M8E5QURa0hbMTxxj8tlTGer_TM44HzgzjWqQ-4smd_fXpku0AfN7R8qzyY-jGt9rjzdq_fwnS_Rzf9NRZ5I8H-Y2YzEToEv4sVeEpsNyGRl-Jm2ztZ_V3rAGJkbIB0N1il7Wim4ZjAwjltZqY9btVxEpc96ksMBnCiElD8eYhtfQLg8U8k-YRLkniXktMS8AliDfkACbdaMFJUxwZI1yTU29JUnBBRPviBI8xsdo0M8LdhRa2i2_t5NFumwM4os3qxdFrP5sB5x0GKkNNdeJV0K_bTz2WRVNglQ2FB5lsSVDyUhS3kUxdh-YD8h0icqiJJP04cEifcu45CPyLryf0bCU0IEhKxXtjIClNEfTtBwz8pUWlDZWhmvLT3zW6nEW4FX45kNoUL6Y7M5He0hxerw7bEi4vRx1iL9vD6oP6OjJ2KUi7Dg1A=w1920-h768-no
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited November 2018
    Not really a two channel receiver kind of guy, but the best I've owned to date to listen to is probably a rather nicely rehabbed (and cosmetically decent, if not quite Mad Men quality) Fisher 500C. It's the one sittin' on the top (Sansui 1000A on the bottom) in the photo below.

The 500 C, like its kin the 400 and 800(C), has push-pull 7591A outputs for ca. 30 wpc (give or take). This one was rehabbed by Craig Ostby (amplifiers) and Mike Williams (tuner).

14979459776_07c5142685_h.jpgDSC_9817 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

Very fine piece of hardware and nicely made inside and out.

The "best on paper" 2-ch receiver here is probably the Yamaha CR-2020 (on the right in the photo)

15741951355_f56128d662_h.jpgDSC_0576 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

(BTW, this is a scan of an actual film photograph :) )

-- or, perhaps, the CR-1000: TOTL, two model generations earlier than the CR-2010, with a very, very good tuner -- and... umm, shall we say an imaginative, disco-era design ethos :p It's the one on the bottom :|

14476943406_1a372b8e5a_b.jpgDSC_6691_ by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    edited November 2018

This question makes my brain hurt.

There's been so many that were great.

I owned a Nak like the receiver above and it was special for sure. ;)

Maybe a Pioneer SX-1250. :) And I sold it for 180.00 years ago. :s Another regret!!
    8ojbf0rn11qt.png
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • mhardy6647
    Tony M wrote: »

Maybe a Pioneer SX-1250. :) And I sold it for 180.00 years ago. :s Another regret!!
    8ojbf0rn11qt.png
    Yeah. I'd regret that. :/

And I am not even a huge fan of those big Pioneer receivers (although I do have an SX-1050... and it was more than 180 smackers, quite a few years back now).

• Tony M
    edited November 2018
    I sold a SX1050 for 50.00 too. :s

It turned on but it didn't put out sound. I never looked in it. It was dirtier than sin but I knew then how well they clean up. But a guy bought a bunch of stuff from me and in the end, I sold that to him too. :#

I paid 5.00 each for those two receivers from an estate sale. :o

If I had more money I'd have filled my car up and went back with my truck for the huge BOZAK speakers that were there. They were HUGE speakers!

The kids said there was some more stuff down in the basement but the stuff was SO dirty and dusty and I spent what I had pretty much, I passed on seeing what was down there for fear of catching whatever might've killed the father of these 2 boys.

Another regret! :s He might've have some McIntosh gear stacked up along with some Marantz's too.
    I'll NEVER KNOW. :(:'(:s
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,042
    A pic of my best sounding receiver which also happens to be the only receiver I owngvgdq8z5u985.jpg
  • Tony M
    edited November 2018
    Not a bad only receiver to have at all! ;)B):p:)

I've owned maybe 100 receivers and NEVER have owned a McIntosh.

It's surely on my bucket list but my time is getting somewhat limited. I better hurry up! :D:p
  • mhardy6647
    For a long, long time, McIntosh wouldn't deign to allow the McIntosh name to be used on a mere receiver. The earlier McIntosh receivers were branded MAC.

oiqa39r2id39.png

ae2pl564ylaz.png

When the 4100 came along, they did use the full name. though.

There were also the Japanese made Stereotech receivers -- MAC in all but name and place of assembly (i.e., not McIntosh, by the company's standard of the time).

Pretty well regarded and not particularly easy, nor cheap, to come by today.

4cut0pd3io7w.png

(borrowed images above, needless to say)

Looking at the Stereotech 1200 receiver's cosmetics now, I am struck by how similar to the (US made) early HH Scott stereo receiver it looks.
    Here's a Scott 342-C that used to live here, for comparison.

14918764275_38c9d66223_b.jpgScott 342C by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

(very good tuners in the Scotts of that era -- and made in Maynard, MA, they were, too)

• verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Admittedly, I've only owned 1 receiver most of my life, since then I went to separate pre/amp combos. Here is my beloved Pioneer SX-V500:
    jf2md95hbqna.png
    It recently died a quiet death a few years back, but it had pre-amp connections so most of it's use was as a pre! I found another one, bought it out of nostagia mainly, but retired it shortly after I joined this forum! Paired it with an SAE A205 power amp (still have) which is now back in the box. What memories! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • verb
    A pic of my best sounding receiver which also happens to be the only receiver I owngvgdq8z5u985.jpg

You still have the McIntosh equalizer? How do you like it?
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,042
    verb wrote: »
    You still have the McIntosh equalizer? How do you like it?

Yes it's still here but like the 4100 it rarely get used. When it does get played I use it with either my Mcintosh ML1C's or khorns which both benefit from it's help. It's effects are very subtle compared to the more common slider eq's.

• OleBoot
    OleBoot Posts: 2,065
    I've only ever owned one receiver - a Rotel RX-503 back in the mid 70's. Receivers weren't as big in Europe as they were here - if you wanted radio, you got a tuner to add to your integrated amp. I remember it sounding pretty good with the Mission (I think) speakers I had at the time, but in those days the sex and drugs rather lessened one's discernment of the quality of the rock and roll.

To wit:

https://youtu.be/2MqqIzqpMtg?t=47
  • Dawgfish
    Dawgfish Posts: 2,554
    edited November 2018
    Marantz 2220B I'm currently using for a headphone rig. It sounds great with my ZU Omens since they are highly efficient and the Marantz is only 20wpc. It's a very powerful 20 wpc. The headphone amp and phono stage are killer on this thing. l0hfxvnr9m8y.jpg
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    40-plus years in this hobby and I have NEVER owned a receiver! (Or a tuner.) :p Integrateds and separates only. Unless you count my big JVC ghetto-blaster I got in 1983. HAHAHAHA

DVD & SACD>CD>vinyl>cassettes>8-tracks>AM/FM
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    I sold a SX1050 for 50.00 too. :s

It turned on but it didn't put out sound. I never looked in it. It was dirtier than sin but I knew then how well they clean up. But a guy bought a bunch of stuff from me and in the end, I sold that to him too. :#

I paid 5.00 each for those two receivers from an estate sale. :o

If I had more money I'd have filled my car up and went back with my truck for the huge BOZAK speakers that were there. They were HUGE speakers!

The kids said there was some more stuff down in the basement but the stuff was SO dirty and dusty and I spent what I had pretty much, I passed on seeing what was down there for fear of catching whatever might've killed the father of these 2 boys.

Another regret! :s He might've have some McIntosh gear stacked up along with some Marantz's too.
    I'll NEVER KNOW. :(:'(:s

Don't look at me!
  • Yamaha Av-34 that I got for $25 at a second hand store. It was/is a faithful piece, sounded good and packed quite a punch. Since I have gone to separates.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    Realistic STA-2100 I had in the late 70s' or early mid 80's. BUT, I was young and probably on something during the time I had it LOL. I would actually like to hear it now against the Pioneer sc27 I have in the living room. The sc27 does a decent job for a receiver. A bit warmer then folks might think.
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • verb
    edited April 2019

8ojbf0rn11qt.png

Going through this thread @Tony M my man! One available right now in the FS section! :smile:
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    ljbjdnskzwxj.jpg

Carver 2000. Still have a 900 in the garage
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • gyosa
    gyosa Posts: 675
    Yamaha R-9....
    Bought it new in late ‘80’s from overseas AAFES catalog , when I was in the Air Force....
    125 watts / channel ... first few in auto class A... space heater when in auto class A
    Still have it ...
    Bk
    Parasound A21 , Yamaha wxc-50 , Polk SDA 1c’s ( my first love .. ) , Kimber Kable 4TC, Sony 42” - BEDROOM

B&K EX-442 ( it will go in my casket when I die ... ) , PS Audio 4.6 preamp ( old school , but it still jams on ... ) , Yamaha wxc-50 , Boston Acoustic voyager 7’s - POOL

PS Audio Stellar S300 , Eversolo DMP-A8 , Yamaha wxc-50 , Kimber Kable 4vs , Salk Supercharged Song towers ( difficult choice between these and my family if I had to choose ... 😩 ) , Sony XBR-A8F 65” OLED - DEN , MAIN RIG

Cambridge Audio 851n - sitting in the closet , for now

Onkyo TX-nr609 , Polk atrium 7 , Boston acoustic sound ware (4) , Boston acoustic sub , B&W center , Sharp 65” TV - PATIO

DAYENS AMPINO ( thanks Verb ! ) , KEiiD streamer ( this was only 60 bucks ?? ) , Polk atrium 8SDi’s - KID’s BEDROOM
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    My Marantz 2385

xcgyzaw3f6ok.jpg
    1gj0y8nb3fv9.jpg

My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • Tony M
    edited April 2019
    verb wrote: »

8ojbf0rn11qt.png

Going through this thread @Tony M my man! One available right now in the FS section! :smile:

I ALMOST posted the "I'll take it!" post but somehow just couldn't do it. :s:#SERIOUSLY!

Maybe it's because I JUST got that Huge Pioneer Quad a couple of months ago. I know it's not a 2 channel BUT come on, I can still use it as one... :D
    http://thevintagehifishack.com/1977-pioneer-qx-949a-kingquad/
    q6cm26onges3.png

• kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Kenwood Super Eleven.
  • WagnerRC
    WagnerRC Posts: 2,138
    I still have my 2385 too bought back in the 70,s. Best one ever.
  • WagnerRC
    WagnerRC Posts: 2,138
    And I have a sansui 9090 that I bought to compare. The 2385 kicks it ****. Both are legends.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    Does the Sansui AU20000 qualify?
    awfg9a73sjty.jpg
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    Does the Sansui AU20000 qualify?
    awfg9a73sjty.jpg

No. Has to fit into a 78 Chrysler Cordoba trunk to qualify. Not sure you'd get the lid closed with that thing....
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus