Health Insurance Costs

Options
I started my career paying about $150 a month for insurance. That slowly crept up until recently where premiums even for the cheapest plan available are $700 a month with $12k deductibles and nearly $15k in out of pocket max.

To me, this cost is just ridiculous. I'm considering just saving the $700 each month in an emergency fund and going without insurance. Has anyone else had any experience with this? Is this just the cost of healthcare now? I feel like I'm pissing away $10k each year when I could be using that money to build my own safety net.

Comments

• Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,520
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Yeah it’s getting expensive. We pay about 250$ a month for a moderately high deductible plan. I believe it is because of 2 things(among many):

Insurance companies want profits
    Covering the cost penalties of the under or uninsured

I think if we had a free-market system with less government involvement, I think you would see more reasonable rates.

Sad to say the fix ain’t gonna happen in our lifetimes.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Joey_V
    Options
    By the way you could just save your money for an emergency, it’s those catastrophes you gotta be worried about though.

And because insurance premiums are pre tax then you won’t be saving $10,000/y, you’re likely at $8400 minus your marginal tax bracket.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited November 2018
    Options
    This simply the way insurance works. It is your premiums that are paying for the care of the older people who are using it the most. But it is going to switch and you will be the one using it a lot for care needed.

It's nice to think you will actually put away 700.00 a month that you will supposedly be "saving", but what are the odds of you actually doing it? All it will take is one big accident and it's all over. How long before something comes up that you will need that money, or simply be tempted to get the latest toy you have been drooling after.

We all know that whatever you save, will be wiped out if something catastrophic happens, then you are in the hole for hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Not to mention the IRS will hit you HARD for not having any insurance, probably taking all of what you will supposedly save.

If you are single, go ahead, but if you are married with a family, you don't have the right to play Russian Roulette with them.
    Post edited by cfrizz on
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,981
    Options
    My wife broke her wrist and I tore my ACL within the same month. Those surgery’s are over 30k each. Sure, save your $700 a month and see how far that gets you when you break something...by the way we are both in excellent shape and health. Stuff happens...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • rooftop59
    edited November 2018
    Options
    never mind not worth it...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
  • Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    Options
    Not trying to make this a political or personal debate. Just curious what other people had experienced. Obviously health insurance is vastly different for many of us if the cheapest plan available to me is $700 a month and Joey has $250/month plan (maybe my employer just sucks?). Your story about surgeries is why I'm hesitant to drop insurance and why I asked. I look forward to hearing what other have gone through as well.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,057
    Options
    I'm paying around $140 per week which is very high IMO.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,044
    Options
    The penalties for not having health insurance goes away next year, so that's not really a factor in 2019. To my understanding.

The price of the plan definitely may boil down to your employer. We have a max out of pocket in network of 2500, 300 co pay for emergency room, etc and pay about half what you are paying. If I had a kid, I believe that balloons up to like 550 a month... (cant remember the exact numbers)
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • cfrizz
    Options
    My health insurance for just me for 2018 is $209.52 per month, plus add in dental, vision, and short term disability insurance and the cost is 275.16 a month coming out of my paycheck.

Next year UHS has decided to drop my HPHC insurance because it's too expensive for them, and I'm being forced to take a BC-TN plan.

My monthly cost will drop down to $153.42 for health insurance. All benefits added in I will be paying $217.98 a month.

I will save a whopping $57.18 a month, but here's the catch. I won't have to pay anything for my annual physical/mammogram, but if I keep up with my unplanned/unexpected 2-3 visits per year, it will cost me $50.00 PER VISIT!!! :#

I will also have to pay for any lab work, xrays, and other costs that come up.

So that $57.18 I'm supposedly saving each month will get wiped out pretty damn quick. This is something I never had to worry about with my HPHC plan.

But the plain fact is that if I have a bad accident, I will be covered and not end up in bankruptcy court unable to pay an astronomical hospital bill that I would end up taking with me to the grave.

I'm not egotistical enough to think "Oh that won't happen to me." My body has been showing me quite nicely that I am not immune to the effects of aging.

A simple fall a couple of years ago had me hurting for a couple of months with a trip to the ER at Beth Isreal hospital thrown in for good measure! Multiple xrays, ekgs, and all I had to pay for was the meds.

If it happens again it's going to cost me big time now.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    Options
    My wife works for a union, so I am her plan.

A lot of my coworkers waved the companies insurance and went to covered California. Two kids or more it's a lot less. They say they are saving $100 + a month with better coverage. I've wondered how this could be.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • Airplay355
    Options
    It certainly feels abysmal to me as well. It's a purely profit driven industry. For example, our employee group apparently used more in services than we paid in premiums (as a whole, lots of young families having children) so we've been warned by management that our premiums will increase significantly for 2019 (so I'll probably be paying closer to $850-$900 next year). We haven't been given specific quotes on plans yet but this is what has caused me to start exploring other options. Each year the costs go up by double digit percentages while wages stay the same or only slightly increase.

I just want to make sure I explore all my options and don't just fall in line because it's what used to be the norm with a system that seems to have worked much better in the past.
  • Joey_V
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    Our healthcare situation is abysmal. This is yet another issue my generation struggles with that was not there even 10 years ago. Obamacare almost broke me and my family when it went into effect.

Sad :(
  • Joey_V
    Options
    Hey OP

Here is my benefit layout, you can compare and contrast. I think it is company dependent.

ic70navhry9i.jpeg
  • monepolk
    monepolk Posts: 1,141
    Options
    When I started working I paid nothing. The company paid the insurance premiums the someone came up with the bright idea of Health Management companies that would bring companies cost down, but shopping for the best rates from the insurers, doctors, hospitals and pharmacies. I think the only way they brought companies cost down was to have employees contribute to the premiums. Now some of those management companies are selling insurance.
  • Dennis Gardner
    Options
    Going without is risky. I have $65k in hospital bills from my wife's brain tumor that took her down this past February. The hospital wrote off nearly $300k, so we feel fortunate. Neither of us have ever been hospitalized or missed any work other than having births of our kids. My part of insurance with my new job was going to cost us $1400/month and our choice was to eat and have a roof over our head, so here we are with the fruits of that choice. Think long and hard about it, as it only takes one event!
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,759
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    Our healthcare situation is abysmal. This is yet another issue my generation struggles with that was not there even 10 years ago.

Agreed.

But we put good money towards underground high-speed rail @ approx $120M per mile. Priorities are surely in order.

• smglbrth
    smglbrth Posts: 1,460
    Options
    Basically you have catastrophe insurance, that’s all it’s good for. My last employer was close to what you have. $13,500 deductible, after I met that I had to pay 50% of the rest of the bill, that was at over $400 a month. So..., you basically pay for everything else. My current employer is great but they are self insured...
    Remember, when you're running from something, you're running to something...-me
  • cfrizz
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Someone probably came up with the idea for HMOs because corporations discovered that health care costs were starting to sky rocket. Their employees, then the spouse, kids all started costing them more money then they figured.

Isn't it the name of the game for businesses to make money? If you are going to cost them money, expect for them to get it back one way or another.

Health care has improved immensely and we are living longer than ever managing what were once either fatal diseases or quickly life shortening that can now be managed through medications.

You can't have it both ways, and looking back at what once was is a exercise in futility.

If you insist on looking back at the good old days, then live like the good old days and just don't go to the doctor and die a lot sooner. But hey you won't have to pay those high premiums.

Hey Joey, would you want to open your own practice and treat these guys at the price they feel your services are worth?

How fast are those school loans coming down for you?
  • cfrizz
    Options
    Airplay355 wrote: »
    It certainly feels abysmal to me as well. It's a purely profit driven industry. For example, our employee group apparently used more in services than we paid in premiums (as a whole, lots of young families having children) so we've been warned by management that our premiums will increase significantly for 2019 (so I'll probably be paying closer to $850-$900 next year). We haven't been given specific quotes on plans yet but this is what has caused me to start exploring other options. Each year the costs go up by double digit percentages while wages stay the same or only slightly increase.

I just want to make sure I explore all my options and don't just fall in line because it's what used to be the norm with a system that seems to have worked much better in the past.

You just answered your own complaint why it has gotten so expensive. Young healthy employees who are having kids up the wazoo. You might not be using it, but your kids are, and they cost just as much medically if not more than you.

All this translates into you all costing your company money, which cuts into THIER profits. You are there to make them money, not lose them money by paying for all your kids health costs when they don't get anything out of that situation.

It's just business.
  • Airplay355
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Take a chill pill, I don't even have kids. I'm just trying to figure out if this is my only option or if I'm being stupid and getting hosed by paying for my companies insurance.
  • Airplay355
    Options
    Thanks Joey, that plan looks much nicer than what I'm paying for. I've got one of the bronze plans. We're a small private practice so we definitely don't have the bargaining power a larger practice/group or hospital system would have, which is why I'm frustrated with the price.
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited November 2018
    Options
    My homeowners insurance goes up every year because of fires and floods in other parts of the nation. Your health insurance goes up because of obesity, diabetes, smoking and alcohol related ailments in this country. Not to mention the free medical dealt out at our Emergency rooms. You don't think you pay for the uninsured, think again.

2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • Joey_V
    Options
    Insurance companies should not function as a for profit business, that’s my biggest beef.
  • Joey_V
    Options
    Airplay355 wrote: »
    Thanks Joey, that plan looks much nicer than what I'm paying for. I've got one of the bronze plans. We're a small private practice so we definitely don't have the bargaining power a larger practice/group or hospital system would have, which is why I'm frustrated with the price.

I feel fortunate, thx!

I chose the bronze as it costs me zero, last year I was silver. I max out HSA at $583 a month. Bronze vs silver for me has no difference except out of pocket total and total deductible but everything including pharmacy copay is same. I decided to try for 2019 saving the 245$/mo and sock it away in a separate account. Considering the difference between my bronze and silver plan is $2000 total out of pocket per year 8k -> $10k, then saving the $245/mo might even me out.
  • Joey_V
    Options
    cfrizz wrote: »
    Hey Joey, would you want to open your own practice and treat these guys at the price they feel your services are worth?

I think if everything was run the way it ought to be run without government interference, it would be cheaper for sure.

As for my student loans, I started with 300,000... oof.
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,066
    edited November 2018
    Options
    I pay $185 bi weekly for the wife and myself which includes eye care and dental with a deductible out of pocket of $1600. To get that price we have to have a BMI of 30 or better, be a non smoker, and have a respectable cholesterol level. If the 3 requirements are not met you pay more a lot more.

I also have a HSA account of $750 which can be used for medications and co-pays only. If it was not for the 3 credits it would cost a small fortune, 2 months before my physical I put a lot of time on my mountain bike, walk the dogs a lot to maintain a good BMI and cholesterol level, and I dont use tobacco products. It's like a witch hunt, but I can see thier point if you stay healthy you get rewarded for it.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • Airplay355
    Options
    That’s also a great price! I used to have the option of staying healthy for a discount but lost that when I switched jobs. I think now they just ask about tobacco use (I don’t smoke or vape or whatever is the new fad now).
  • rooftop59
    Options
    Sorry for the terse answer earlier @Airplay355.

I am fortunate to work for a large, private university. While my pay is not commensurate with my education, the benefits are excellent. The university also offers lots of health classes to faculty and staff (spin, F-45, yoga, etc.) for basically nothing if you get evaluated at the beginning and end of the semester and attend regularly. I am sure that data is used to negotiate lower rates, which can already be pretty low due to sheer volume.

Can your firm offer a high deductible plan with a HSA (health savings account)? I switched to that this last year, and its great if you have the cash to stash away every month. I have a family plan (spouse and children), I pay about $150 a month for the plan. The university puts $1200 a year into my HSA, and I max it out each month at about $600, which is tax free, saving me somewhere in the ballpark of $1800 a year in taxes. The deductible starts off much higher, but the out of pocket max is roughly the same when you factor in the tax savings. If you're healthy you save a buttload, if you have a year like we just had its basically a wash compared to the normal PPO.

If everyone at your firm agreed to the HDP with HSA, you could probably get a much lower rate. The advantage of the HSA is if you don't use it in the calendar year you can use it for big medical expenses down the road. We are counting on lots of braces lol. And at at certain point (like 62 maybe) you can use it for anything, so it could potentially really help with retirement expenses.

The other thing you have to consider is that even at my work where they contribute every month to my plan in addition to the HSA, I could be getting this as cash instead of a benefit, so I am "paying" about $2400 more a year (so about $4200 total, plus what I put into the HSA, which of course I might get to use for something else if we are very fortunate). So it looks a lot cheaper than it actually ends up being...
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • cfrizz
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Joey_V wrote: »
    cfrizz wrote: »

I think if everything was run the way it ought to be run without government interference, it would be cheaper for sure.

As for my student loans, I started with 300,000... oof.

Sorry Joey, but everyone likes to blame govt. interference, when the truth of the matter is that healthcare and everything else including the cost of your education has been going up for years.

Just think maybe if you got your MD degree 30 years ago, it might have only cost you 100,000. :)

My healthcare expenses have been climbing every year since I started working in 1981 when Ronald Reagan was president But I've only have started using it for more than 1 visit a year for the last say 7 years.

There were originally 76 million baby boomers born between 1946 - 1964. There are 65 million of us still alive, the oldest of which will turn 72 this year with the youngest turning 54. And how many of us still have parents alive needing more care?

That's a LOT of older-elderly people with rising health problems hitting the system. Even if they some how found a way to bring down costs it wouldn't last for very long with those kinds of numbers of people treat. Bottom line, cost are going to keep climbing!
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,100
    Options
    Joey_V wrote: »
    Insurance companies should not function as a for profit business, that’s my biggest beef.

Then for what reason should they even be in business? I remember when part of the reason for the collection plate at Sunday Mass was to fund Divine Redeemer Catholic Hospital, and the community took care of their own. Thanks to government, that hospital now only functions as a nursing home, because the church refused to budge on doing certain procedures that were against their faith. They never turned away anyone for lack of insurance, and weren't in it for the money either.

Today, I feel insurance and the like is used in much the same way as the tax code. It is there to restrict certain things and encourage others, all for the benefit of the few.

Nothing wrong with making a profit, a decent wage or free enterprise in general. The thing all of these things have in common, is the government seeking to control all of them.

The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson