Sony 900F

rpf65
rpf65 Posts: 2,127
On another discussion I was asked my initial impressions of this set. Not wanting to hijack that thread I debcided to start this one.

I bought this set after viewing this set next to quite a few sets, many higher end, and an equal number around its price point. I also read a lot of reviews, both professional and non-professional. Lastly, my previous set was a Panasonic st series.

Guess I’ll start with black levels. I personally think black level preformance gets a little to much emphasis. While important, it’s still a relative thing. When viewing this set to an OLED or Z9D, for example, the blacks aren’t as dark as the others. On the other hand, while watching Iron Man, they black bars above and below the scene wasn’t noticeable. I do use ambient light when watching movies, so that may have helped. In relation to the overall preformance of this set, black levels are very good.

I did notice a slight amount of blooming, at the scene in Iron Man, when looking from inside the cave to the exit, but changing the black level adjustment from high to medium, caused the blooming to become barely noticeable. Don’t misunderstand, there was a faint blooming issue, but it was less than what I experienced with my plasma set. All in all somebody who looks for, or is sensitive to the issue will notice it, but most people wouldn’t call it an issue even with the black level adjustment set to high.

The preformance of 1080 content was extremely close to the preformance of the plasma set, colors were much better on this set, but from my research, it is lower frame rate content that 4K sets have a hard time. So I also viewed The Matrix, which I have on standard DVD. I can honestly say that picture quality was excellent. The images were very clear but a little fuzzy.

Since this movie has a lot of dark scenes, I decided to see what the black level adjustments would do. There are two of them, and I ended up lowering them bothe to 25. This not only made the images appear more sharp and better defined, but also gave them a more 3D image quality.

Viewing OTA broadcast content, this set preforms very good to boarding excellent. Watching the Bears/Lions, I found no issues. The colors were vibrant, images sharp, and zero ghosting. I made the previous mentioned adjustments before the game, and found the picture to be acceptable.

At the other end of the spectrum, I found a station showing the old Flash Gordon series. This thing was made at the end of the 30’s, so definitely shot at 24 FPS, although when I checked the display reading it said 480. Anyway, the picture was really good. Images appeared sharp, and smooth. Like everything else I viewed, I saw no soap opera effect, but I may be less sensitive than many of you.

Sound quality is a non-issue for me. The only time the surround system is off in my home is in the morning when the news is on for 20 or so minutes while I get ready for work. So I have no comment on the sound. Like wise the built in apps. I haven’t used them, and never used them on my previous set. If I were going to stream content, I would probably get a dedicated device.

The movies were played on a Panasonic DMP-BDT320 connected with Shunyata Venom HDMI cables. Unfortunately I’m still waiting on the Panasonic 820, and didn’t see a reason to purchase a 4K player for temporary duty.

Comments

• verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Nice write up. So is she a keeper?
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • rpf65
    This set was on sale for $1600, and at that price, a definite keeper.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,475
    edited November 2018
    How is at setting up over the air channels? What I'm looking for is this. My old sanyo set i could make it look for OTA in quadrants and it would stack (keep) all she found. Think a clock start at 12 and run it to find channels as i move the antenna to 3 o'clock cutting that block into 4 sections and letting it search in each of those 4 quadrants. Then repeat 3 to 6 then 6 to 9 then 9 to 12 so going from north all the way back to north 360°. On my Panasonic plasma doing that would cancel out all the channels found on the last quadrant.
    So it was very hard to stack channels going around the clock so to speak and keep all that were found that whole 360°
    Does this make sense?
  • rpf65
    I understand your question.

On my Panny, for example, I could de-select channels I didn’t want to view without setting up a favorites. This set won’t allow me to do that. You can only create a favorites list, there are four of them, and select channels that have been scanned into that list, at least that’s the way I understand it.

As far as will the set save preselected stations that won’t scan in, after they are selected in the first place; I’m sorry but I can’t answer that question with certainty.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    I have a Sony XBR 65X900F for general TV watching, and a 75” Z9D for Blue Ray movies, preferably 4K. They both have great pictures, but the Z9D is obviously better. Although I have had the Z9D for around two years, it hasn’t been calibrated. I plan to get both sets professionally calibrated in the upcoming months. However, even stock they look fantastic.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,907
    I got one (65") yesterday for $1600 also at BB. I had family in so I haven't got a chance to play with it yet, but so far I like it a lot. I replaced a 10 year old Sony DLP.
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • rpf65
    BlueFox wrote: »
    I have a Sony XBR 65X900F for general TV watching, and a 75” Z9D for Blue Ray movies, preferably 4K. They both have great pictures, but the Z9D is obviously better. Although I have had the Z9D for around two years, it hasn’t been calibrated. I plan to get both sets professionally calibrated in the upcoming months. However, even stock they look fantastic.

I agree, the Z9D Has a superb picture, and was leaning heavily towards purchasing one. The reason I decided on the 900 was the pricing, even at a couple hundred more, I would probably lean towards the Z9D.
  • BlueFox
    LOL. I paid $7K for my Z9D. Oh well, it’s only money. :)

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • rpf65
    I currently have $150 worth of cables, connecting $120 BD player to my system. Seems like not being very bright when it comes to spending money is pretty common for people on this site.
  • BlueFox
    Not to side track the discussion, but I consider cables to be the foundation of any system; audio or video. I need to install a Shunyata power cable on my Z9D. Need to do that before it is calibrated.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • BlueFox
    Thanks. I bet it makes an obvious improvement. I spliced an AC connector into my previous 65” Hitachi TV, added a Shunyata power cable, and the picture improved.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    I have a Profile saved for the 900F for picture settings if you want to try them out.
    On a side note congrats on the 900f. The price they are selling for right now I would buy one or 2 in a heart beat.
    The Blacks on the 900F do not match the performance of a OLED, no LED does, it also doesn't match the performance of the Z9D, hardly no other LED does either so.
    But the blacks for a LED at that price point no other LED does a better job. No other LED at that price point is better then the 900F. I think it should get the 2018 best all around affordable TV on the market. ViZio I believe got that award but I disagree. It's only because of retail price. The price the 900F is going for right now it blows the Vizio out of the water.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • rpf65
    Appreciate it if you could send the settings. Always nice when somebody else volunteers to do the actual work.
  • Milito
    I would like to have them also if you don't mind.
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    Go into Picture and display – and then picture adjustments
    1. Set picture mode to custom
    2. Auto picture mode off
    3. Light Sensor off
    4. Go into Advanced Settings
    a. Brightness
    1. Set brightness to 12 (this is backlighting brightness, not black level brightness)
    2. set contrast and black level (brightness) using calibration disk or THX app on your phone with HDMI adapter
    3. Black adjust to off
    4. adv. Contrast enhancer to off
    5. auto local dimming set to High
    6. X-tended Dynamic Range set to High
    b. Color
    1. Set color temperature to expert 1
    2. set Live color to off
    3. set color and hue using calibration disk or THX app on your phone with HDMI adapter
    c. Clarity
    1. Reality Creation turn on auto
    2. Smooth Gradation to medium
    3. Random noise reduction off
    4. Digital noise reduction off

Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • Milito
    Thanks!
  • rpf65
    Thank you.

May have to add video to your sig.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    If those don't tickle your fancy, just google up calibration settings for your model. You may get a few different ones, but they will all put you in the ballpark. The rest is just preference tweaking.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,010
    Thinking about getting this model...you still happy with the purchase?
  • rpf65
    Yes.

It’s taken a little while to get used to the differences between plasma and LED, and I actually think I like it more now than when I first got it. Recently got a Panasonic 820 BD player, and the combination is truly impressive.
  • BlueFox
    I find myself watching movies on my 900F more than on the Z9D. Not so much because the picture, or sound, is better, but because I am more comfortable in the 900F’s room and chair. LOL. :)

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    BlueFox wrote: »
    I find myself watching movies on my 900F more than on the Z9D. Not so much because the picture, or sound, is better, but because I am more comfortable in the 900F’s room and chair. LOL. :)

Sounds like you need a furniture upgrade in the main TV room!
  • BlueFox
    Yes. I know. Its always something. :)

Three 20 amp circuits.