Input on Vincent SP-331

I need a new amp to drive my Thiel CS 1.5 speakers and could pick up a Vincent SP-331 for $600. I would be pairing this with the Dared SL2000a tube preamp. Alternatively, I could buy a Carver TFM-4.0 for $400.

Given that I plan to upgrade whatever I buy, is the Vincent or Carver my best option?

Comments

• marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,862
    Check with @voltz on the vincent gear.
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    Without hearing the Vincent SP-331, it is quite a bit newer over the carver. The carver if it hasn't been recapped yet, it will need to be to get it up to spec.

The Vincent is a Hybrid and has some good reviews. Would you happen to know if it is the MKII or the regular one? I would lean toward the Vincent if that were my only 2 choices.
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • erniejade wrote: »
    Without hearing the Vincent SP-331, it is quite a bit newer over the carver. The carver if it hasn't been recapped yet, it will need to be to get it up to spec.

The Vincent is a Hybrid and has some good reviews. Would you happen to know if it is the MKII or the regular one? I would lean toward the Vincent if that were my only 2 choices.
    It’s the original, not the mk version.
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    edited November 2018
    As a Vincent Fan & I have been using one for years and now it has been replaced as main unit for a Modwright amplifier.

I say grab the Vincent as I would not sell mine for $600 as for that price I'd just keep it.

If you Vincent even needs any work call Audio Advisor they fix mine once and put in new tubes ( which are soldiered in) for around $110 and that included the shipping cost back to me after I payed to have it ship to them.

I have use my Vincent with a Vincent preamp for years, Though I did hook up my Dares Sl2000 it it a few times and they played very well together. At 150 WPC it will handle most speakers and even 4 ohms very well as i use it with my SDA's when I playing my SDA's

p.s. mine is the original SP-331 also :) but my preamp is the Vincent MKII version.
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • thejazzmarauder
    thejazzmarauder Posts: 16
    edited November 2018
    Thanks @voltz I think I’ll pull the trigger then. Any obvious upgrades I should consider?
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    Was this the one for sale on CL? Did you get it?
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    edited November 2018
    No Upgrade needed, as the Tubes are soldiered in. but I really like the Vincent sound as many other I know have here on the forum.

I started with the cheapest preamp at 1st and after liking it I upgraded to the MKII version but never felt I need to upgrade the amplifier from the original :)

they are closing out the Vincent stuff for new models.

here is what the newer SP-332 looks like
    https://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=VISP332

BTW I have the Vincent PHO-700 also and love it as my phono amplifier paired with a SUT.
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    edited December 2018
    I run the Vincent SA-T1 preamp and have the PHO-700 phono in my 2 channel I like the Vincent Brand. I'm sure the OP would be happy adding that SP-331 to his system
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)