Audio Stories

Comments

• EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,525
    @DSkip

That’s a cool story about wireworld! I’m still gonna have to give their power cables a shot again at some point.....

Their USB cable seriously interests me but I have no use for them yet.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,782
    FMalitz wrote: »
    I may have inspired this thread so I will open with an outrageous story. Before I begin, I suppose I should provide a profile:
    I'm the founder of Onkyo USA, established Integra here, and just finished 17 years with Yamaha. I'm the only independent representative in history to handle Onkyo, Integra and Denon at the same time.

Despite that mundane background, I have a heavy high-end history so I never got rich! I made a living with mid-fi but my passion was rooted in expensive high-performance products. I participated in the launch or relaunch of the following brands (this is not all): Dahlquist, Apogee, Focal (JM Lab), AR, Sonus Faber, Pro-Ject, REL, Meitner, ELAC, Thorens, Trinnov and too many more to name. I've also represented brands from A to Z-- including Advent to Zenith. I also maintained a rep firm handling around a dozen lines you all know, I maintain a consultation business. I build and sell guitars. I write for guitar magazines. I'm a working professional musician and I'm a partner in the current Bob Carver company. It was through the latter that I was introduced to this forum via a discussion comparing the beautiful McIntosh MC 275, to our own Bob Carver 275. I started to tell stories responding to that thread (like the three Onkyos) so someone started this thread and sent me over. I'm a 50 year veteran of the industry and I love it.

Now, despite my earlier retail experience, which I will tell you about later, on to my first audio story as a factory guy that you might find entertaining:
    I had been working with BASF on recording tape. I visited the coating plant in Massachusetts. The machine is like a giant printing press-- putting a slurry of iron oxide on what amounts to rolls of saran wrap! It must be 50 feet long and 20 feet high. It takes some serious fine-tuning to get it right. You need to polish the surface of the tape to improve tape to head contact for best high-frequency performance and the least amount of abrasion. If you polish too much, the tape sticks to the head as it passes and can cause squealing – – mechanical as well as electrical. The lab coat wearing German engineer, with a very thick accent, explained to me that it takes a year to sort out the machine. "A year?" "What exactly does that mean?", I asked. "It means we make defective tape for a full year". Incredulous, I then asked, "this machine runs 24 hours a day: what you do with all that defective tape?" He said, "we sell it to the Americans; you people don't know the difference".

All of the tape was defective, they knew it, they didn't care, and they went down in flames before my very eyes. They went back to producing dyes and chemicals for industry. I hated it there and wanted to return to real audio.

Here's what I did (this could be a lesson for you youngsters working at hi-fi stores). In those days, reps came by to service the accounts. They drove fancy cars, knew more about the products that we did, and they were our heroes. Since I admired them, I made sure they knew that I was enthusiastically supporting their products and, as the months unfolded, friendships were created. Networking is terribly important in any industry, but it's particularly effective if you're sincere. I loved those guys; one of them gave me the very first Empire Scientific gold tonearm for my 14th birthday!

So here I am, desperately wanting to leave the Germans, and I made a list of my 10 favorite guys who might be in a position to help me. This was the early 1976. From this, I had three interviews. One was with Sony who had been trying to recruit me for two years. Serendipitously my Sony contact, a truly great guy named Les Pollock, told me he needed me right then and made an appointment for me to come in. When I showed up for the interview, I was told he was called to Japan suddenly and my interview would be held with a Mr. Pappas. Well, Pappas didn't know me. In an earlier time, I was one of the top retail audio salesman in the state of Illinois. McIntosh took me to their factory and wined and dined me. JBL built special speakers just for me, with my own finish. I was for a well-known here. But the Sony guy, as arrogant as the Germans, told me he didn't like my tie and insist that I shave off my beard. I told my son had never seen me without a beard and I have no intention of shaking it off for Sony, stood up to walk out, shook hands with him, and told him this: "I promise you you will know me down the road".

When I had my Onkyo interview, their managers from Japan foolishly depended on their knowledge of English and did not bring an interpreter. They asked me if I knew any dealers in the United States. I lied of course, desperate for the job, and told them I knew EVERY dealer in the United States, I knew their wives, and I knew the names of their children. Their eyes popped out of their heads and they offered me the job. That turned out to be fortunate for us both. I doubled the business every year. They made posters of me in Japan as kind of a transformer audio monster guy and stuck the posters in the product cartons as if anyone in the United States cared. They paid me more money than I asked for and in one year, I went from being broke to buying my first home and I kicked the living daylights out of Sony in the receiver business by the time Onkyo USA was barely in existence for three years! Those were great times for me. I was 28 years old.

4gdvasysas1w.gif
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    LOL.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,089
    You owe me a new bottle of Jefferson’s Reserve Jesse. Do you have any idea how painful 30 year old whiskey is when it comes out your nose? I can’t look at that bottle again without crying.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • F1nut wrote: »
    I may have inspired this thread so I will open with an outrageous story. Before I begin, I suppose I should provide a profile:
    I'm the founder of Onkyo USA, established Integra here, and just finished 17 years with Yamaha. I'm the only independent representative in history to handle Onkyo, Integra and Denon at the same time.

Despite that mundane background, I have a heavy high-end history so I never got rich! I made a living with mid-fi but my passion was rooted in expensive high-performance products. I participated in the launch or relaunch of the following brands (this is not all): Dahlquist, Apogee, Focal (JM Lab), AR, Sonus Faber, Pro-Ject, REL, Meitner, ELAC, Thorens, Trinnov and too many more to name. I've also represented brands from A to Z-- including Advent to Zenith. I also maintained a rep firm handling around a dozen lines you all know, I maintain a consultation business. I build and sell guitars. I write for guitar magazines. I'm a working professional musician and I'm a partner in the current Bob Carver company. It was through the latter that I was introduced to this forum via a discussion comparing the beautiful McIntosh MC 275, to our own Bob Carver 275. I started to tell stories responding to that thread (like the three Onkyos) so someone started this thread and sent me over. I'm a 50 year veteran of the industry and I love it.

Now, despite my earlier retail experience, which I will tell you about later, on to my first audio story as a factory guy that you might find entertaining:
    I had been working with BASF on recording tape. I visited the coating plant in Massachusetts. The machine is like a giant printing press-- putting a slurry of iron oxide on what amounts to rolls of saran wrap! It must be 50 feet long and 20 feet high. It takes some serious fine-tuning to get it right. You need to polish the surface of the tape to improve tape to head contact for best high-frequency performance and the least amount of abrasion. If you polish too much, the tape sticks to the head as it passes and can cause squealing – – mechanical as well as electrical. The lab coat wearing German engineer, with a very thick accent, explained to me that it takes a year to sort out the machine. "A year?" "What exactly does that mean?", I asked. "It means we make defective tape for a full year". Incredulous, I then asked, "this machine runs 24 hours a day: what you do with all that defective tape?" He said, "we sell it to the Americans; you people don't know the difference".

All of the tape was defective, they knew it, they didn't care, and they went down in flames before my very eyes. They went back to producing dyes and chemicals for industry. I hated it there and wanted to return to real audio.

Here's what I did (this could be a lesson for you youngsters working at hi-fi stores). In those days, reps came by to service the accounts. They drove fancy cars, knew more about the products that we did, and they were our heroes. Since I admired them, I made sure they knew that I was enthusiastically supporting their products and, as the months unfolded, friendships were created. Networking is terribly important in any industry, but it's particularly effective if you're sincere. I loved those guys; one of them gave me the very first Empire Scientific gold tonearm for my 14th birthday!

So here I am, desperately wanting to leave the Germans, and I made a list of my 10 favorite guys who might be in a position to help me. This was the early 1976. From this, I had three interviews. One was with Sony who had been trying to recruit me for two years. Serendipitously my Sony contact, a truly great guy named Les Pollock, told me he needed me right then and made an appointment for me to come in. When I showed up for the interview, I was told he was called to Japan suddenly and my interview would be held with a Mr. Pappas. Well, Pappas didn't know me. In an earlier time, I was one of the top retail audio salesman in the state of Illinois. McIntosh took me to their factory and wined and dined me. JBL built special speakers just for me, with my own finish. I was for a well-known here. But the Sony guy, as arrogant as the Germans, told me he didn't like my tie and insist that I shave off my beard. I told my son had never seen me without a beard and I have no intention of shaking it off for Sony, stood up to walk out, shook hands with him, and told him this: "I promise you you will know me down the road".

When I had my Onkyo interview, their managers from Japan foolishly depended on their knowledge of English and did not bring an interpreter. They asked me if I knew any dealers in the United States. I lied of course, desperate for the job, and told them I knew EVERY dealer in the United States, I knew their wives, and I knew the names of their children. Their eyes popped out of their heads and they offered me the job. That turned out to be fortunate for us both. I doubled the business every year. They made posters of me in Japan as kind of a transformer audio monster guy and stuck the posters in the product cartons as if anyone in the United States cared. They paid me more money than I asked for and in one year, I went from being broke to buying my first home and I kicked the living daylights out of Sony in the receiver business by the time Onkyo USA was barely in existence for three years! Those were great times for me. I was 28 years old.

4gdvasysas1w.gif

sorry. I'm out.
  • nooshinjohn
    Having a sense of humor goes a long way here....
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    That’s it John, I’m out too.
  • nooshinjohn
    joecoulson wrote: »

Shall I show you to the door, or can you find it all by yourself? :p;)

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,021
    edited November 2018
    A sense of humor and thumbs are the two distinguishing traits of humanity.
    This was well documented in the 1960s.

https://youtu.be/OVfr2vTvt68

jkg08glifgmf.png

50963giutghi.png
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Having a sense of humor goes a long way here....

...and some thick skin. You'd think anyone who's been in audio, on audio forums most their life would have learned that lesson. Some learn it in a matter of months.

Can't take this stuff personally people, it's just banter, on the internet no less. Stick around Fmalitz, while you may be on the receiving end of some jokes today, tomorrow you may give as good as you get. I/we enjoy some of the back stories you have too. Very informative.

HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb
    F1nut wrote: »

4gdvasysas1w.gif

Now if you turned that contraption around and put a longer arm on it..... :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    d0thufxal9z3.gif
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,549

Pick up some beer and popcorn while you're out Joe. :p
  • Dabutcher
    Dabutcher Posts: 2,591
    @FMalitz . I personally enjoy your stories. I have only been learning about audio for 20 years. Enjoying it all my life . I have learned a lot and spent lots of money because of this crew here. We are family. We help each other on our audio journey. Sometimes our music is all we have to get through the day. Hang around.
    Love yours,
    D
    MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”
  • OleBoot
    OleBoot Posts: 2,104
    tonyb wrote: »
    4gdvasysas1w.gif

Now if you turned that contraption around and put a longer arm on it..... :)

I know someone that probably wouldn't turn it around.
  • joecoulson
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

Pick up some beer and popcorn while you're out Joe. :p

Roger that
    Brb
  • nooshinjohn
    Leinenkugel Wisconsin Amber Ale please. B)

• I'm running low on French onion dip (Prairie Farms vintage)
    Sal Palooza
  • joecoulson
    edited November 2018
    Anyone elts elts?
  • nooshinjohn
    Omaha Steaks Filet Mignon, wrapped with bacon.

• txcoastal1
    Party on that boat next spring :)
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

• joecoulson
    Come on out. Be glad to take fellow polkies out on Lake Lanier
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,678
    Lake Lanier

Named after B.O.C. keyboardist Allen Lanier, of course. :)
  • pitdogg2

Concrete shoes included? :#:#
  • txcoastal1

leave Tony at the dock and we're good

• pitdogg2
    txcoastal1 wrote: »

Oooo that'll leave a mark :D:D:D
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 wrote: »

Oooo that'll leave a mark :D:D:D

Leave him a slice of pie and a cannoli and we're good ;)

• tonyb
    Say what ? Leave me at the dock ?

Tony is pretty darn good at driving boats. Always bring it back in tip top shape too....few less passengers, but the boat would be in excellent shape. :p
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's