PARASOUND HCA-1500A or Outlaw 5000?

Milito
Milito Posts: 1,907
edited November 2018 in Electronics
Question, I have a 3:1 setup. If I got the Parasound would I notice a big difference having the 1500 driving my 2 speakers (S55's) and my 2070 Yamaha driving the center S30 or would I be better off get the 5 channel Outlaw to run all of my 3 speakers when watching movies or TV. What would give me better sound?

Needles to say the used Parasound would be the cheaper route to go, but if the Outlaw would be better I'll try to find a used one or maybe get a new one.

Sorry for all of the questions about amps, but I don't really have any experience with them.

Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.

Comments

• rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    Parasound is the much better amp. Your center doesn’t really need more power. Get the parasound. If you decide it really does t make enough difference then you will have no problem reselling it.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • The parasound is the better amp. But I like all my speakers to be powered from the same amp or amps. There will be a difference in sound characteristics from the L/R and the center, if you use the AVR and a two channel amp. For me it’s distracting although maybe not to everyone.

You’ll definitely like the two channel better for stereo/music.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Your speakers are pretty easy to drive, even with an AVR, so I don't think your going to see that much of an improvement in sound. There will be some, but it isn't going to be the game changer you may wish it to be.

Your center is small too, and an easy drive for a AVR also, so amping that up is kind of a waste. If you get an amp, I'd pick the Parasound of the 2 choices.

Before you get an amp though, maybe take a look at your cables and source your using for music first if you want better sound....then look at amps.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    That’s a really nice, powerful avr. Small, easy to drive center with that avr, an amp is a waste imo.

I agree with tony, the difference will be there with the parasound, but it won’t be massive. Definitely a subjective question whether or not it’s worth the upgrade.

What are you trying g to accomplish? More warmth, more detail, better bass, something else? That might help us determine whether the amp is the best solution.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • Milito
    edited November 2018
    Sound like the Parasound would be the better choice based on the responses. What would be a good price range for one.

Instead of the amp would I be better off going with a better sub like a HSU VTF-2 which are on sale now?

As far as sound, better detail and bass if possible with my speakers.

As far as music source, CD's, zip drive with Flac songs on it and Pandora which I understand isn't high quality (my wife usually listens to it).
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • tonyb
    edited November 2018
    The better subwoofer would help with the bass. Detail....depends, what is your source for music ? What speaker cables are you using ? How is the receiver set for music ? Pure direct mode, dolby, etc ? How is the system set up in the receiver ? Speakers set to large or small, crossover ? Channel levels ?

First things first, lets make sure the receiver is setup to get the most out of what you have already before moving forward.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Milito
    edited November 2018
    Tony crossovers is set to 80 on speakers and sub, speakers set to small, 2 channel for music. See my signature for my system. Music sounds the best playing my songs (Flac) on my zip drive into USB port.

Speaker cables I'm using: https://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=AQT4NF

Thanks.
  • tonyb
    edited November 2018
    I can't see sigs...anyway, What are the channel levels at ? Return them to 0 and we'll start from there . Try setting the speakers to large and see if that makes a difference. Should be a setting for large plus sub. How is the sub hooked up btw, LFE ? Your using the subwoofer out on the back of the receiver ?

Cables are good, do you have the metal straps on between the top and bottom posts in the back of the speakers ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Milito
    edited November 2018
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Polk S55, S30, PSW505, Sony BPD-S3200, Technics PD867, Audio-Technica AT-LP60, AudioQuest Type 4 Speaker Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Amp, Sony KDS-50A3000.

I tried large and it didn't sound as good. Sub hooked up to LFE. speakers set to zero, sub -4 on speaker settings in speaker menu, + 3 in tone control menu on options. Subwoofer out on the back of the receiver, yes.
  • Definitely the HCA-1500, I own one (although not in use) and consider it very good at what it does. You should pay no more than 400-450 for a unit in excellent condition.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • Milito
    Thanks for the input on the HCA-1500.
  • tonyb
    edited November 2018
    The receiver should give you options for every input you have connected to it. Your cd input, and your USB input are your 2 music inputs your using. Check the settings on those inputs and make sure they are correct.

The crossover on the back of the subwoofer should be set to it's highest value, since your using the crossover in the receiver. That way you won't have double filtering going on....if you haven't done that already. Have you tried spinning cd's in the BRP vs the cdp ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Milito
    edited November 2018
    Thanks Tony, I have them connected to the audio inputs and I have set the sub crossover to the highest setting on the back of the sub.
  • tonyb
    edited November 2018
    Something is amiss here, with those speakers set to small, you should have plenty of detail, and plenty of power from the receiver. If your using bare wire ends on the speaker cables, make sure at either end none of the plastic coating on the cables is caught inside the connecting posts. I'd also set that subwoofer level from -4 back to 0, and adjust using the volume control on the back of the sub.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Milito
    edited November 2018
    I'm using banana plugs. I have detail, but would like more bass and detail. I may be at the max of my current setup, since I'm new at this I don't know. I believe I have everything connected correctly as I have done a lot of reading on my 2070 and how to set it up.

Setting the Subwoofer level to -4, and adjusting using the volume control on the back of the sub to around 1:00 has given me the best sub response.

That is why I was asking if a separate amp would be worth it or should I upgrade my sub.

It could be my hearing, although I could tell a different in the different setups Skip had at his house when I went to the meet in Oct.

I'm going to add an amp or upgrade my sub for Christmas.
  • tonyb
    edited November 2018
    To be fair, your comparing apples and oranges. Skip has some really nice gear floating around his house. While the Sigs are nice speakers, they aren't going to hold up to the Ushers or other speaks Skip has, plus his gear/cables is miles better than a receiver.

Here's your problem with adding an amp. Your speakers are easy to drive to begin with. Add to that you have them set to small, which requires even less power because the subwoofer is doing all the heavy lifting.

If that is how you intend to keep it, a better subwoofer might give you a better bang for your buck than an amp will.

If you ever want to set it up as a 2 channel system, that's a whole other road to go down. Using a HT receiver for music is only going to get you so far.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Milito
    edited November 2018
    Thanks again for all of your input Tony, I really appreciate it.

I understand that his gear is miles above mine. One of the reasons I went to the meet besides meeting people was to see if my hearing could tell the difference in different set ups. I started wear hearing aids about 2 years ago and I didn't want to spend the money on any upgrades if I wouldn't be able to tell a difference. Not to say my setup will ever approach the setups he has.

So it sounds like I need to get a better Subwoofer first, then decide what other changes I need in the future. I really don't have any other rooms suitable for a 2 channel setup so my system is always going to be a trade off between the two.
  • tonyb
    I wear a hearing aid as well my friend, so I know your dilemma. In my opinion, your money is better spent, at this point anyway, on the better subwoofer.

When all is said and done, it may just be the Polk Sigs, just aren't your cup of tea. Nothing wrong with that either.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    I agree on a better sub way before an amp. The VTF-2 is a lot better sub than your 505.

Get the sub in and run your AVR auto calibration to dial it all in. Chang speakers to small C/O to 80hz and enjoy

Only way I would add an amp to your system is if you're going to 5.1.2 setup. Running 3 speakers you AVR can do it no problem.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • I suggest better sub, amp, source, preamp and then a full range mains change. This was the method I took when I decided that my goal was to get better 2 channel within my HT room. Each change should move you forward in your final goal, but you shouldn't ever buy a piece that dead ends or requires upgrading quickly. Look for power and signature sound in an amp and features like an HT pass-thru for your preamp.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    I am going to be the odd one out and suggest getting the parasound. The vast majority of tower speakers benefit from more power regardless of how easy they are to drive.

The 1500A showed me what my speakers were truly capable of once they were hooked to it.

I would get the amp, then start saving for a SVS sub.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • Milito
    Thanks everyone.