Karma time

tonyb
tonyb Posts: 32,902
edited November 2018 in The Clubhouse
Yes people, it's that time again. Up for Karma is a set of ERA D-5's, in Piano black. Great for smaller rooms or even desktop, great bass response and overall a great sounding little speaker. Check the reviews. These were graciously Karma'd to me, so in the spirit of paying it forward, they are up again for Karma.

What do you have to do to win these ? Simple, say in and just tell me why you think you deserve to win them, and where you may have a need for them. No numbers to pick, no guessing how many Tubes Brock has stashed under his bed, nor the amount of Christmas cards John has sent Bob Carver over the years.

I'll pick a winner next Friday the 16th. Good luck.
HT SYSTEM-
Sony 850c 4k
Pioneer elite vhx 21
Sony 4k BRP
SVS SB-2000
Polk Sig. 20's
Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
Grant Fidelity tube dac
B&k 1420
lsi 9's

Comments

• lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    :) In....
    They're small and I can roam from town to town with them. Wooooooo!!
    You rock, Tony!
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited November 2018
    sooo -- are these smallish? (I don't know how big your desk might be, you know?)
    If so, IN, if you please!

First part's easy: I in no way deserve to win them. I don't deserve to win anything -- but I feel like Sally Field at the Oscars when I'm on this forum. :)

What would I do with them? I would put them atop the cabinet in our "den" or "library" or whatever you might call it, in which our (ahem, CRT) TV lives. We never watch TV, but we do use the two-channel hifi that co-occupies the cabinet space with the aforementioned CRT TV. The speakers for this hifi? A pair of dump-find CSW Seventeens. They're not terrible, and the size is right (and the cosmetics are suitably unobtrusive) -- but it would be nice to have a better sounding pair of speakers in there.

There are a couple of spare loudspeakers here (ahem) but, amazingly (ahem) no smaller ones.

So, that's what I would do with these. If I won them. Which I don't deserve to.

Thank you.
    Thank you very much.
    Thank you.

11479977995_21bc24d690_b.jpgDSC_7484_ by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

20082332145_9068bb39de_b.jpgCSW17 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
  • mhardy6647
    lightman1 wrote: »
    :) In....
    They're small and I can roam from town to town with them. Wooooooo!!
    You rock, Tony!

You could bolt a stainless steel stip to them and wear them like ungainly headphones, in fact.

:|
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,084
    Nice impersonation of Sally Field…
    And the winner is ... momentary pause . . . Dr. H for his originality!
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • mhardy6647
    I stopped short of saying you really like me. :|
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    Cool Karma @tonyb!

Not in, I already got an awesome Karma from you!
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • Sweet Karma Tony.

I'm in, I always struggle with the why I deserve statements as that is in the eye of the beholder and there are many that deserve more than I.

How I would use them: To be honest as much as I hate to say it my SDA2Bs just aren't doing it for me, my listening room is MUCH too small and I am at the point where I might just put them away and get some bookies to match up with my little pioneer sub. So they would become my main 2 channel stereo for a year or two until I have the chance to get a new place and move the SDAs around. As much as I LOVE my 2Bs listening has become a chore of "What sounds off now" and it has been killing my immersion lately.

Good luck to all!
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • @mhardy6647 Just because you asked and I can actually inform YOU of something for once. Dimensions for the speakers are 11" by 7.1" by 10.4
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,491
    I'm in! I don't deserve them, but they would be a perfect match to
    my piano black setup in studio 2. Thanks for the chance at them!
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    Nice Karma,

I would give a big spill on how this poor SoCal guy could use them. I thought about it for a minute, I'm not in. I would use them on my desk at work, be a waste of good speakers.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • pumpkinman
    pumpkinman Posts: 9,497
    In please :smile:

Why do I deserve them ?? because I’m the Pumpkin King damn-it

6pyv8hif6ymv.jpeg
    lmivdewpnb28.jpg

Because I am The Pumpkinking

A Kind Word Is An Easy Gift To Give
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Well, I never even heard of the ERA line of speakers before! Doing a little search (Google is now tracking me thanks Tony), they look absolutely exquisite!
    z6hgxdgckiks.png
    6 moons has a decent review:
    http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/era/era.html

I think they would pair quite nicely with my upstairs setup. They would of course supplant the Polk TSi200's of which, I would pay it forward with another karma.

This forum is all about sharing, not only knowledge, but equipment! To help others in their journey!

The thought of these little beauties, with my Dayens Ampino integrated and newly acquired Tjoe Njoeb 99 tube CD spinner, would certainly give the rig a chance to show what it really can do. The limiting factor, IMO, is now the current speakers!

Another step in my journey!

Thanks Tony for such a generous karma! Good luck to everyone!
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    Not in but wanted to say great karma!!
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    Cool karma, not in.
  • Yeah I can’t say I deserve the karma. I certainly haven’t been as good of a club member as some of y’all, but I do try to read and “like” all of your posts B) and I have been a pretty good boy this year, all things considered. I sold off all the Emotiva gear, got my learn on, tried things for myself and offered lots of potentially bad advice to new forum members :#
    I do happen to be on the hunt for a small bookshelf speaker. It’s getting that time of year to break out all the Christmas music and this year I would like to bring the turntable to the family room to play all my old hand me down Christmas albums for family again. I’ve been eyeing the lil Cambridge audio Topaz integrated for this setup and a some small bookies, so I could definitely put them to use.

In please, I don’t deserve them but I would re-karma them when it’s time to move on.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    In please. I don’t deserve them, but I would certainly put them to good use.
    I want something a little bigger than my Monitor Audio R90s, cause they don’t dig nearly deep enough for near field monitors in 2.0, and I don’t want another sub takinf up space.. If I got these I’d pass the Monitors on to my parents for their TV in the bedroom. My mom hates the way it sounds but won’t tolerate anything bigger than the Monitors.
    Thanks! And great karma! :)
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    edited November 2018
    Great Karma for sure! B):p

I deserve them since I've never owned a set of ERA speakers before or even heard them. I've tried hard to own every make and model but I fell behind 10 years ago from health reasons. BUT I'M BACK NOW. :D

I have just enough space left for a set of small bookies SOMEWHERE out there. :s

Great sounding and $$$$ bookies you're Karmaing from the rave reviews I read on them.

I think the new owner will thoroughly enjoy their looks and sound.

Again, GREAT KARMA Tony! ;)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Not in because I don't need or deserve them.

But a great karma from a great guy.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • Thorton
    Thorton Posts: 1,324
    Not in. Someone has a higher need than me for these. Great Karma Tony!
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________
    Ethernet Filter: GigaFOILv4 with Keces P3 LPS
    Source: Roon via ethernet to DAC interface
    DAC: Bricasti M1SE
    Pre/Pro: Marantz AV8805
    Tube Preamp Buffer: Tortuga TPB.V1
    Amp1: Nord One NC1200DM Signature, Amp2: W4S MC-5, AMP3: W4S MMC-7
    Front: Salk SoundScape 8's, Center: Salk SoundScape C7
    Surround: Polk FXIA6, Surround Back: Polk RTIA9, Atmos: Polk 70-RT
    Subs: 2 - Rythmik F25's
    IC & Speaker Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, Signal Cable
    Power Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, PS Audio
    Room Treatments: GIK Acoustics
  • Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,310
    Not in, but very nice karma
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Not in. Great Karma Tony. Rest assured, they'll be well packed in concrete for shipping.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • Faustin
    Faustin Posts: 1,149
    Not i, but very nice karma!
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    Not in, but awesome karma. Great gesture!
  • oldrocker
    oldrocker Posts: 2,590
    Not in. Nice karma Mr. Tony.

• indyhawg
    indyhawg Posts: 1,633
    Not in, but great karma Tony.
  • Nhpenn
    Nhpenn Posts: 56
    Why do I deserve them? not sure I do, I don’t post a lot, but I’m pretty much always here. I would probably use them as studio monitors (I know not exactly what they where designed for but Ive been toying with the idea of a home stuido and these woulld be a good start). I do think it cool (if not a little weird) that you all just give stuff away here, like expensive stuff, stuff I would normally try to sell on eBay or something. That being said if I win these and after a few months realize I’m not/can’t use them I’ll put them back up here as another karma.

Thank you for the chance.

P.S. I didn’t see a post limit but if there is one I’ll be happy to withdraw.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Tony M wrote: »
    Great Karma for sure! B):p

I deserve them since I've never owned a set of ERA speakers before or even heard them. I've tried hard to own every make and model but I fell behind 10 years ago from health reasons. BUT I'M BACK NOW. :D

I have just enough space left for a set of small bookies SOMEWHERE out there. :s

Great sounding and $$$$ bookies you're Karmaing from the rave reviews I read on them.

I think the new owner will thoroughly enjoy their looks and sound.

Again, GREAT KARMA Tony! ;)

I agree. Tony deserves them!
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • trav0810
    trav0810 Posts: 1,056
    Great Larma, not IN, but good luck to the rest of you!
    The difference between genius and stupidity is; genius has its limits.” -Albert Einstein

Sony Playstation 3 for CD and Streaming
    Thorens TD320
    Modified Carver C-1
    Carver TFM 42 and 45 Amplifiers
    Polk RTA15TL Speakers w/Decato mods
    White Lightning Moonshine DIY Speaker Cables and Interconnects
  • In please.
    I need an upgrade over my sound bar hooked to pc at work, as it cannot play true stereo in my attempts to over take my coworkers same 13 country songs all the day long.
    I will also pay it forward and karma something soon.
    Thanks !
    Great Karma and congrats early to whomever wins this great gift !
    Happy up n coming Turkey day !
    B)
    Onkyo TX-NR636
    Main - polkaudio Monitor 60's
    Center - polkaudio CSI A6
    Sub - polkaudio PSW10
    Sub2 - polkaudio PSW505
    Surrounds - polkaudio Monitor 40 series II
    Front Height - polkaudio Monitor 40's
    Audio Outdoors
    Pioneer VSX 406 - polkaudio Atrium 5
    Shed
    Sony junker str-dn2010 with Sony bookshelf floor models and polkaudio R150's
    Shed 2
    Nakamichi soundbar
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Not in, but very nice karma Tony! :):)
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2