New amp question?

I’ll be going to a 11.3.4 setup in my new theater room soon. My question is my current setup will be the Anthem AVM60 and a Outlaw 7900 for seven of the channels. I’m looking for a amp to drive the .4 channels but finding a 4 channel amp is next to impossible. I figured if I purchase a 5 channel amp I can either leave the 5th channel open or use it to bi-amp my center channel. I’m trying to keep it as cheap as possible due to the cost of finishing the new room so my choices are the new Outlaw 5000 which is $649 + shipping amplifier or the Emotiva A-500 amplifier which is $499 shipped. I know nothing about the Emotiva amplifiers but if I go the Emotiva route which will essentially be driving the ceilings speakers will I notice a difference in sound quality over the Outlaw amplifier? So I guess my question is, would you guys just spend the roughly extra $200 for the Outlaw amp or go with the Emotiva amp? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Money Talks, Mine says Goodbye Rob!!!!

Comments

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    I would say as Long as the amp will be used for ambient speakers , go for the Emo.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    edited November 2018
    I have the Outlaw 5000 and I have owned the TOTL Emotiva amps. I can’t speak o the new basx Emotiva but I can tell you I don’t miss the Emotiva and that’s not saying I didn’t like them, I did. The lowly Outlaw 5000 is just a really good sounding amp that serves my tastes well. It does not have the best SNR on paper but otherwise I really really like it. I have it powering a 5 channel LSiM HT and pulling double duty for two channel music at this time.

So yeah get the Outlaw. I didn’t pay shipping for my 5000, that’s odd it’s not included.

Post edited by jeremymarcinko on
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • Thorton
    Thorton Posts: 1,324
    If you already like you 7900 get the 5000 it's only 150 more. If you're tight on money, wait a couple of months till you have it.
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________
    Ethernet Filter: GigaFOILv4 with Keces P3 LPS
    Source: Roon via ethernet to DAC interface
    DAC: Bricasti M1SE
    Pre/Pro: Marantz AV8805
    Tube Preamp Buffer: Tortuga TPB.V1
    Amp1: Nord One NC1200DM Signature, Amp2: W4S MC-5, AMP3: W4S MMC-7
    Front: Salk SoundScape 8's, Center: Salk SoundScape C7
    Surround: Polk FXIA6, Surround Back: Polk RTIA9, Atmos: Polk 70-RT
    Subs: 2 - Rythmik F25's
    IC & Speaker Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, Signal Cable
    Power Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, PS Audio
    Room Treatments: GIK Acoustics
  • Grimster74
    Grimster74 Posts: 2,564
    Well, pulled the trigger on the Outlaw 5000 today. Outlaws Black Friday Sale started this week. Finally have all the gear for the new H/T room so know I just need to finish the room, should be painting this week.
    Money Talks, Mine says Goodbye Rob!!!!
  • Congrats
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    Nice amp, I was looking at that before I got the XPA3.

The BasX-A300 I had was a good amp for the price. But an A500 or a 5000 I think I would have gotten the 5000.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music