New amp question?

I’ll be going to a 11.3.4 setup in my new theater room soon. My question is my current setup will be the Anthem AVM60 and a Outlaw 7900 for seven of the channels. I’m looking for a amp to drive the .4 channels but finding a 4 channel amp is next to impossible. I figured if I purchase a 5 channel amp I can either leave the 5th channel open or use it to bi-amp my center channel. I’m trying to keep it as cheap as possible due to the cost of finishing the new room so my choices are the new Outlaw 5000 which is $649 + shipping amplifier or the Emotiva A-500 amplifier which is $499 shipped. I know nothing about the Emotiva amplifiers but if I go the Emotiva route which will essentially be driving the ceilings speakers will I notice a difference in sound quality over the Outlaw amplifier? So I guess my question is, would you guys just spend the roughly extra $200 for the Outlaw amp or go with the Emotiva amp? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Money Talks, Mine says Goodbye Rob!!!!
"My Theater Room"

Comments

• tonybtonyb Posts: 30,176
    I would say as Long as the amp will be used for ambient speakers , go for the Emo.
    HT SYSTEM-2 channel
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Dynaudio Audience 72
    Polk FX500 surrounds
    Cary xciter dac
    Cullen modded Sonos
    Joule la-100 pre
    B&k Ref 4420 amp

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Analysis plus crystal oval ic's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    B&k 1430
    Tad 803 speakers
  • jeremymarcinkojeremymarcinko Posts: 3,264
    edited November 10
    I have the Outlaw 5000 and I have owned the TOTL Emotiva amps. I can’t speak o the new basx Emotiva but I can tell you I don’t miss the Emotiva and that’s not saying I didn’t like them, I did. The lowly Outlaw 5000 is just a really good sounding amp that serves my tastes well. It does not have the best SNR on paper but otherwise I really really like it. I have it powering a 5 channel LSiM HT and pulling double duty for two channel music at this time.

So yeah get the Outlaw. I didn’t pay shipping for my 5000, that’s odd it’s not included.

Post edited by jeremymarcinko on
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • ThortonThorton Posts: 1,128
    If you already like you 7900 get the 5000 it's only 150 more. If you're tight on money, wait a couple of months till you have it.
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________
    Source: Sonos - W4S Mod, DAC: W4S DAC-2
    Pre/Pro: Marantz AV8805
    Amp1: W4S MC-5, AMP2: W4S MMC-7
    Front: Salk SoundScape 8's, Center: Salk SoundScape C7
    Surround: Polk FXIA6, Surround Back: Polk RTIA9, Atmos: Polk 70-RT
    Subs: 2 - Rythmik F25's
    IC & Speaker Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, Signal Cable
    Power Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, PS Audio
    Room Treatments: GIK Acoustics
  • Grimster74Grimster74 Posts: 2,473
    Well, pulled the trigger on the Outlaw 5000 today. Outlaws Black Friday Sale started this week. Finally have all the gear for the new H/T room so know I just need to finish the room, should be painting this week.
    Money Talks, Mine says Goodbye Rob!!!!
    "My Theater Room"
  • Congrats
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • mrlorenmrloren Posts: 1,595
    Nice amp, I was looking at that before I got the XPA3.

The BasX-A300 I had was a good amp for the price. But an A500 or a 5000 I think I would have gotten the 5000.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.

Family Room:
    Samsung UN60H,
    Denon AVR-X4400H, Emotiva XPA3 GEN3
    Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM, Sony DVP-NS3100ES, WD Live HUB.
    Main: Polk Signature S60
    Center: Polk CSi-A6
    Front High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT
    Surrounds: Polk T15
    Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5

Bed Room;
    Sony KDF-E42A10,
    Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270
    Main: Polk Signature S20
    Center: Polk Signature S35
    Rear: Polk R15
    Sub: HSU STF-2