Where’s the “Signature “ bipolar speakers?

Instead of purchasing the FXI A6 dipole/ bipolar speakers, Which are, from many comment sections, wonderful. I am willing to practice some patience and wait for a “Signature series “ set of bipole surrounds. Does anyone know if they are in our near future? The merits of this design are hard to ignore and concur with it’s growing popularity. I’m not ocd but having the speakers match in my theatre rooms seems more attractive and actually make much more sense.

Best Answers

Answers

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    It would be redundant. Your surround speakers are for ambient sounds so they don't really have to voice match the front 3.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Understandable. But I was wondering if Polk had floated any rumors about bipolar Signature surrounds. Thanks.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    It is a curious omission from the line, but Polk does market their smaller Signature bookshelf speakers as appropriate for surround sound duties. In practice in most home theater systems, those would function pretty much the same way as Polk's more traditional dipole/bipole surround speakers. The bipole setting on the dedicated type surround speakers is for direct sound radiation and the dipole setting is for more diffuse surround sound. It is the dipole function that is missing from the Signature line rather than bipole. When I ran a 7.1 system with LSi speakers I usually had a pair of surround speakers at the rear set in bipole and on the sides set at dipole.

If I was running a Signature home theater system I would get four S15 speakers and run them in 7.1 mode. I would not use the older FXi line.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    I would get the FXi surrounds. As others have mentioned, marching surrounds really isn’t essential for movies.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    I have the fxi-3s as my surrounds and have the Signature 60's. I think they sound great together. It would be different if you were trying to pair them with the LSIs.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2