Ford and GM to reduce / cease car production

124»

Comments

• Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    head gasket imbroglio

I just spoke with a few ASE certified mechanics, and apparently you're not even allowed to use the word "imbroglio" in the same sentence as the phrase "head gasket". :p
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited November 2018
    My son has a 2013 Forester, has had the short block replaced (oil consumption problem) which Subaru deemed normal in the beginning, until a class action LS was brought against Subaru. Subie said it was normal to consume 1qt oil every 1000 miles....LOL. This was repaired under warranty in 2016. Then a couple months ago he had the rack and pinion replaced due to leaking. That was replaced under the extended warranty he purchased to supplement the normal warranty once it expired. At the same time the transmission mount had broken causing a knocking noise in reverse.

God forbid he has any head gasket issues, although I believe that was remedied in 2012. Yet Subaru let this go for too many years before actually doing anything about it.

In all fairness it is a good running, driving vehicle and comfortable, just not reliable.

Post edited by motorhead43026 on
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,556
    The CAFE standards under Obama were getting tougher.
    With Trump's rollback of CAFE, GM and Ford can dump cars
    and go with big and $$$$. This is exactly why they made the
    call to go with SUV/trucks.
    Can you believe there's Porsche 4 doors and SUVs?
    This surely must mean the end times are near!
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    Viking64 wrote: »
    head gasket imbroglio

I just spoke with a few ASE certified mechanics, and apparently you're not even allowed to use the word "imbroglio" in the same sentence as the phrase "head gasket". :p

Wouldnta stopped Click and Clack.
    Just thought I should point that out here.
    tonyb wrote: »
    My sister has a Suburu SUV, piece of junk....drives like a cement truck and about as noisy as one too.

Some of us would see those road characteristics as a plus. :)
  • mhardy6647
    My son has a 2013 Forester, has had the short block replaced (oil consumption problem) which Subaru deemed normal in the beginning, until a class action LS was brought against Subaru. Subie said it was normal to consume 1qt oil every 1000 miles....LOL. This was repaired under warranty in 2016. Then a couple months ago he had the rack and pinion replaced due to leaking. That was replaced under the extended warranty he purchased to supplement the normal warranty once it expired. At the same time the transmission mount had broken causing a knocking noise in reverse.

God forbid he has any head gasket issues, although I believe that was remedied in 2012. Yet Subaru let this go for too many years before actually doing anything about it.

In all fairness it is a good running, driving vehicle and comfortable, just not reliable.

Heh -- my '06 RAV4 4 cyl has congenital oil consumption issues, too, which Toyota handled similarly to Subaru, apparently.

Apparently (and for whatever reason) the seized engines* didn't quite get to the level of a class-action lawsuit.

_________
    * I guess that, since the Toyotas have a 5000 mile idiot light to tell folks when they need an oil change, many Toyota owners never actually checked their oil level... and some of 'em would run out of oil before 5000 miles was up.

The root cause of all this was (apparently) the use of 0W-20 oil to keep the fuel economy rating as high as possible :p Other than being hydrophobic, I figure 0W-20 oil and water are pretty similar in terms of weight and viscosity ;)

• Viking64

Ummmmmm.....what? :p
  • Click and Clack, now those two were funny. Great how they fed off each other.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

• mhardy6647
    edited November 2018

The Tappet Brothers

4bv165c5bs9j.png

As an aside, their actual, brick & mortar facility, the Good News Garage, was literally across the street from the admin building of the first biotech company I worked for, in deepest, darkest Cambridgeport. I once had a catastrophic water pump failure in my (ahem) 1984 Cavalier hatchback that had to be repaired stat. Our chief purchasing person was dating a mechanic there at the time (no, it wasn't Crusty... although he was kinda crusty, as I recall), and she got my car in for a real-time repair that day.

I only found out afterwards that this was my (or my car's) Kevin Bacon-esque brush with fame.

:)
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767

Car Talk. You can get reruns of their shows streamed on the podcasts app in iTunes. Funny guys. :)
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    edited November 2018
    mlistens03 wrote: »

Car Talk. You can get reruns of their shows streamed on the podcasts app in iTunes. Funny guys. :)

iTunes. :p

Not iTunes, on iPhones, that's what I meant to say. :D
    iTunes is the streaming service I use if I can't play a record, CD, or listen to the radio.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
  • Viking64

The Tappet Brothers

As an aside, their actual, brick & mortar facility, the Good News Garage, was literally across the street from the admin building of the first biotech company I worked for, in deepest, darkest Cambridgeport. I once had a catastrophic water pump failure in my (ahem) 1984 Cavalier hatchback that had to be repaired stat. Our chief purchasing person was dating a mechanic there at the time (no, it wasn't Crusty... although he was kinda crusty, as I recall), and she got my car in for a real-time repair that day.

I only found out afterwards that this was my (or my car's) Kevin Bacon-esque brush with fame.

Several of my film credits bear 1 or 2 degrees of separation from Kevin Bacon. :p

I had heard of "Frick and Frack", the famous Swiss skaters of yesteryear, but not these guys.

As far as Cambridge(port), myself, several friends, and the infamous GG Allin, crashed a party there one Saturday night in September, 1988. HAHAHAHAHA
  • Viking64
    edited November 2018
    I once had a catastrophic water pump failure

That sounds like some serious water pump umbrage. :p
  • Viking64
    mlistens03 wrote: »

Not iTunes, on iPhones, that's what I meant to say. :D
    iTunes is the streaming service I use if I can't play a record, CD, or listen to the radio.

iPhones????????

45w8rg56l30d.jpg
  • mhardy6647

The Tappet Brothers

Several of my film credits bear 1 or 2 degrees of separation from Kevin Bacon. :p

I had heard of "Frick and Frack", the famous Swiss skaters of yesteryear, but not these guys.

As far as Cambridge(port), myself, several friends, and the infamous GG Allin, crashed a party there one Saturday night in September, 1988. HAHAHAHAHA

In my grad school days, I had a good friend, John Lye, whose Triumph TR-3 ended up being a co-star in Barry Levinson's Diner. That's my Kevin Bacon story :)

• motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited November 2018

• verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Talk about how the market changes. Urban mobility, ride sharing, electrification, and emerging markets. GM unveiled it's latest foray into the electrified urban mobility market. The e-Bike!
    9reh6efrul9r.png
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • mhardy6647
    edited November 2018
    Funny you mention that.

You know, I teach a course in Boston in the fall semesters only. This fall, when I went back, the garage where I park had a big rack of those Bluebikes outside (not there the year before) :)https://www.bluebikes.com/ I think these are old-school, person powered bikes, though. I just know that I have to dodge 'em :) My commute is a little too long for biking (although the inbound commute is pretty much all downhill).

Boston is big on this kind of stuff -- I guess the little pickup scooters that are the bane of California are catchin' on there too, now.

I also use the e-bike business in one of my lectures to illustrate that "innovation" isn't always expensive and high-tech.

vleo0vwed21q.png

This Dutch company was having trouble with shipping their e-bikes. The bikes weren't surviving shipping very well. They tried all manner of sophisticated packaging, but they were getting eaten alive with returns and repairs. In a meeting one day, someone in the company remarked that flat screen TVs get shipped all over the world, in pretty simple (flat!) packaging, and they didn't seem to have a lot of trouble with damage en route.

The innovative idea that emerged from this comment: change the bike
    packaging to look like a big screen TV! That they did -- and, by the reports I saw at the time (2016), with great success.

My point to the students -- innovation doesn't have to be big or expensive... it just has to be...innovative. :)
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    We have e-bikes for use all over campus (1 square mile plus). We use Maven, shuttle buses, etc., to get across campus. Took me a while to get used to it, but it beats the heck over getting into my car, giving up a primo parking spot, trying to find another spot, you know what I mean.

Nowadays I mainly use Maven. I can call up a shuttle on my phone's app, in 5 minutes or less, get picked up and dropped off at the door. Urban mobility, I'm starting to get it! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,949
    There are e scooters all over the Georgia Tech campus....seems to be be 2 major companies who rent them and they are strategically placed all over campus. They seem quite popular.