Greta Van Fleet's new album.

What a crappy recording!!!! The music itself is actually quite good, but the amount of compression on the cd is the worst I have EVER heard. It is so bad as to be unlistenable, which sucks, because they are a great band.

Now that they have a studio behind them, I was expecting this would sound better than their self-produced stuff that was coming out over the past couple of years. I don't know if the LP version or download is better, but steer well clear of the cd.
The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson

Comments

• verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    What a crappy recording!!!! The music itself is actually quite good, but the amount of compression on the cd is the worst I have EVER heard. It is so bad as to be unlistenable, which sucks, because they are a great band.

Now that they have a studio behind them, I was expecting this would sound better than their self-produced stuff that was coming out over the past couple of years. I don't know if the LP version or download is better, but steer well clear of the cd.

Great. I’ll just leave mine in the wrapper! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    Pitchfork didn't like it. Pretty disappointing, because I wanted to hear good things about it. I just figured it had to be good.
    https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/greta-van-fleet-anthem-of-the-peaceful-army/
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited October 2018
    The LP suffers from the same. I listened to it once, all I need.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    Yep its heavily compressed and a mess if you ask me, I liked the ep they had out last year this new full length lp is disappointing to say the least. I hear less Plant and more Geddy Lee, and the second song could of came off the Rush Debut album. The lead singer needs to find his own self and quit trying to be somebody else. I doubt my CD will get a second listen.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • tophatjohnny
    tophatjohnny Posts: 4,162
    Novelty Group. Great?? Ahh..not. Cool?? Sure because the band imulates one of the greatest masters of legal plagiarism amongst the Blues legends ever to hit the industry in such fashion. All of whom were far better players at the the same age as these kids are. Still cool.
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • Dabutcher
    Dabutcher Posts: 2,588
    I listened to it on Amazon Prime. No need to listen again. Very disappointed. Glad I did not spend money on it. I will still go see them in concert next time they come around. Missed them last time and I heard it was amazing ! Peace. D
    MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”
  • vcwatkins
    vcwatkins Posts: 1,993
    They were pretty fantastic live at Shaky Knees. Better than I expected.

To me, the album is okay - not exactly inspired, but fairly enjoyable. The production certainly doesn't help. I'll listen more than once.
    Beach Audio: Rega RP6 (mods) - AT33PTG/II - Parks Budgie SUT - PSAudio NPC * Eversolo DMP-A6 * Schiit Yggy * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Pass Aleph 30 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl (mods) * PSAudio PPP3
    Beach Study: Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra & Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * DH Labs SS Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354 * PSA Dectet
    Beach Master: WiiM Pro * Dayens Menuetto * Zu Libtec * Dynaudio Audience 50
    Beach Den: Bluesound Powernode 2i * DH Labs SS Q10 * Zu Omen DWII * Richard Gray RGPC
    Town Study: WiiM Pro * Chord Qute (Pardo) * Elekit TU-8600 * MIT S3 * Revel M22 * Beyer DT-990 * Shunyata Hydra 2
    Town Den: Music Hall mm5.1se - Denon DL-103r - Jolida JD9ii (mods) * WiiM Pro * Cary xCiter * Rogue 99 Magnum * Schiit Aegir * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2tl (mods) * Dectet * Bottlehead Crack - Senn 600
    Town Porch: WiiM Pro Plus * Sunfire Sig II * Canare 4S11 * Magnepan 1.6 * Dectet
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,033
    vcwatkins wrote: »
    They were pretty fantastic live at Shaky Knees. Better than I expected.

To me, the album is okay - not exactly inspired, but fairly enjoyable. The production certainly doesn't help. I'll listen more than once.

The album itself is ok song-wise, but the production value is the worst I have ever encountered, by a long shot.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Still in the wrapper gents :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    New artists have very little control. Hopefully in the future they gain that control.

There are plenty of talented recording masters and surrounded by the best technology now days. Just wish these producers and reps would pull their heads out and see/(hear) what we want..ie Adele, poor girl :'(
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    No kidding Ron they (producers) foul up their own product.
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,021
    edited October 2018
    I've only listened to it in my car*, so not exactly critical listening. I haven't listened all the way through yet, but I don't think I like it as much as their last album. Can't speak to the production quality, but I trust those who have already posted that says it's not good:(

* Jeep Wrangler: possibly the worst vehicle for listening to music
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    Viking64 wrote: »
    Van fleet???

I regret a van fleet.
  • decal
    decal Posts: 3,205
    gudnoyez sez........
    The lead singer needs to find his own self and quit trying to be somebody else.

I agree wholeheartedly.
    If you can't hear a difference, don't waste your money.
  • Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,192
    I just saw where they are going to be on SNL this week.
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Wasn't Kingdom Come the original Zeppelin rip off? These guys are just cheap imitations.
  • cvc
    cvc Posts: 65
    I have no idea regarding the recording quality but not surprised to hear it's bad.. Now, as stated here, some like the music and others believe they're just a rip off of Zeppelin, etc..

I've watched their live vids on youtube and they're very impressive.. They''re great musicians..You can tell the brothers have been jamming together for many, many years because they sound tight.. Years and years of jamming in the garage together will do this.. Also, like him or not, the singer can belt it out effortlessly.. He's very impressive.. I hope to see them live some day..

I really think and hope we are about to experience a surge in rock music again.. The movie about Queen scored at the Golden Globes and like them or not, Greta is hot right now.. That means the possibility of all labels looking for "a new rock band" to support and sell to us..

That's what happens in the music industry.. Something gets hot and they all try to jump on the next wave.. I hope rock music is the next wave!.. Try and support Greta in hopes that more bands come our way..
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Like the old saying goes

Rock Will Never Die

Gawd I hope not
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    NOT in MY HOUSE B)B)

I was not as impressed with the new album from them it has some snoozers for sure.
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,832
    Agree with Greta, I’m hoping Starcrawler pushes to the next level on their new album..
  • warren
    warren Posts: 756
    Not ....
    Some final words,
    "If you keep banging your head against the wall,
    you're going to have headaches."
    Warren
  • reverb
    reverb Posts: 67
    IMHO their Saturday Night Live appearance was cringe-worthy. Almost comical. I likes some of the stuff I had heard before but this was just horrific. Maybe it was just too big a stage for them this early, who knows.
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited January 2019
    ^^they did look a bit uncomfortable. Being so young I think they are still in the, I cant believe this is happening to us stage. It will be interesting to see where they are in another 5 years.

2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • tophatjohnny
    Harsh and off the mark remarks referring to the SNL performance. Not sure what triggers such reactions as the audience sure loved it. No I'm not a fan but these young brothers threw down right there. I know I know..to each their own. I enjoyed it.
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    Harsh and off the mark remarks referring to the SNL performance. Not sure what triggers such reactions as the audience sure loved it. No I'm not a fan but these young brothers threw down right there. I know I know..to each their own. I enjoyed it.

Bashing Greta Van Fleet is in vogue in 2019. Enjoying Greta Van Fleet is so 2018. Aintcha heard? :p
  • tophatjohnny
    Viking64 wrote: »

Bashing Greta Van Fleet is in vogue in 2019. Enjoying Greta Van Fleet is so 2018. Aintcha heard? :p

😂😂😂😂