Need new central heat/AC

13»

Comments

• rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    Yes. York and Coleman are owned by Johnson Controls.

I don’t Presley care for either brand.
  • charley95
    charley95 Posts: 908
    I had that brand installed Heat/Air back in 2011. So far so good. An old retired HVAC guy I know installed it for $2900. The only drawback I've had so far is some kind of temp. sensor rod in the furnace unit. Not really sure what it's called but, I have to clean it annually. It's a straight rod about the diameter of a coat hanger. It gets corroded on the tip and I use sandpaper to clean it. If not cleaned the furnace runs continuously.

Hopefully it will last till I sell and leave this miserable state in 6 years.
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    That’s your flame sensor. Carbon build up needs to be cleaned off every once in a great while, but you shouldn’t have to clean it yearly.

May want to get it looked at, just to be safe.
  • charley95
    charley95 Posts: 908
    It's actually been about 2 years since I've cleaned it. It's in such a tight area that it's easy to drop the screw that holds it in place. I usually don't mess with it if the furnace is functioning properly as it is so far. It's such a PITA to keep from dropping the screw which I'd never find. Any future problems I should be aware of with this brand?

So far it's performed well. It's just louder than the old Rheem I removed that was installed in 1977.
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    edited October 2018
    charley95 wrote: »
    It's actually been about 2 years since I've cleaned it. It's in such a tight area that it's easy to drop the screw that holds it in place. I usually don't mess with it if the furnace is functioning properly as it is so far. It's such a PITA to keep from dropping the screw which I'd never find. Any future problems I should be aware of with this brand?

So far it's performed well. It's just louder than the old Rheem I removed that was installed in 1977.

Magnetic tipped screwdriver :smile: ... Saved my bacon on more than one occasion.

Or one of these

lisle-other-shop-equipment-lis66540-64_1000.jpg
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)