And so it begins, the end of Sears

Comments

• kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,938
    Meh....Sears was cool for awhile but everything evolves and then eventually dies. Captialism is about making money and is supposed to be about competition. End of story.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 24,974
    edited October 2018
    I can tell you are a very astute historian... It was the Japanese that were placed in internment camps, not the Chinese.

If you want to discuss this privately, I will be happy to. Might I suggest watching or reading some of Dinesh DeSouza's work prior to such discussion. It is important that you understand the truth of that history, rather than simply parrot things you do not understand.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,636
    I can tell you are a very astute historian... It was the Japanese that were placed in internment camps, not the Chinese.

If you want to discuss this privately, I will be happy to. Might I suggest watching or reading some of Dinesh DeSouza's work prior to such discussion. It is important that you understand the truth of that history, rather than simply parrot things you do not understand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8lT1o0sDwI
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,936
    edited October 2018

Sorry John I have three of my four kids hanging on me while my wife nurses a broken wrist. Of course you are right that it was the Japanese. An error on my part, and I apologize.

Are there are any other points I stated that you disagree with?
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • nooshinjohn
    rooftop59 wrote: »

Sorry John I have three of my four kids hanging on me while my wife nurses a broken wrist. Of course you are right that it was the Japanese. An error on my part, and I apologize.

I disagree with you spouting off information without context. Take it private if you like and I will be happy to do so.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,936

Ok one last time and then I am out for the night. Other more important responsibilities.

Please tell me what context justified the genocide against native Americans? The kidnapping, selling, brutalizing, and often raping and sometimes killing of native Africans for cheap labor? The continued segregation and domestic terrorism of the ancestors of slaves through thousands of lychings among untold other atrocities? The laws that made women born much more than the property of their husbands?
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • nooshinjohn
    Responded to PRIVATELY!!!

• Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,006
    edited October 2018
    :s

Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • nooshinjohn
    Tony M wrote: »
    :s

Wish I could say what I want publicly, but Ken will not tolerate it, nor should he.

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,655

Ok one last time and then I am out for the night. Other more important responsibilities.

Please tell me what context justified the genocide against native Americans? The kidnapping, selling, brutalizing, and often raping and sometimes killing of native Africans for cheap labor? The continued segregation and domestic terrorism of the ancestors of slaves through thousands of lychings among untold other atrocities? The laws that made women born much more than the property of their husbands?

Talk about living in the past......wow!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,655
    I'm so caught up that I left you in the dust.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    Is that a real poncho or a Sears poncho?

Look here brother who you jivin' with that cosmik debris...
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,900
    la2vegas wrote: »
    Tony, I haven't tried on the panties you sent me yet, so by definition they cannot be twisted...

I am not completely against capitalism; I can't be, I own too much crap ;) But lets just call a spade a spade: the essence of capitalism is accumulation of wealth for its own sake. In the heyday of American capitalism, big companies (I'm not talking about mom and pop shops) thought that the best way to make money was to earn people's trust and make products that last. Once they made as much as they could with that model, they had to shift because they needed to accumulate more wealth. So globalization began in earnest (it had been going on since Adam Smith's day) and planned obsolescence (which had been going on since the 1950's) ratcheted into high gear. Then of course came the internet. Companies like Sears couldn't compete, so they die sooner or later. Simple as that. And the march goes on...

You know nothing about Capitalism...

Apparently neither did Sears...

Lmao....you can be darn funny at times
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • nooshinjohn
    edited October 2018
    la2vegas wrote: »
    F1nut wrote: »

Talk about living in the past......wow!

Read some of the previous quotes, I'm sure you'll catch up.

You can’t know history without first understanding the context and having some modicum of understanding the times in which that history was made. Forensics come into play as well, as it is typically the victor that writes the history books, so you have to be able to weed out the self-aggrandizements that sometimes hide the facts.

The question is... what does any of this have to do with Sears? Perhaps Manifest Destiny comes into the equation somehow. I thought they were doomed as soon as they could not figure a way to integrate their catalog empire with an internet presence.

• OleBoot
    OleBoot Posts: 2,041
    I don't post much here about hifi as my stuff is garbage compared to most, but this thread is an example of the reasons I keep coming to look here. Sentimental posts about Sears and rants against capitalism in the same conversation! This is unique even given the eclectic mix on the the interwebs. It's a complete entertainment. However, I always thought that their tires were overpriced.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    cfrizz wrote: »
    I'm sorry, but it's JUST a store, plenty have come and gone and they should have been allowed to die a loooong time ago. That's just life, adapt or die. Just ask Woolworths, Kennedys, Zayres.

Stop living in the past wishing for the good old days which weren't that good and focus on the future. Otherwise, you will end up just as useless and irrelevant as the above stores.

I forgot about Zayre's! OMG lots of memories about that department store growing up!
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • nooshinjohn
    I always loved the Woolworth lunch counter. Yes, I am that old.

And I am working on a plan to open a new Woolworth's, complete with lunch counter and a Pharmacy for my wife, so we can work together. The name "Woolworths" is still in use however, by one of their subsidiaries.... Foot Locker!

• afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Manifest Destiny would have been great, CA would be cut in half by NC. Sweet!
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Mom used to take us there at least twice a month for lunch, and we always came home with those warm Spanish peanuts! Yum.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • nooshinjohn
    @la2vegas... when are we gonna meet up and toss a few beers?

• verb
    One thing that has not been mentioned thus far is the legacy costs that the older institutions must support - pensions.

I'm not saying in any way that is the complete root cause, but IMO a contributor.

Back in the not so far distant day, one could retire from Sears, and other department stores, grocery stores, and the like. Most companies had to service salaries of potential multiple generations of employees that do not work there anymore. The older the company, the bigger the legacy cost is to the point of implosion. Good or bad, right or wrong, as far as I know, most newer companies nowadays do not offer pensions.

Even the company I work for eliminated its pension program. Those of us who were already vested saw the plan frozen, with no increase with time of service. My plan was frozen almost 10 years ago.

Some of the surviving companies (like mine) were able to divest themselves by creating independent companies to manage the pension fund, offer 401k plans, etc.

Even municipalities are making the change. In our local police force, new recruits get no pension, only 401k or equivalent. I have a buddy who recently retired from the force, and his pension is nearly 70% of his salary!

Hard to compete (not impossible) with the internet companies of the world that do not have a legacy cost burden. Or for municipalities to not declare bankruptcy, or raise your taxes. Just my opinion.

Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • OleBoot
    OleBoot Posts: 2,041

Woolworths was in the UK also when I grew up. My Mum had a part time job there at one point on the candy counter. One abiding memory of Wolworths I have is when as a kid I went there to buy a plastic model FN rifle and knew I was a few pennies short. As I handed the money over the counter (filled with display items), I dropped it and the lady behind the counter let me off when we couldn't find the last few pennies. First time I'd ever been duplicitous in my life,
  • verb

We had a Ben Franklin within walking distance of my home growing up!
  • verb
    OleBoot wrote: »

Woolworths was in the UK also when I grew up. My Mum had a part time job there at one point on the candy counter. One abiding memory of Wolworths I have is when as a kid I went there to buy a plastic model FN rifle and knew I was a few pennies short. As I handed the money over the counter (filled with display items), I dropped it and the lady behind the counter let me off when we couldn't find the last few pennies. First time I'd ever been duplicitous in my life,

Woolworths are still in Mexico. Not sure if they are affiliated.
  • nooshinjohn
    verb wrote: »

We had a Ben Franklin within walking distance of my home growing up!
    9k6mqicb9wyn.jpg

• nooshinjohn
    OleBoot wrote: »
    I don't post much here about hifi as my stuff is garbage compared to most...
    So long as it's not Bose and Kraco… you are good. :p

• mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165

I'm soooo confused! Did someone say those were good things? (Duh, they're not.) I enjoyed the old Sears ads earlier in the thread before it began to spiral down the hole.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,006
    Ben Franklin .05 & .10 ( "5 and dime" )
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.