When your system is a performance

VR3
VR3 Posts: 27,970
And not a reproduction

Changes everything. You listen for the music and not the system. The way your system presents the music is a performance.

Can't get enough of it, any genre, any song, it all sounds amazing. Goose bump meter is high with this one.
- Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.

Comments

• VR3
    Where I ended up

Yamaha wxc50 >>>> musical fidelity tri Vista dac
    Odyssey Kismet Integrated with mullard tubes
    Jm lab mezzo utopias

Supra Quadrax speaker cables
    Supra analog and digital interconnects
    Supra Lorad power cables except on Yamaha, that is pangea
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    I'll be in town tomorrow...... ;)
  • VR3
    Call me when you are coming lol
  • VR3
    Agreed there. The super towers were amazing if you wanted to know the exact height of a singer and whether they used a. 47 bass string versus a. 52 on a guitar but they were hard to enjoy for daily listening.

The Utopias are just fun
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Congrats Trey! That's a very nice place to be :)
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    VR3 wrote: »
    The Utopias are just fun
    Yes...yes, they are B) Congrats, Trey!
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    So you're saying "Utopia" is a fitting name?
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    If I didn't know better, I'd say Trey just did a Kramer.....slapped his coin on the counter and declared "I'm out". :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    can't pull his arse out of the sweet spot
  • tonyb
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    can't pull his arse out of the sweet spot

That's what his wife said too..... :D:D
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • VR3
    Lol you guys are funny.

Definitely one of the first pair of speakers I can listen to while albums, play lists with minimal skips, etc. Everything has an enjoyable presentation, good stuff
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    I had many magical times listening to a ton of speakers. We ask ourselves, can it get any better than this?

This passion we have is a ton of fun and enlightenment too.
    xlduop1dvbld.png

I hope your not thinking of upgrading those crossovers in them, are you? :)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • VR3
    I don't think I will do the crossovers, I feel adding any resolution may be a bad at this point lol.
  • tonyb
    I don't think I will do the crossovers, I feel adding any resolution may be a bad at this point lol.

Agreed....too much resolution can be a bad thing and takes away from the musicality. You become too focused on hearing a pin drop than listening to the whole musical portrait presented in front of you.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885

Hell yeah buddy! I’ve been on the focal train for a while. I find them to be a very transparent and non-coloured speaker, with accurate timber, and realistic sizing within the soundstage. Soundstage depth and width has me hooked on these things, the midrange is absolutely fantastic. They play honestly of anything you give them. I’ve heard countless times from friends say, “holy shi! This sounds live!”

My only experience has been Electra and aria in my home. And of course sopra 2,3, and utopia in stores. Sopra No 2 being my next speaker.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• VR3
    I've always been fascinated with the focal utopia and Wilson Alexandria stuff. I'm more of a focal fan than a Wilson fan though.

The mezzo is a cool speaker because it is basically a monitor speaker with an integrated sub, granted I know it is a 3 way speaker, but it does a good job getting out of its own way.

I also like that it is a low maintenance speaker, the tweeter is easy to replace and can be sourced. The next generation Be tweeters have to be sent back to focal and cost over a grand to replace per tweeter.

Big difference for a speaker you may want to keep a while...

Anyways, focal is solid stuff for sure
  • tonyb
    The mezzo is a cool speaker because it is basically a monitor speaker with an integrated sub, granted I know it is a 3 way speaker, but it does a good job getting out of its own way.

Many bigger floorstanders are. My Legacy Focus was the same way as described by Bill himself. Not everyone though can integrate that design well. Focal does an excellent job at it as well from the few times I've heard them.

Not keen on the powered subs in speakers though. For some reason, they don't integrate as well as the passives.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • VR3
    I like powered subs if you are going for Ht, for music it is a tough pill to swallow. Especially in Def Techs newer line where the subs are going upwards of 120hz plus... Very very localized bass and they are no longer mirror imaged which adds. Insult to injury.

Legacy makes some nice speakers, heard great things
  • gce
    gce Posts: 2,158
    Congrats Trey...enjoy!
    Anaheim Hills CA,
    HT 5.1: Anthem MRX 720 / BDP-Denon DBT1713UD / Polkaudio LSiM703 / W4S mAmp's / Polkaudio LSiM706c / Polkaudio LSiM702F/X's / SVS PC12-NSD / Panasonic TC P55VT30

2 Channel: Rogue RP-5 / WireWorld Electra power cord / Marantz TT-15S1/ Ortofon - Quintet Black MC / Marantz NA8005 DAC / W4S mAmp's / Synology DS 216+ll-4TB / Polkaudio LSiM703
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,927
    sounding real as opposed to realistic, to me, is what single ended direct-heated triodes and high-sensitivity loudspeakers bring to the party.