2»

Comments

• FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    la2vegas wrote: »
    mdaudioguy wrote: »
    I decided to get a new sub and shift the little Sunfire to HT-only duty. The more I listened, the more I noticed it just wasn't as musical as I had hoped. It has great output for its size, but only in what seems to be a narrow range. Since my hybrid system is biased towards 2-channel, the Sunfire gets demoted. Also, this will allow me to dedicate one sub to HT LFE duty.

Next sub up for 2-channel... a Martin Logan Dynamo 700w. I've set several of these up for others and have always been impressed with this 10" down-firing sealed box. Since they've recently been discontinued, they're currently available at a ridiculous price.

Although it comes wireless ready, I think the line inputs will be better for 2-channel performance. This sub seems like it should supplement my bookshelf speakers nicely.

A couple of oddities - a non-stop bright blue flashing LED on the back when not connected wirelessly. Seriously, this thing doesn't give up. Also, it comes with spikes - that get inserted into the rubber feet. Yes, these spikes decouple! I'll use it this way for a while, but eventually, I think it will benefit from proper spiking.

What's a good price on those Martin Logan subs on the used market? Maybe I'll follow your lead.
    Idk, but around $450 new online. Sold for $700-$800 in the past year. Some used on eBay under $300, but who knows what you get there.

Thanks, I'll take a peek locally

*Comes back 3 days later* Hey guys, look what I just picked up for $30...
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    FestYboy wrote: »
    I decided to get a new sub and shift the little Sunfire to HT-only duty. The more I listened, the more I noticed it just wasn't as musical as I had hoped. It has great output for its size, but only in what seems to be a narrow range. Since my hybrid system is biased towards 2-channel, the Sunfire gets demoted. Also, this will allow me to dedicate one sub to HT LFE duty.

Next sub up for 2-channel... a Martin Logan Dynamo 700w. I've set several of these up for others and have always been impressed with this 10" down-firing sealed box. Since they've recently been discontinued, they're currently available at a ridiculous price.

Although it comes wireless ready, I think the line inputs will be better for 2-channel performance. This sub seems like it should supplement my bookshelf speakers nicely.

A couple of oddities - a non-stop bright blue flashing LED on the back when not connected wirelessly. Seriously, this thing doesn't give up. Also, it comes with spikes - that get inserted into the rubber feet. Yes, these spikes decouple! I'll use it this way for a while, but eventually, I think it will benefit from proper spiking.

What's a good price on those Martin Logan subs on the used market? Maybe I'll follow your lead.
    Idk, but around $450 new online. Sold for $700-$800 in the past year. Some used on eBay under $300, but who knows what you get there.

$30???? Do tell.
  • mdaudioguy
    My integrated has pre-outs for subwoofer connection. At the moment, I just have a single RCA sub cable connected, but I'm thinking two would be better. Any suggestions for a PAIR of decent sub cables? Maybe 2 meters in the $100 range?

Is two better though or does it not make a difference? I always wondered but just went with the flow.

*Edit* I read that the preouts are usually set to output mono so it wouldn't make much of a difference, that is unless yours is different. Maybe the manual of the integrated would clarify.

To be clear, these are not dedicated subwoofer outputs, like an AVR has, but true L&R pre-outs. So, yes, I'm shorting myself with just one cable. The sub is only getting the low end from one channel. I need two cables.
  • mdaudioguy
    And, it's pretty clear the little Sunfire is getting demoted again. It can't do HT justice, even in a hybrid rig where HT is priority #2. Our workout room has a TV with Polk in-walls that could use a little help. The only question is, another Dynamo 700, or its bigger brother, the 12" 1000?
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861

$30???? Do tell.

Typical @la2vegas purchase
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,559
    zdxvbi4dbrsc.jpg

Surprised to see no toe-in on those speakers.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    a non-stop bright blue flashing LED on the back when not connected wirelessly. Seriously, this thing doesn't give up.

I've got the fix for that.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mdaudioguy

$30???? Do tell.

Typical @la2vegas purchase

Ah, gotcha! I didn't read the sarcasm, and was wondering where I might snag one for that, or what kind of condition it might be in, for that matter... :D
  • mdaudioguy
    Clipdat wrote: »
    zdxvbi4dbrsc.jpg

Surprised to see no toe-in on those speakers.

I've only briefly experimented with toe-in, with missed results. There's an existing imaging issue with the right speaker being only one foot from the side wall, while the left is in a more open space. I have a couple of 2x2 acoustic panels I want to experiment with first, before I mess with positioning.
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    Why not build a small platform for the smaller sub and paint it black so it would blend in more making the two subs the same height.
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    edited October 2018
    Willow wrote: »
    Why not build a small platform for the smaller sub and paint it black so it would blend in more making the two subs the same height.

And where would you source this elusive black paint? :D

Geez... it is and has always been available....... Right next to the unicorns!