Subwoofer Placement Nightmare

tortfsr24
tortfsr24 Posts: 79
edited April 2002 in Technical/Setup
Dear Forum:

Allright, just moved into a new house and have been planning my new home theater for months. However, my equipment takes up more room than I thought, i.e., room is smaller than I thought.

Here's the deal. I have across the front of my sound stage the following from left to right:

subwoofer, RT 800i, TV (1000p Center), RT 800i, subwoofer

However, I have no room for my equipment rack and the only options involve expensive custom cabinentry.

I have thought of removing one of the subwoofers, but need to know where to place it and how to hook it up. Currently, both subs are hooked up to the LFE output on my receiver via a y-adapter. Realistically, the only place I could put the sub is between the left and right rear center surround effect speakers on the rear wall. Any body ever tried placing a sub behind the listening position? Would I keep it hooked to the LFE or use the preouts on the L/R center surround effects channel, or hook it up to the preouts on the L/R surround channel?

Although subs are "omnidirectional", I'm worried about it messing up the sound stage, i.e., being able to tell its behind me and distracting/disturbing the soundstage.

My rear speakers are set up as follows, from left to right:

ls/fx (Left side wall), RT12 (Left Surround)(Corner, Rear Wall), RT12(Left Center Surround)(Rear Wall), Chair (Slightly in front of Center Surrounds), RT12 (Right Center Surround)(Rear Wall), RT12(Right Surround)(Rear Wall), ls/fx (Right side wall)

I was thinking of placing the sub behind the chair between the left and right center surrounds.

What sayeth the group?

Thanks,

Brent:confused:
Post edited by tortfsr24 on

Comments

• ntculenuff
    ntculenuff Posts: 1,146
    edited April 2002
    my front stage goes as this:
    rt800
    cs350ls--sub
    rt800

rear stage: c o u c h
    rtf/x-sub
    rtf/x

front stage sub is connected thru L&R pre out and second sub connected to lfe. i have had no problems with localization, it did take a few adjustments to blend both but it can be done. until i bought a second sub i had always kept my sub in the rear i like the sound better
    Speakers:
    Definitive BP7001sc mains
    Definitive C/L/R 3000 center
    Polk RT800i's rears
    Definitive supercube I Sub
    Audio:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010
    Emotiva XPA five Gen 3
    OPPO BDP-103 CD, SACD, DVD-A
    Video:
    Panasonic TC-P65ZT60
    OPPO BDP-103 Bluray
    Directv x's 2
  • juice21
    juice21 Posts: 1,866
    edited April 2002
    i have my second sub right beside my couch. i find that with two subs, the localization problem can be easily overcome and you get good solid bass and can't pinpoint where it is coming from. as with any sub placement it takes work, but it can be done with good results! good luck. BTW you can see in plan my sub(s) placement in the system showcase.
  • tortfsr24
    edited April 2002
    Juice:

How do you have your powered subs hooked up? Like ntculnuff or a different way?

Thanks,
    Brent
  • wangotango68
    wangotango68 Posts: 1,056
    edited April 2002
    mine is

sda2b----cs400i----sda2b

fxsurronds----fxsurronds
    sub

scott:cool:
  • juice21
    juice21 Posts: 1,866
    edited April 2002
    tortfsr24 - both hooked up via LFE out on my rec.
  • tortfsr24
    edited April 2002
    Where can I get a subwoofer cable longer than 8 meters?
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited April 2002
    Brent, I have two subs also that I could not (would not) fit in the front stage.With my rt1000's I am running 4 subs, all are going through my LFE using Moster bass cables and Y adapters. The best and simplist way I have tried. Sounds incrediable with both music and movies. Monster Cable Bass 300 makes a 24 footer.$59 through Crutchfield. The key is to have good deep subs so not to be able to pinpoint the position in the room. The HT THX setups all have two subs. I really the like the front to back sub setup. Having the 2 subs was one of my biggest improvements next to 6.1. Check out the system showcase to see my arrangement. Have Fun!!!!!:D
  • haroo
    haroo Posts: 83
    edited April 2002
    rt800i~~~~~cs400i~~~~~rt800i |
    PSW250.......TV&STEREO..................|
    ...|
    ..........I...............................I..........I..|
    love....I...............................Ilove...I..|
    saet...I................................Isaet..I..| ..........I................................I.........I..| <--WALL
    ....|
    .......................|
    ...................I....MY.....I........paradigm|
    ...................ICHAIR...I....100 passive|
    ...................I.....:D.....I..........sub.......|
    FX300i........
    .............FX300i|
    .........................................................._
    .......................................................... ..........................................................
    .......................................................... .......................................................... .......................................................... <- WALK WAY
    .......................................................... ..........................................................
    ............r10.....................r10.............. _
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    --MARANTZ SR18ex 140wpc x 5 (high current/direct amp)thx-ex "ultra"
    electrohome tube amp 15watt. pr channel(aprox.1955a.d.) for 2 channel audio{recently recapped& tubed-5ar4power rect. & 12au7)
    -kenwood amp(km-996/140wpc(used for 7.1 rears(thx ex)
    -toshiba dvd video/audio player(progressive scan) sd-4700
    -sony sacd cd player scd-xe670
    -nakamichi "music bank cd player "6+1disk(20bit dac)
    -toshiba hifi vcr (v3 pro head)
    -motorola digital cable box
    -RCA 32' "home theater" PIP tv
    -polk RT800i x 2 (mains) ~bi-wired
    -polk sc400i x 1 (center) ~bi-wired
    -polk fx300i x 2 (side fx) ~di-pole
    -polk r10 x 2 (rears)
    -polk pws250 (powered sub)
    -2x173ltr(48"-16")sono subs(powered by kenwood kr-7200 250watt & w/ audiosource EQ (model eq eight/series II)
    -Thorens td-166 mk II/Grado silver fs1
    -Thorens td-160/empire 66cart
    -Dual 601
    -D.I.Y. carfea "little big horns"-(pioneer full range 8" & fostex 4" compression horn tweaters
    -sony (ps1)
    -sony (ps2)

-haroo, "GOD gave you the gift of sound, Your gift to God is what you do with it!"
    "marantz haroo"
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • pensacola
    pensacola Posts: 269
    edited April 2002
    Sshhh...:eek:
    it's a secret code...

I I I |
    I I I |
    I I I |
    love I Ilove I |
    saet I Isaet I |
    I I I | <--WALL

|
    |

Give War A Chance
  • haroo
    haroo Posts: 83
    edited April 2002
    lol oops.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    --MARANTZ SR18ex 140wpc x 5 (high current/direct amp)thx-ex "ultra"
    electrohome tube amp 15watt. pr channel(aprox.1955a.d.) for 2 channel audio{recently recapped& tubed-5ar4power rect. & 12au7)
    -kenwood amp(km-996/140wpc(used for 7.1 rears(thx ex)
    -toshiba dvd video/audio player(progressive scan) sd-4700
    -sony sacd cd player scd-xe670
    -nakamichi "music bank cd player "6+1disk(20bit dac)
    -toshiba hifi vcr (v3 pro head)
    -motorola digital cable box
    -RCA 32' "home theater" PIP tv
    -polk RT800i x 2 (mains) ~bi-wired
    -polk sc400i x 1 (center) ~bi-wired
    -polk fx300i x 2 (side fx) ~di-pole
    -polk r10 x 2 (rears)
    -polk pws250 (powered sub)
    -2x173ltr(48"-16")sono subs(powered by kenwood kr-7200 250watt & w/ audiosource EQ (model eq eight/series II)
    -Thorens td-166 mk II/Grado silver fs1
    -Thorens td-160/empire 66cart
    -Dual 601
    -D.I.Y. carfea "little big horns"-(pioneer full range 8" & fostex 4" compression horn tweaters
    -sony (ps1)
    -sony (ps2)

-haroo, "GOD gave you the gift of sound, Your gift to God is what you do with it!"
    "marantz haroo"
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • Handyhaver
    Handyhaver Posts: 66
    edited April 2002
    You can save yourself $10. I just bought a 24ft monster cable here for 49.95

Monster Cable MB300 SW-24 24' Subwoofer Interconnect

Click here: Comparison Shop for Audio Cables - eCoustics.com - Shopping Comparison

I hooked up my psw650 via lfe & I gotta say I liked it better wired through the front l/r channels.(As per POLKS preferred hook up) Seemed to have ALOT more punch.
    I just can't seemed to get it to where I like it. Anybody want to buy a 24' monster cable?? Only used for about an hour??

Mark
    You can check out any time you like..,
    but you can never leave...........
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited April 2002
    my setup is

___800i[tv with 400i on top]800i audio rack

500i __________________________ 500i
    sub in wall_____love seat

____________ couch
    ____ 500i sub behind couch 500i
    hope this looks right when post
    i udto have sub in my audio rack till i got a new one and it dident fit any more you usto be able to tell where the bass was comeing from till i added the cheap sub behind the couch bass is omni directonal so if you ar not a bass head and you put your sub in a corner it is not that noticable
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited April 2002
    Stack those bad boys!!!!

I have a similar system and here's my lay-out left to right:

RT800i; two stacked PSW350's on LFE Y-splitter; 53" HDTV w/ CS400i on top; component rack; RT800i

I think my stacked subs look cool, and I have not noticed any bass problems whatsoever.

However, the PSW350 is a front firing sub, with rear firing ports, so stacking works OK. If your subs fire downwards, or the ports fire downwards, stacking MIGHT create some problems, but not necessarily.

Give it a try! The stacked sub will open up the space needed for your component rack.

Spec
    :D
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited April 2002
    Ok here's my 2 cent's,
    You should take one of your sub's and place it in the back of the room out of phase,you also need to tune both sub's to work in harmony with each other.This is a difficult task.If you provide a picture of the room, I could help you further.
    But here's a general help.
    Save your money on the long sub wire unless you have it.But some coax wire,rg6 quad shield.Use F TO RCA end's.
    Keep the rear sub as far away from listening seating as possible.You don't want to use the bathroom 3 to 4 time's during a movie cause of it.You might not even need the sub if your room is small.I alway's believe 2 sub's are better then one, but if is a problem working it in, then get rid of it and maybe trade both sub's in for 1 better one.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • PETERNG
    PETERNG Posts: 918
    edited April 2002
    mine is

PSW1200sub----RT20P----CS1000----RT20p

FX500----FX500
    PSW150 sub

I used MC Mseries for the Speaker cables...all equipment are the Pioneer Elite series...Since my living room is kinda large, this set up work very well....

• Handyhaver
    Handyhaver Posts: 66
    edited April 2002
    This was about the only way I could set mine up:

RM7600

center
    sat.. 36"jvc.. sat (fronts on 48" stands)

psw650

sat... ....sat

(rears wall mounted in corners about 6.5')

this is my set up except the front stage is of to the right at a 45* angle due to a stairway. Not exactly the ideal set up but it will due until I finish off the basement. That will jam!!!

Mark
    You can check out any time you like..,
    but you can never leave...........
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited April 2002
    Originally posted by tortfsr24
    Where can I get a subwoofer cable longer than 8 meters?
    www.ixoscable.com

they have 9 and 12 meter sub cables. Better than monster cable too! IMHO
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited April 2002