Yep, This is happening!!!

2»

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    delkal wrote: »
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Would something like this void the oppo factory warranty on anything?

I thinking if you have loading and drive problems under factory warranty time frame.

You are assuming there is still a warranty. Last I heard OPPO is done with and they contracted with a third party for warranty claims. I don't think anyone knows what that means yet. And I hope they have the repair parts.

Aren't you a buzzkill. Last i read oppo was going to still support their products including all firmware needs.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034

I thinking if you have loading and drive problems under factory warranty time frame.

You are assuming there is still a warranty. Last I heard OPPO is done with and they contracted with a third party for warranty claims. I don't think anyone knows what that means yet. And I hope they have the repair parts.

Aren't you a buzzkill. Last i read oppo was going to still support their products including all firmware needs.

This is what Oppo told me as well. They are not marketing them any more, but are not going out of business.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    Oppo sent out a new firmware update for the 205 at the end of June and said they would continue to provide periodic updates.
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165

This is what Oppo told me as well. They are not marketing them any more, but are not going out of business.
    They're one of the bigger mobile phone manufacturers in the world, so still a viable company.
  • delkal
    delkal Posts: 764
    edited October 2018
    Sorry to be a buzzkill but here is an older article from Forbes. Not sure if anything changed but it was clear at the time that Oppo was cashing out (or taking the money and run?) and letting a third party be responsible for warranty work. They are supposed to keep giving software updates but for how long who knows.

"The tech support, warranty, servicing and spares business will apparently be handled by an as yet unnamed third party. It's also worth mentioning that Oppo's mobile phone business is unaffected by the announcement."

https://forbes.com/sites/johnarcher/2018/04/02/oppo-shock-popular-av-brand-announces-that-its-time-to-say-goodbye/#4376fcd83acc

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    That Forbes article was updated with more recent information and commentary from Oppo and Cambridge Audio indicating their ongoing firmware support and collaboration with Mediatek which does most of the work on the 4K platform. Sony, and probably others, continue to use the Mediatek platform for 4K players.
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,834
    Maybe this will help kill the buzzkill..

While I hesitate to recommend any unit you cannot audition beforehand, Modwright takes the risk out of owning its modified Oppo, Although the factory warranty is voided, Modwright offers a one-year warranty of its own and offers to service the unit should it fail in a way that would otherwise be covered by the factory warranty, for cost of parts alone. Because the Oppo is so reliable, this is “very seldom necessary,” according to Dan. Even Oppo’s Jason Liao praised the workmanship of the Modwright modifications as “exceptional.” One rarely hears this kind of praise about any modification from the manufacturer of the original equipment.

One of my audio buddies and a frequent listener to my system said that he thought that I was playing my turntable when the Modwright-Oppo was in the system. I must admit that there were times when I was so lost in the music that I had to look up to see which source was playing. That is very high praise and has never happened to me before with a digital source in my home.

Conclusion
    So are the Modwright “Truth” modifications to the Oppo player worth the cost and the risk? The answer to that question is a resounding, “Yes!” The build-quality is exemplary and the sonics are exceptional. It is the first digital player I have had in my listening room that didn’t make me want to go back to my analog rig right away, and that’s because it sounds so much like analog in many respects, without giving up the bass extension and control, clarity, fine detail resolution and retrieval, and convenience that can make digital so attractive. With outstanding sonics that can make you forget you’re listening to digital, and its remarkable flexibility and compatibility when playing discs from a player or a computer-audio setup, I suspect this is one universal player that you’ll be hanging on to for a long time. While I’m unwilling to abandon my analog rig, I can see why others, like Arnie, have chosen to do take this path, particularly when one feeds the Modwright-Oppo first-rate, high-resolution source material. The Modwright Oppo is now my digital reference.

That is just part of the article....
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    Do it, and don't look back!
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    edited October 2018
    Congrats.

I've owned the Signature Truth ModWright Sony 999ES and Sony 9100ES. 5687 tubes, tube regulated PS. Good stuff. Also had a couple of his pre amps, SWL 9.0SE and the SWLP 9.0SE, the P being built in tube phono.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • stretchl
    stretchl Posts: 1,334
    edited October 2018
    Here’s the question, even assuming that the warranty suddenly disappeared into the ether (which I don’t believe it has): Does the vanishingly remote chance of the need to file a warranty claim negate the value/desirability of the unit, any modifications notwithstanding? The answer is clearly, “no.” I can’t remember ever having to have had warranty work done on any electronics purchase, and certainly never have done so for hifi gear. I’m sure I’m not the only member of that group. This debate over the warranty is much ado about nothing.
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'
    - Isaac Asimov

Hi-Fi
    Apple Lossless --> Squeezebox Touch --> Joule Electra LA-100 Mark iii --> Odyssey Khartargo Mono Plus --> LSiM-705's
    Cabling by Groneberg
    Visuals
    https://media.illinois.edu/journalism/ledford-charles-stretch
    bit.ly/stretchonphotojournalism
    http://Vimeo.com/channels/stretchphoto
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    Looks like a great upgrade, will you be using this for audio only? How does this Mod Wright upgrade improve viewing 4k content?
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • Toolfan66
    gudnoyez wrote: »
    Looks like a great upgrade, will you be using this for audio only? How does this Mod Wright upgrade improve viewing 4k content?

Yes I will only be using this for audio only, the upgrade is for only audio as well..

• gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    That's what I thought, good thing you have a second one then for viewing 4k material. Enjoy.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    Major, major modifications that, if well implemented, could be very substantial improvements... although one could debate the value of vacuum tube vs. solid state power supplies 'til the cows come home ;)
  • Toolfan66
    gudnoyez wrote: »
    That's what I thought, good thing you have a second one then for viewing 4k material. Enjoy.

You can still use the player for all functions.. But yes the one in my HT will stay stock..

• steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    I think I have a woody.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • Toolfan66
    OPPO is on the bus headed to ModWright!!!! Picked up about an hour ago..
  • stretchl
    stretchl Posts: 1,334
    Did u use greyhound’s shipping service. I’ve never used it. How much does it cost and how convenient (or not) is it?
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'
    - Isaac Asimov

Hi-Fi
    Apple Lossless --> Squeezebox Touch --> Joule Electra LA-100 Mark iii --> Odyssey Khartargo Mono Plus --> LSiM-705's
    Cabling by Groneberg
    Visuals
    https://media.illinois.edu/journalism/ledford-charles-stretch
    bit.ly/stretchonphotojournalism
    http://Vimeo.com/channels/stretchphoto
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    steveinaz wrote: »
    I think I have a woody.

:p

9jt8p2j3svs3.jpg