I’m drinking the rogue coolaid! And it’s really good!

I hate to throw numbers out there. But I’ve only spent about 4 years in the 2 channel
Realm. At first I only cared about what sounded good, I was enthusiastic and everything sounded really good!

Unfortunately after some experience I started to get serious, I found myself listening far too critically of my system, I started noticing my enjoyment was being destroyed by my obsession. I was obsessing over the most minute detail. And even worse, I was getting hung up on brand names. I had some really nice gear go through my house, and I just wasn’t enjoying it.

Luckily I spend a fair amount of time in a friends hi-end Audio shop. Listening to expensive systems. And these guys do a lot
Of comparisons, and what’s even better is they’re honest. I’ve ditched some much more expensive brands, and what I’ve found is a real VALUE is Rogue Audio. I have had a stereo 100 in my house for about 3 weeks and this 100 Watts has been the most enjoyable music I have had in a looong time,
And this thing Is super powerful and graceful. For my ears it kills my bryston 4B3 in almost every category except for raw ear bleeding output.

What an amazing amp for the money! Please don’t over look these guys. I swapped the 12AU7S out for 50’s Westinghouse long carbon black plates (thanks Brock) and 50’s Raytheon 12AX7 Long Black shiny plates. The combination is stunning.
2 channel:
Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
Theater:
Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

Comments

• mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    edited October 2018
    I’ve tried many tube combinations on my demo (broken in amp) including 57 herleen Holland long plates, long plate Mullard (Mitchum r code), Valvo Hamburg long plates. And the tube combination of Westinghouse and Raytheon has been the most natural, balanced and stunning soundstage.

As an example herleen long
    Plates had an almost unrealistic holographic soundstage that ruined the music. The soundstage wrapped around your head, it was fun and amazing, detailed, but ultimately fatiguing.

I prefer things to sound pleasing, realistic and easy on my ears.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• mikeyb128
    edited October 2018
    The soundstage is wide, deep, extended on every frequency without overdoing it. Bass is tight. Sometimes I forget it’s there, then it comes on with unexpected authority. It’s detailed without fatigue. Simply amazing! Cymbals have this shimmer and decay that last forever. Did I mention this amp is solid state quiet? This thing also has a switch that puts it into single ended triode ( I think) and the 60 Watts is simply stunning. A little less grunt. But holy **** it’s sound clean.

I was always told my focal Electra’s were hard to drive. Dipping into 3 ohms but at a 91.5db efficiency, in my room these bad boys are killing it.
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    Here's some pics of this cool looking product:

ST100inside_000.jpg

1832799-rogue-audio-stereo-100-tube-amplifier-former-review-sample.jpg

• mikeyb128
    edited October 2018
    Here’s more/actual shots, individual tube bias was all over the place until after about 30 hours, then things locked into place nicely. I’m not a fan of new production tubes, but I have to say these Tung-Sol kt-120’s are a work of art. Absolutely gorgeous tubes, the build is top notch.

rblgl3hrvor1.jpeg
    qimzlj37ptnu.jpeg
    obwx762xqpew.jpeg
    rd34ec2dzcyb.jpeg
    d3cpgqcw5lce.jpeg
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    I have a set of M-120 mono blocks and Magnum 66 pre.......
    Beastly combo. ;)
  • oldrocker
    oldrocker Posts: 2,590
    Good info.

Hmmm, which way to go.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    nice system you put together man, sweeeeet !
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • decal
    decal Posts: 3,205
    I loved my Rogue Tempest Magnum integrated but my Octave V 70 SE bests it in every
    way.
    If you can't hear a difference, don't waste your money.
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    I had and still have the issue of having to back off of my obsession over the little things. Yeah my system is far from perfect, my roo mb is far from perfect and my source is far from perfect but if I am in the right mood it just sounds fantastic.

Need to remind myself to get off the judges seat and just have fun.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    edited October 2018
    I always liked Doro (Mark). Get off the path. Sometimes you find something worthwhile for you.

Congrats! Nice gear! Love that Space 294! Definitely off the path. Lots of folks overlooked Nottingham.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    lightman1 wrote: »
    I have a set of M-120 mono blocks and Magnum 66 pre.......
    Beastly combo. ;)

Now if you could just get them out of long term storage and actually listen to them...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    My buddy’s shop carries Rogue. Always been a fan of the budget minded hifi mentality they have.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,053
    edited October 2018
    Awesome!

Those early "true" Westinghouse made tubes are simply fantastic. One of the true hidden gems as they tend to be kind of rare to find the real deal.

The Raytheon 12AX7's are no slouches either. If you haven't, try a pair of '50-51 black plate Tung Sol 12AX7. One of my favorite combo's is the Tung Sol 12AX7 black plates w/the Westinghouse 12AU7 black plates. Be careful, both are very hard to find and most out there are relabled common tubes like RCA or Sylvania.

You really have to pay attention to construction cues to make sure you are getting what's advertised. Both the Westinghouse and Tung Sol bp's have very specific construction identifiers.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    edited October 2018
    My first Tube Preamp was a Rogue Audio 66 Magnum, at least 10-15 years ago. Have had a piece of their gear in my setup ever since. Good Value, GREAT Service.

btw, Spectacular Two Channel rig you got going there!

• mikeyb128
    First weekend in a long time where I didn’t have anything to do! Was able to really sit down and have a few late and long listening sessions. The break in has been a bit of a roller coaster, but the rogue is breaking in nicely, and is sounding buttery smooth. Nothing budget sounding about this amp. At a cost of almost half of the Bryston 4B3 this amp is killer. I’m still shocked that 100 Watts is driving my Focals to the moon! No signs of compression, and the dynamic range is excellent!

Thanks for all the comments everyone. I have a audioquest thunder power cable on the way for the amp, will swap out my excellent sounding ZU Audio Event, and see what happens.

The bass on this amp is killer! Bone crushing bass from this beast. Absolutely loving it. Stayed up until 3AM twice this long weekend. Been a while since I’ve enjoyed my system this much.
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• mikeyb128
    heiney9 wrote: »
    Awesome!

Those early "true" Westinghouse made tubes are simply fantastic. One of the true hidden gems as they tend to be kind of rare to find the real deal.

The Raytheon 12AX7's are no slouches either. If you haven't, try a pair of '50-51 black plate Tung Sol 12AX7. One of my favorite combo's is the Tung Sol 12AX7 black plates w/the Westinghouse 12AU7 black plates. Be careful, both are very hard to find and most out there are relabled common tubes like RCA or Sylvania.

You really have to pay attention to construction cues to make sure you are getting what's advertised. Both the Westinghouse and Tung Sol bp's have very specific construction identifiers.

H9

As always, you make excellent recommendations. I’m thinking of some 5751’s in the AX7 spot. The problem is that I don’t have any! I have hundreds of tubes. But not one pair of 5751’s! Just what I need is to buy more tubes! Lol
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    You can never have enough...
  • Faustin
    Faustin Posts: 1,149
    Glad you are enjoying the Rogue. I have a Cronus Magnum ll that I really like. I agree, there is nothing"budget" about their products. I have some 5751's in my tube stash. If you are interested in a pair, send me a pm and I can see what I have.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,053
    edited October 2018
    mikeyb128 wrote: »
    heiney9 wrote: »
    Awesome!

H9

As always, you make excellent recommendations. I’m thinking of some 5751’s in the AX7 spot. The problem is that I don’t have any! I have hundreds of tubes. But not one pair of 5751’s! Just what I need is to buy more tubes! Lol

Did you get a pair of Tung Sol 5751's from me or what that Kerry? If not, I highly recommend the Tung Sol 5751. The earlier ones from the late 50's with the horseshoe getter is a tad bit better than the early 60's version. But they are both superb.

GE black plate, early 3 mica with sq getter is excellent as is either the early gray or black plate Sylvania's. But you pay a mint for those especially the Sylvania's. Tung Sol's sort of fly under the radar and I actually prefer them to the Sylvania's.

I'm using a pair of mid 50's Raytheon, 3m, bp, sq getter right now, another superb choice....hard to find. The later 3m bp windmill getter seems to be more available but will set you back some $$$. I think the highs and mids are a bit sweeter with the non-windmill version, but again, both are excellent.

H9

"Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    I ordered some Raytheon from the Russian guy.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    kharp1 wrote: »

I hope the screen print is dry.....

LOL

Kidding Kerry
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    What screen printing? He assured me they were Raytheons, even scribbled it on the box! What more do you need?
  • delkal
    delkal Posts: 764
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    kharp1 wrote: »

I hope the screen print is dry.....

LOL

Kidding Kerry

At least it wasn't done with a Sharpie! Has to be legit.